BOTM 05/22 Knob Creek 9yr

flahute
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

27 minutes ago, Special Reserve said:

Found a bottle at the state price, so I'll be trying it in the near future.  Neat or on cracked ice?

Start neat and then decide if you need to alter it.

• I like it 2

47 minutes ago, flahute said:

Start neat and then decide if you need to alter it.

That is my intent.  It's 120 proof and I haven't been drinking much high proof bourbon lately.  PHC #1 (RIP) was so wonderful over cracked ice.  I'd be a happy camper if this is similar.

• I like it 1

On 5/13/2022 at 5:10 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

It’s just that my taste preferences lie elsewhere. 😉

Well(er), we all know where your taste preferences lie.

• I like it 4

4 hours ago, Special Reserve said:

That is my intent.  It's 120 proof and I haven't been drinking much high proof bourbon lately.  PHC #1 (RIP) was so wonderful over cracked ice.  I'd be a happy camper if this is similar.

Ah! Did not realize you were talking about the 120 proof. This BOTM is the 100 proof version but heck the 120 is also welcome!

Yeah, you will probably want some cracked ice with it after a first sip neat.

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, flahute said:

Ah! Did not realize you were talking about the 120 proof. This BOTM is the 100 proof version but heck the 120 is also welcome!

Yeah, you will probably want some cracked ice with it after a first sip neat.

I had some neat, it's a winner!  Outstanding entry, feel, and finish. Tastes like great bourbon.  I think its sweetness will be better revealed with a little water or over cracked ice.

• I like it 5

On 5/18/2022 at 8:34 AM, Special Reserve said:

I had some neat, it's a winner!  Outstanding entry, feel, and finish. Tastes like great bourbon.  I think its sweetness will be better revealed with a little water or over cracked ice.

This can't be the first time you've tried the KC120 single barrel?  One of my absolute favorites at any price.

• I like it 1

I like both.  However, I have had some really stellar 120 proof single barrels.  I am looking at you Binny's.  Thank you @Lost Pollito!  I have also had some great 120 proof from the Rural Inn in Indy.  Standard 120 is good but not the same.  Both have their place in the bourbon lineup.  Sometimes the single hitter pops a home run, other times the home run hitter blasts one out of the park.

KC9 and KC120 are both good.

• I like it 2

12 hours ago, Kepler said:

This can't be the first time you've tried the KC120 single barrel?  One of my absolute favorites at any price.

For the 120 proof, it was the first time. Hell, this might getting me to like non-wheated bourbon again.

• I like it 2

• 2 weeks later...

A bit late to the party, but I’ll bite. 

KC9 is outstanding. The flavor, the availability, the price. It all coalesces for one of the best readily available bottles on the shelf. I don’t drink it all of the time, but every time I do, I think “I should drink KC9 more often.” 

it’s easy to overlook this one. I usually do. But if a craft distillery came out with a product that tastes half this good, we’d be doing back flips. I’m stoked the age statement returned, and I’m even happier that folks tend to sleep on KC9. Between this, WT101, EW BiB and I’m sure a few others, it’s comforting to know that when I’m thirsty for 100 proof bourbon, I’ll find my needs met at most any liquor store.

• I like it 8

On 6/4/2022 at 12:08 AM, Rhettro said:

A bit late to the party, but I’ll bite. 

KC9 is outstanding. The flavor, the availability, the price. It all coalesces for one of the best readily available bottles on the shelf. I don’t drink it all of the time, but every time I do, I think “I should drink KC9 more often.” 

it’s easy to overlook this one. I usually do. But if a craft distillery came out with a product that tastes half this good, we’d be doing back flips. I’m stoked the age statement returned, and I’m even happier that folks tend to sleep on KC9. Between this, WT101, EW BiB and I’m sure a few others, it’s comforting to know that when I’m thirsty for 100 proof bourbon, I’ll find my needs met at most any liquor store.

Agreed, 100 %

It never disappoints and is reasonably prices and easily available.

What's not to love?

• I like it 2

At 9 years old and 100 proof, the regular KC is up there with the 8 year bottled in bond top shelf standard from back in the day.

Of course, because it does not carry the B.I.B. designation, KC is free to combine barrels from different seasons in the batch (as long as they're at least 9 years old).

For me, it goes back to give us decent age statement and proof, forget the gimmicks.

• I like it 1

KCs 9 years are at the limit for me, as I tend to prefer my Beams in the 6-7yr, and even less range.  A bit more juicy there, while 9 and above can get a tad dry at times.    Regardless, I always enjoy it, and drink it fairly often.  I always like it when I see it on a bar shelf when I am somewhere unfamiliar, as I KNOW, I have something very good I can order, should something else not catch my fancy.  More times than not, I go with the KC, anyway.

To me, Knob Creek has earned Icon Status in the whiskey world.  Beam’s Small Batch Collection was a huge contributor in America and the world’s acceptance of bourbon as a premium whiskey, and Knob’s quality, availability, and pricing, delivered in spades on that contribution.  Hell, we all should buy at least a couple KCs a year just to pay homage to what it has meant to American Whiskey as a whole.  I’ll buy at least that, because it’s really damn good whiskey!  

• I like it 6

12 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

KCs 9 years are at the limit for me, as I tend to prefer my Beams in the 6-7yr, and even less range.  A bit more juicy there, while 9 and above can get a tad dry at times.    Regardless, I always enjoy it, and drink it fairly often.  I always like it when I see it on a bar shelf when I am somewhere unfamiliar, as I KNOW, I have something very good I can order, should something else not catch my fancy.  More times than not, I go with the KC, anyway.

To me, Knob Creek has earned Icon Status in the whiskey world.  Beam’s Small Batch Collection was a huge contributor in America and the world’s acceptance of bourbon as a premium whiskey, and Knob’s quality, availability, and pricing, delivered in spades on that contribution.  Hell, we all should buy at least a couple KCs a year just to pay homage to what it has meant to American Whiskey as a whole.  I’ll buy at least that, because it’s really damn good whiskey!  

On the first point, I'm kind of the opposite (big surprise, I know).  I start drinking Beam with the 9 yr KC because that's when the peanut notes really mellow to the point of not being distracting. Sometimes I get this with a Bakers or Bookers because of the higher proof burning my taste buds before the peanut hits it but really it is a far back note in KC.

On the second point, 100% agree.  Now I need to run to the liquor store. 😉

• I like it 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2022 at 8:18 PM, smokinjoe said:

I have mixed feelings about KC9 and KC NAS.  I enjoy both.  However, while many yearn for the KC120s at 14+ years.  I find that I prefer KC120 around 10 years.  I think KC sings between 6 to 9 years.

• I like it 2

• 2 months later...

Late to the party as always but myself, I just picked up a KC9 for 31$, it seemed to be the best deal in the store. They also had all their high end stuff in the sunlight of the top shelf which I mentioned to them and they assured me it only stays on the shelf for a day to which I say Malarkey!

I will crack and pour and report back.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.