BIG NEWS: Barton 1792 Distillery is CLOSING its Public Tours Permanently Soon

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Saw this reported on twitter, and hoped it was a late April Fool's joke - but not sure that it is

https://www.lanereport.com/154647/2022/04/barton1792-distillery-discontinues-public-tours/

While not the sexiest of facilities, I always enjoyed their tours which got into the grit of a working distillery.  Definitely planning to do a tour later this month while in Bardstown (and hope other SB members can as well).

That's a shame.

We stopped in there, between tours,  and only had time to check out the gift shop.

The people working there were great. Even though we didn't have time to tour they still hooked us up with a couple of hefty pours. 

• I like it 1

16 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

That's a shame.

We stopped in there, between tours,  and only had time to check out the gift shop.

The people working there were great. Even though we didn't have time to tour they still hooked us up with a couple of hefty pours. 

I have done this exact thing numerous times.   My first stop upon hitting B'town, when attending the Spring or Fall SB.com gatherings, has been (except for the very first time) my "get started" pours.   HA!   

I usually could talk 'em into an ounce or so of each of the three things were currently pouring for the tours.    Barton isn't sexy; but they make solid Bourbons.   Too damned bad they'll be discontinuing the public tours.     I wonder if the gift shop will close as well.   I imagine so; but, hey... ya' never know.

• I like it 1

Their site shows no tour availability, but I emailed them asking about getting a tour the last weekend of April.  Here's their response (note it was plain text; the bold emphasis is mine):

"Currently we are experiencing some transitions with our visitor center. We are not currently accepting online or over the phone reservations in advance.  However, we will still be offering tours and tastings, day of on a walk-in basis. If we have the availability to do so, we will be more than happy to add you onto an experience, or we can welcome you into our center for shopping. "

I bet they'd love the show of support if we brought a big group from SB.com there that weekend.  I'm definitely planning on getting a final tour in.  Who's interested?

• I like it 2

I wonder what the issue (really) was at Barton?  Safety perhaps? Lots of traffic in the areas in and around the gift shop/bottling hall, warehouse and still house areas. 🤔

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I wonder what the issue (really) was at Barton?  Safety perhaps? Lots of traffic in the areas in and around the gift shop/bottling hall, warehouse and still house areas. 🤔

Biba! Joe

No way I know any more than anybody else outside Sazerac; but, I bet you're onto one of the main issues there, Joe.   Their roadways in/around the place are busy with their own vehicles, plus vendor traffic and deliveries all the time... along with tours and their autos.   Add to that the fact that pedestrians on those tours occasionally wander away from the groups and into the busy roadway(s): Safety Hazard.

12 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

9 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

No way I know any more than anybody else outside Sazerac; but, I bet you're onto one of the main issues there, Joe.   Their roadways in/around the place are busy with their own vehicles, plus vendor traffic and deliveries all the time... along with tours and their autos.   Add to that the fact that pedestrians on those tours occasionally wander away from the groups and into the busy roadway(s): Safety Hazard.

The narrow road down, and having to have folks sign in, and being close enough to the production - always felt like it would never scale like the other big distilleries (like if they started to get a lot of tour traffic - it would really start to be a problem for employees/vendors getting in/out).  I wondered if some regulations around safety came down and would have been too great a burden, given the tour was free.  Definitely will ask while there - although not sure if we'll ever know the 'real story'.  The dirt and grime of the place was part of the charm.  At least we'll still have the lovely aroma of spent mash drying to waft over us at the GN :D 

• I like it 3

Speaking of free tours, I think that BT is now the only legacy distiller that doesn’t charge for tours.

Here’s something interesting for y’all to contemplate. I believe that charging for tours all started with Woodford Reserve. Many years ago @p_elliott and I went to WR for a tour. We went to the customer service desk to sign in and we were told a tour was $5.00. We were kinda surprised because there was no mention of that on their website. We asked the guy at the counter what was up with that. He told us that they had just started charging for tours. Buses filled with people wanting tours started showing up more and more frequently at the distillery. It started to disrupt things quite a bit at their visitor center, so they started charging $5.00 for tours. The rest as they say, is history. <_<

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

On 4/8/2022 at 5:13 PM, GaryT said:

Their site shows no tour availability, but I emailed them asking about getting a tour the last weekend of April.  Here's their response (note it was plain text; the bold emphasis is mine):

"Currently we are experiencing some transitions with our visitor center. We are not currently accepting online or over the phone reservations in advance.  However, we will still be offering tours and tastings, day of on a walk-in basis. If we have the availability to do so, we will be more than happy to add you onto an experience, or we can welcome you into our center for shopping. "

I bet they'd love the show of support if we brought a big group from SB.com there that weekend.  I'm definitely planning on getting a final tour in.  Who's interested?

Count Adam and me in Gary! We were there a few years ago for a tour and it was the only time that a guide pulled whiskey out of a barrel for the group. I swear it was the best bourbon I have ever tasted.

Prost!!  Phil 

• I like it 1

On 4/8/2022 at 5:13 PM, GaryT said:

Gary,

It will depend on when it's scheduled.  Matt and I got to the planning game late this year and so our activity schedule is a little screwy.  I would love one last go though. 

• I like it 2

Gary, If we can do first thing Friday morning (4/29), I’m definitely in for a final tour.

I'm good with that (although we may have to determine what "first thing" is ;) )  I hadn't made a single reservation or plan for this Bardstown visit.  Last time we were there in April 2019, my Dad and I did a lot on Friday (Castle & Key, Stitzel Weller/Bulleit, Michters, Beam's Urban Stillhouse, Old Forrester).  This year - not trying to cram a bunch in so I'm game for an early Friday tour!

• I like it 2

Dammit I wish I could get the time off to be there! Not sure Stephanie would be real happy if I quit my job so I could go drinking a couple thousand miles away. Y'all are gonna have to tear it up without me, I'm afraid. Just don't do anything I might, and you'll probably be safe.

• I like it 3

14 hours ago, jbutler said:

Dammit I wish I could get the time off to be there! Not sure Stephanie would be real happy if I quit my job so I could go drinking a couple thousand miles away. Y'all are gonna have to tear it up without me, I'm afraid. Just don't do anything I might, and you'll probably be safe.

Yeah Boss, it’s been too long since we’ve enjoyed your company and exploits in the Motherland.  We’ll miss you, but rest assured the Black & Gold will be flying!  ✊

59627529-6773-4E8E-8983-12F4A9D7FD9D.jpeg

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.