BOTM 05/22 Knob Creek 9yr

flahute
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Last month we checked in on a former stalwart that used to have a 12yr age statement and that is now NAS and the reaction from you all was...........tepid at best.

This month we check in on another stalwart that suffered the same fate but then in an unusual move reversed course and brought the age statement back.

I remember well the announcement which gave me enough time to go out and stock up on age stated product - some of which I still have. Because of that, I never bought a bottle of the NAS product. Many of you know that young Beam does not agree with me so I never took the plunge. And so I was rationing the former 9yr product and getting by on the still age stated KCSiB when Beam decided to bring the age statement back. I did not wait long to buy a bottle because I wanted to see if the quality was still there and I'm very happy to report that it is. With the single barrel product now being scarce the KC9yr is basically my only connection to standard Beam. The 12yr fills in the gap for the non existent single barrel but the returned 9yr age stated is now the day to day and easily obtainable. (Booker's is way out due to the price and declining quality).

So Beam is struggling to get their inventory issues figured out but they can still throw us a lifeline with a high quality 9yr age stated product at a good price and in today's market that is saying a lot.

• I like it 5

I did the same thing - stocked up on KC 9yr. @ $22 to $25 a 750 when the rumor re: age statement removal circulated.  STILL have multiple bottles from back then.  I did do a couple SBSs with that old stash and the NAS and then again with the new 9yr when it cropped up. I never really found much of a difference, maybe a little more corn than the old 9yr but not much other difference, and that disappeared with the new 9yr.  OTHER THAN PRICE!  With some patience, I did find the very few (like three) NAS KCs I bought for under $25 although somewhere around $27-$30 was the more common offering price here so I passed.  Because of thishere BOTM, I just did internet visits to my "KC @ $22-$25" stores and found to my horror that every single store now sells the current KC 9yr for $36-$39 a 750.

• I like it 1

KC is one of my favorites but haven't purchased in one for probably a year (hate the wax seal).  You've inspired me to pick up a 9 yr on my next visit.

• I like it 1

I have enjoyed the BotM posts (well, those and many more besides).  

Believe it or not, I have never had a KC of any sort.  I look forward to the, umm, deflowering process.  Bought some before joining here and even more after.  To start with the basic version and work my way up the chain?  Or start at the top and work my way down?  Decisions, decisions, decisions of a decidedly First-World nature (for which I am most grateful).

Picked up a number of other bourbons based on referrals here.  Trying new things, comparing, bringing friends and family into the process.  It has been fun.

Thanks to those who take the time to share your experience.  This group definitely leans old-school, I like the contrast to much of what else is out there.

Salud!

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, TunnelTiger said:

KC is one of my favorites but haven't purchased in one for probably a year (hate the wax seal).  You've inspired me to pick up a 9 yr on my next visit.

They have drastically improved the wax! It comes off easy like Makers Mark.

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, Anwalt said:

I have enjoyed the BotM posts (well, those and many more besides).  

Believe it or not, I have never had a KC of any sort.  I look forward to the, umm, deflowering process.  Bought some before joining here and even more after.  To start with the basic version and work my way up the chain?  Or start at the top and work my way down?  Decisions, decisions, decisions of a decidedly First-World nature (for which I am most grateful).

Picked up a number of other bourbons based on referrals here.  Trying new things, comparing, bringing friends and family into the process.  It has been fun.

Thanks to those who take the time to share your experience.  This group definitely leans old-school, I like the contrast to much of what else is out there.

Salud!

We normally suggest starting at the bottom to get a feel for the "house style" as we call it and then work up but in this market where KC12 and KCSiB (120 proof) are hard to come by if you see either of those two buy them on sight.

• I like it 3

12 hours ago, flahute said:

We normally suggest starting at the bottom to get a feel for the "house style" as we call it and then work up but in this market where KC12 and KCSiB (120 proof) are hard to come by if you see either of those two buy them on sight.

Sister found KC12 for $55 at a supermarket in Indy.  She picked up two of them for me.  I look forward to trying them.  Didn't want to buy more, I've been on too much of a tear lately.  Will start with regular 9, then store pick, then 12, then 15.  We'll see how they compare.

• I like it 2

I was looking for an excuse to crack the 9 year bottle that I snagged at the Beam distillery.  We got to fill them, (or watch them fill after we rinsed them in the bourbon wash), and stick a thumb-print on top of the seal, after they dipped them.

The plan was to do a SBS with a bottle that I've had on hand for a few years, vs a newer 9 year that I bought a month, or so, ago.

Can't do it.    I pulled out the older bottle, and it's the SiB 120 proof version 😅

beam wash.jpg

knob creek sib.jpg

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 6

Thanks for the suggestion, Great and Powerful BOTM Determinator!  I love it when the bourbon of the month is something I possess in my meager, but growing, inventory. Having a nice mid-week pour at the moment. Funny, I ate a rather large cinnamon roll about 20 minutes ago, and I thought the sweetness of the bourbon wouldn't hold up as a result of aforementioned cinnamon roll, but it seems to have instead been enhanced by it.  Cinnamon, vanilla, and an intense sweetness like confectioners sugar are really hitting on the palate and the nose. I usually get a somewhat pronounced tannic finish from KC9, but not so tonight. 

• I like it 1

On 5/4/2022 at 9:10 AM, Skinsfan1311 said:

I was looking for an excuse to crack the 9 year bottle that I snagged at the Beam distillery.  We got to fill them, (or watch them fill after we rinsed them in the bourbon wash), and stick a thumb-print on top of the seal, after they dipped them.

The plan was to do a SBS with a bottle that I've had on hand for a few years, vs a newer 9 year that I bought a month, or so, ago.

Can't do it.    I pulled out the older bottle, and it's the SiB 120 proof version 😅

beam wash.jpg

knob creek sib.jpg

Yeah, that's a cool thing they have going there. 

A lot of people crap on the Beam distillery tour experience, but I always tell everyone to take the longer Beam tour and you will be rewarded with the Knob Creek experience.  I got to operate a barrel filler pump and of course all the stuff that you just described (following the bottling process with your very own bottle).  Great access to the barrel dump line too, which I found interesting.  Of course I'm talking pre-covid times; I don't have any idea what the tour experience looks like right now.

• I like it 1

Our fearless leader Steve continues to kill it with great BOTM choices! 

I am a huge Knob Creek fan and that includes the standard KC9 version.  KC9 is in my top 5 of "desert island" spirits.  I always say that if someone gave me nothing but KC9 and WT101 for the rest of my days, I would be satisfied.  Knob Creek and WT together scratch my main bourbon itches (KC as a "brown sugar bomb" and WT for the "Spicy Side of life") every bit as well as any other bourbon combinations can do.

• I like it 7

2 hours ago, Kepler said:

Yeah, that's a cool thing they have going there. 

A lot of people crap on the Beam distillery tour experience, but I always tell everyone to take the longer Beam tour and you will be rewarded with the Knob Creek experience.  I got to operate a barrel filler pump and of course all the stuff that you just described (following the bottling process with your very own bottle).  Great access to the barrel dump line too, which I found interesting.  Of course I'm talking pre-covid times; I don't have any idea what the tour experience looks like right now.

Yup!

We toured the distillery,  on our first Kentucky trip and were pleasantly surprised at how much we enjoyed it.  It was one of our favorites. I got to help dump a barrel. We begged the guide for a sip, to no avail. 😂

20180420_103725.jpg

• I like it 6

12 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Yup!

We toured the distillery,  on our first Kentucky trip and were pleasantly surprised at how much we enjoyed it.  It was one of our favorites. I got to help dump a barrel. We begged the guide for a sip, to no avail. 😂

20180420_103725.jpg

That's awesome!

• I like it 2

9 hours ago, Kepler said:

That's awesome!

It was.

It was our first Kentucky trip.   On that trip, we also toured Woodford, Buffalo Trace, Stitzel Weller, Maker's, Heaven Hill, Barton, Angel's Envy, Jeptha Creed & Alltech.    Beam was one of the first tours and, I thought that I would like that one the least.   It was one of our favorites and, I can highly recommend the tour, especially for first-timers. 

If you're a distillery "vet" I can understand the reticence, (after all...the distilling process is pretty much the same at all of them), but it's a great tour for first-timers.

• I like it 3

8 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

It was.

It was our first Kentucky trip.   On that trip, we also toured Woodford, Buffalo Trace, Stitzel Weller, Maker's, Heaven Hill, Barton, Angel's Envy, Jeptha Creed & Alltech.    Beam was one of the first tours and, I thought that I would like that one the least.   It was one of our favorites and, I can highly recommend the tour, especially for first-timers. 

If you're a distillery "vet" I can understand the reticence, (after all...the distilling process is pretty much the same at all of them), but it's a great tour for first-timers.

I totally agree.   But it has to be the long full tour, not the Stillhouse experience or whatever they are calling it these days.  That short tasting tour is what gives the Beam distillery tour experience a bad name.

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 2

23 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Yup!

20180420_103725.jpg

Same, I audibly cried out in pain when they dumped the glass in and was tempted to stick my mouth under the barrel. Was a great tour and excited to crack my Lil’ Dilly’s blend in due time.

52C82FBF-4BB1-41AD-AED0-64D71683FEC8.jpeg

867D4E0B-CF26-4BBD-A268-6E20679A7F21.jpeg

CF10B6CC-C04C-4EB8-B774-C2369A89CA86.jpeg

• I like it 5

I only started in 2017, so I believe the NAS was in full swing. I never purchased one because my favorite bourbon of that year was a LS KC120. What an intro to KC! Got about a case and a half of that particular one & have one unopened left. 😪

The return of the age statement has put this 9yr BOTM booger in my 'opened have arounds' though I prefer the 12 year.

When I don't know what I want to pour on any particular day, I always go to my decanter or a KC. Sometimes the decanter is not really what I want but the KC never disappoints...

• I like it 4

52 minutes ago, bayouredd said:

I only started in 2017, so I believe the NAS was in full swing. I never purchased one because my favorite bourbon of that year was a LS KC120. What an intro to KC! Got about a case and a half of that particular one & have one unopened left. 😪

The return of the age statement has put this 9yr BOTM booger in my 'opened have arounds' though I prefer the 12 year.

When I don't know what I want to pour on any particular day, I always go to my decanter or a KC. Sometimes the decanter is not really what I want but the KC never disappoints...

Wild Turkey has “The Flock”. 
Four Roses has “The Cult”.

Weller has “Weller Whores”. 
Dickel has “Dick Heads”??? 

The above is part of a post of mine from another thread. Gotta stay consistent. Here’s to all the KC lovers. 🤗

Knob Creek has “Knob Heads”.

image.jpeg.3cfedc2fb9ccb5131c4acc94e3df4a4c.jpeg

Biba! Joe

" I never met a Weller I didn't like"

• I like it 6

I actually had a bottle of KC in my hand yesterday, but decided to pass. FWIW, I did a “Beam Dance” a number of years ago. This was just after the time of the fiasco concerning the KC shortage in 2009. Any of y’all remember that?  Bourbon started becoming more popular, and Beam didn’t have enough aged distillate to bottle KC. At the time, Beam sent out empty bottles with notes saying “Thanks For Nothing”. Later on when KC became available again, Beam came out with KC t-shirts that said “I Survived The Bourbon Drought Of 2009”. I had both at one time. ;) Anyway, I was informed of a bar/restaurant that was reducing/changing it’s liquor inventory to better serve its (younger? :unsure:customer base. I was offered a deal that I couldn’t possibly turn down. IIRC, I paid around $100.00-$120.00 for nine bottles. The KC and Beam Black were liters. Not sure about the WR.

I’ve had a number of bottles of KC over the years, and I don’t have anything bad to say about it. It’s just that my taste preferences lie elsewhere. 😉

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg

• I like it 6

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I actually had a bottle of KC in my hand yesterday, but decided to pass. FWIW, I did a “Beam Dance” a number of years ago. This was just after the time of the fiasco concerning the KC shortage in 2009. Any of y’all remember that?  Bourbon started becoming more popular, and Beam didn’t have enough aged distillate to bottle KC. At the time, Beam sent out empty bottles with notes saying “Thanks For Nothing”. Later on when KC became available again, Beam came out with KC t-shirts that said “I Survived The Bourbon Drought Of 2009”. I had both at one time. ;) Anyway, I was informed of a bar/restaurant that was reducing/changing it’s liquor inventory to better serve its (younger? :unsure:customer base. I was offered a deal that I couldn’t possibly turn down. IIRC, I paid around $100.00-$120.00 for nine bottles. The KC and Beam Black were liters. Not sure about the WR.

I’ve had a number of bottles of KC over the years, and I don’t have anything bad to say about it. It’s just that my taste preferences lie elsewhere. 😉

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg

I would pay good money for one of those shirts. KC and OF100 were my gateway bourbons and enjoy them every time.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I actually had a bottle of KC in my hand yesterday, but decided to pass. FWIW, I did a “Beam Dance” a number of years ago. This was just after the time of the fiasco concerning the KC shortage in 2009. Any of y’all remember that? 

Holy, cow, Joe.  My head completely forgot about the 2009 shortage.  THAT is why I drifted away from KC 9yr which was a staple of my move from craft beer, JD on the rocks, and cocktails to bourbon neat.  Couldn't find KC, so it became "Out of sight, out of mind".

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

I would pay good money for one of those shirts. KC and OF100 were my gateway bourbons and enjoy them every time.

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Holy, cow, Joe.  My head completely forgot about the 2009 shortage.  THAT is why I drifted away from KC 9yr which was a staple of my move from craft beer, JD on the rocks, and cocktails to bourbon neat.  Couldn't find KC, so it became "Out of sight, out of mind".

I’m a hoarder and usually don’t get rid of anything. At least that’s what my wife says. 🤐 I have no idea where the t-shirt or the piece of paper with the note on it is. I do remember the t-shirt was way too small for me. I may have packed it away somewhere, or given it to my son. The paper may be hiding in one of my bourbon files, folders or books. Who knows? 😐

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

I haven't bought a bottle of KC9 in quite some time,  but I invariably order it in a bar because I know the quality/value proposition is superb.  

• I like it 1

Found a bottle at the state price, so I'll be trying it in the near future.  Neat or on cracked ice?

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.