The Incredible Shrinking Liquor Bottle

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

There’s been some recent discussion of BF releasing a couple of new JD iterations in 700 ml bottles. I really wasn’t digging into this, but while I was doing some general looking around, I found the article linked below. It’s from back in January. Better late than never. 🤔

Biba! Joe

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-incredible-shrinking-liquor-bottle?ref=scroll

• I like it 1

It seems U.S. companies will use different sizes of bottles (including 700ml).

They don't have to abandon 750ml.

Good chance though, 750ml to 700ml bottle, and price not reduced. 🤬

Europe and Asia use 700ml.  Import and export maybe be easier.  Will we see interesting stuff come our way.

Personally, I like 1 Liter size the best, except don't often buy because not good price per volume.  I'm still not sure why. 🤔

• I like it 3

7 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

There’s been some recent discussion of BF releasing a couple of new JD iterations in 700 ml bottles. I really wasn’t digging into this, but while I was doing some general looking around, I found the article linked below. It’s from back in January. Better late than never. 🤔

Biba! Joe

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-incredible-shrinking-liquor-bottle?ref=scroll

Good research Joe, thanks for sharing this article for everyone.  I knew this was coming but I just didn't know when until I recently read a review of the new Jack Daniel's tater releases (Bonded and Triple Mash) and noticed the switch to 700 mL.  It figures that JD would be the first to take the plunge.  I assume they were also the pioneers of reducing proof of bourbon (and "Tennessee whiskey", Lol) down to 80 proof.

I think as manufacturers make the inevitable switch from 750 to 700 mL we should all expect subtle little changes in bottle shapes that downplay the fact the bottles are smaller.  Like most people I would be OK with this if they would just reduce the price, but we know they won't.  Or as an alternative if they offered more top shelf products in the 1 Liter size (and discounted it appropriately), that would be fine as well.  Again, we all know they won't.

• I like it 1

Just think how much money the huge producers like JD/Brown-Forman and Beam will pocket from this.  According to a quick google search, Jack Daniels recorded sales volume in the USA of approximately 5.2 million cases (9 liters per case).   Think how much they will profiteer from this over, say, a 5 year period.

Just by making this seemingly innocuous little packaging change, it will literally be a windfall for them.  Their accountants must be seeing green.

2 hours ago, Kepler said:

Good research Joe, thanks for sharing this article for everyone.  I knew this was coming but I just didn't know when until I recently read a review of the new Jack Daniel's tater releases (Bonded and Triple Mash) and noticed the switch to 700 mL.  It figures that JD would be the first to take the plunge.  I assume they were also the pioneers of reducing proof of bourbon (and "Tennessee whiskey", Lol) down to 80 proof.

I think as manufacturers make the inevitable switch from 750 to 700 mL we should all expect subtle little changes in bottle shapes that downplay the fact the bottles are smaller.  Like most people I would be OK with this if they would just reduce the price, but we know they won't.  Or as an alternative if they offered more top shelf products in the 1 Liter size (and discounted it appropriately), that would be fine as well.  Again, we all know they won't.

Thanks @Kepler, but it wasn’t really research. I was just putzing around the internet. It’s kinda odd the way things run in spells. Weeks or months will go by with only an occasional item or two popping up that is worth posting about in the Industry News forum. Then the damn breaks, and suddenly there are a bunch of noteworthy things to post about from numerous news sites. It’s enough to drive a person to drink.🤣 We’re currently in one of the cycles with many items to possibly post. Stay tuned. 😉

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

I'm actually surprised this hasn't happened sooner.    It really is a no brainer for the majors, though not necessarily for the small producers, as costs to re-configure bottling ops may be a bigger percentage piece for them?    The majors having such a large international footprint, and many (European) markets preferring 700 ml it makes perfect sense.    Slowly(?) weening the American market off the 750's may be a tougher sell for frequent buyers initially; but, many casual buyers won't notice, especially if they reduce prices a little for the near term.    Of course what goes down will certainly rise again.    Having more bottles to fill to sell the same amount of spirit will raise bottling/packaging/shipping costs per proof gallon a bit; but, I imagine the saving from filling 'em with less product will at least offset those increases... maybe more than offset?      So I imagine this will inevitably bring us "special releases" at 750(!) ml (at premium prices of course) allowing an additional marketing scheme for the majors.

8 hours ago, PaulO said:

Good chance though, 750ml to 700ml bottle, and price not reduced. 🤬

This.  It's been going on for years in the food and bev industry in other grocery items.  

• I like it 5

1 hour ago, dcbt said:

This.  It's been going on for years in the food and bev industry in other grocery items.  

How many of us older guys think of the 2 quart ice cream container when most of them have been 1.5 quarts for many years.  Of course there was no price change.

• I like it 4

A further thought regarding the majors going to 700's for US market....

I assume they are well-prepared having done 700's for the world market for a long time.   

My question I guess, is whether or not they will abandon all 750's within some reasonable time period, or keep 'em for a good while... other than 'special release' 750's, I mean.   

Does anyone have a handle on how much re-tooling, if any, would be required to change a bottling line from 750 to 700?     

One other small issue, I imagine, would be keeping of extra (duplicate?) stock of bottles/cartons in two sizes.   I'm sure space as well as costs would be impacted at some point.

5 hours ago, Special Reserve said:

How many of us older guys think of the 2 quart ice cream container when most of them have been 1.5 quarts for many years.  Of course there was no price change.

I remember buying gourmet coffee by the pound back in the late 90's. I don't remember when the switch was made but it's been sold in 12oz bags for quite some time now to hide the price increases.

• I like it 4

7 hours ago, Special Reserve said:

Not Blue Bell ice cream.  Still a half gallon last time I checked.  A product of Texas I might add...

3 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

A further thought regarding the majors going to 700's for US market....

I assume they are well-prepared having done 700's for the world market for a long time.   

My question I guess, is whether or not they will abandon all 750's within some reasonable time period, or keep 'em for a good while... other than 'special release' 750's, I mean.   

I think they will do what JD did.  They will phase in the new bottles with new product line extensions.  Yet another reason (as if we needed another) we will probably see a new round of product line extensions and "new" releases.  Honestly, do we really need JD Bonded?  The few reviews I've seen are lukewarm at best.  Many say "just buy the regular JD Single Barrel product and you'll be good".  JD SiB is 47% ABV and is from select barrels.  Sounds good to me. 

Now, for the core "value" sku's,  I have no idea.  It will be interesting to see how the big boys pull off the switch from 750 to 700 for their standard offerings like JD7, JB White, and MM.  To say nothing of big selling products like vodka and tequila....

Edited by Kepler

On the bright side, maybe those blasted OFBB bottles will finally stop taking up so much shelf space!  :lol:

• I like it 5

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

On the bright side, maybe those blasted OFBB bottles will finally stop taking up so much shelf space!  :lol:

🤣🤣🤣

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.