Taste Test: Jim Beam’s New Hardin’s Creek Line of Whiskeys Is a Study in Contrasts

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

17 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

The news in the spirits industry just keeps on coming. Here’s one from Beam/Suntory. 🤔 Anyone remember Jacob’s Ghost? 🤢

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/cocktails/taste-test-jim-beams-new-hardins-creek-line-of-whiskeys-is-a-study-in-contrasts/ar-AAXQYpU?li=BBnb7Kz

Yeah.  I remember Jacob's Ghost.  The emoji fits.  Thank goodness it went the way of B-F's Frost 880.

Thanks for the link. 

Not sure I'd spend $80 on a 750 of two-year-old Col. James B. Beam even if it is a KSBW and came off the still @ 115 proof and is bottled at 108 proof.  The info I've found so far (not much) suggests it is likely JB's mashbill at the lower exit and bottle proofs than traditional JB expressions.  The other release, Jacob's Well which is offered at $150 a 750, will be a blend of JB's mash bill and the OGD mash bill, each portion aged at least 15 years and bottled at 108 proof.  THIS one I might buy in a moment of weakness.  I seem to have a lot of those.

ALL THAT SAID!!  Whatever happened to KC 9yr 100 proof 750s @ $22-28?  Cheapest I've seen it lately is $36.  AND, where did all the JB BIB and Distiller's Cut, admittedly a limited release, go?  I thought the BIB was going to be a permanent release, but it didn't last as long as the DistCut did.  In other words, maybe Beam/Suntory should stop looking for a short-term smash like peanut butter whiskey and stop emulating Diageo with faux limited releases.  Although I must admit, some of those were pretty good.

• I like it 1

Back in the day, 8 years old and bottled in bond was the top shelf version of many brands.

How about bring it back for Old Grandad, maybe Old Overholt.

Premium price for 2 year old Beam is just silly.

The other one, vat of aged Beam and Grandad, seems a tough sell @ $150 (too many other options).

Put these in the case with the Woodford Master's Collection. 🤪

• I like it 5

9 minutes ago, PaulO said:

I can’t argue your logic @PaulO.  ^_^

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

It seems like the last couple of years the number of labels on the shelves has at least tripled and most are above $50.  The profits must be amazing.

1 hour ago, TunnelTiger said:

It seems like the last couple of years the number of labels on the shelves has at least tripled and most are above $50.  The profits must be amazing.

Yep! They can only raise prices on the legacy brands so much before it generates backlash from their longtime customers so they create new labels with fancy packaging (which they know most consumers equate to higher quality) and charge premium prices. $80 for a 2yr old whiskey is particularly bold and raises this to an entirely new level. As much as I like Beam I hope this one fails.

• I like it 4

• 2 weeks later...

JBBIB was one of my favorite pours. I was very sad when they dropped it.  I never have and never will buy any bottle of flavored bourbon.

On 5/29/2022 at 11:36 PM, PaulO said:

Back in the day, 8 years old and bottled in bond was the top shelf version of many brands.

How about bring it back for Old Grandad, maybe Old Overholt.

Premium price for 2 year old Beam is just silly.

The other one, vat of aged Beam and Grandad, seems a tough sell @ $150 (too many other options).

OGD bonded with an 8 year age statement would likely be amazing. I don’t understand why Beam doesn’t do more with this mash bill. OGD probably doesn’t have too much age on it and Basil Hayden is always bottled at 80 proof. Whether under one of these or a new brand, I’d really like to see this mash at a decent age, say 8+, and a decent proof. They have overhauled Old Overholt, time to do the same for Old Grand-Dad. 

• I like it 3

• 1 month later...

Not buying 2yo beam for $15 much less $80. and certainly not without trying it first. 

The other I might at least think about.

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Not buying 2yo beam for $15 much less $80. and certainly not without trying it first. 

The other I might at least think about.

ditto

1 hour ago, flahute said:

ditto

My thoughts exactly. Not sure what the marketing approach is here especially when they have so much older stock.

1 hour ago, PhantomLamb said:

My thoughts exactly. Not sure what the marketing approach is here especially when they have so much older stock.

This is clearly intended to hit "THE Target Market" ......Taters.

22 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

This is clearly intended to hit "THE Target Market" ......Taters.

My thoughts exactly.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.