BOTM 06/22 Old Forester 1897 BIB

flahute
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Sorry to be late for this month's selection! I was out of town at the beginning of the month visiting family in lovely Santa Fe.

For this month we are going back to Old Forester but with a variation of their's we haven't done yet. You all know how much I love Old Fo 100 - one of my most consumed bourbons. Many of you also know how much I love the 1920 variation. It has been a very long time since I've had anything from the Whiskey Row series apart from 1920. In fact, I haven't had any of them since they first came out. My impression way back then was that while they were good, they did not represent enough value to me at the price point given what I could get with 100 and 1920. Well, some chatter about a month or so ago from a couple of you mentioned how much you like the 1897 so I decided to revisit.

Well?.........shoot. Not sure if I have I have a slightly off batch but while this one starts out with a lot of hope it finishes really dry and tannic. I don't remember it being like this. Every time I've tried it I've followed with the 100 and liked it much better. Now, I don't doubt any of you who really like this one. I think that my palate is just not aligning with it and that's OK.

So, those of you who really like this one - speak up and let us know what you like about it! My palate cannot be trusted with this one.

• I like it 3

Trust your palate.

I bought a bottle, on sale, a while back. The neck pour was abysmal,  and subsequent pours were just okay. I'll revisit it, but my expectations are low.

That's a shame, because I love the OF100, the rye and the 1920.  

It's not worth the $$$, to me anyway,  when there are much better whiskeys,  at that price point.

I'll repost,  after revisiting it.

• I like it 3

Talk about timing. 😉 I received an email from OF yesterday. It was kind of a Father’s Day reminder to folks to don’t forget to get you dads something nice for Fathers Day. One of the items pictured was their Whiskey Tasting Set. Coincidentally, I purchased one of those sets last year just before Xmas. One of the bottles in the set was a 375 of 1897 BIB. I kinda liked it.

Back in the day, I went through a bunch of OF BIB. When BF started changing the name, bottle, and label, I was a little disappointed. It’s gotten a little better, but because of a couple of folks here, I’ve became enamored with the OF 86 proof as of late. Anyway, when I tasted the 1897, I had to pause a moment. I had one of those moments like, “Don’t I know you from somewhere?” 🤔 To me it really has the characteristics of the BIB from back in the day. The difference to me is that these characteristics are a bit muted. It’s earthy, viscous, a little of the old butterscotch/caramel/vanilla thang going on, with a warm, spicy, lightly woody finish. Like I said, the only problem I have is there’s just not quite enough there. I also have to mostly agree with what @flahute said about the finish. It is a bit dry and tannic. All in all, I still liked it. Maybe along with being a Weller Whore, I’m an OFOF. (Old Forester Old Fogie)  🙃 I’m pretty sure I was spoiled by the glut era OF BIB’s I had from back in the day. My guess is that most, if not all of the bottles I consumed contained bourbon that was much older than four years. Maybe if the 1897 was aged a couple more years……. 😋

One last thing. I also agree with @flahute and @Skinsfan1311 about the price point. It’s just north of $50.00 in my area. If it was $40.00, there’s a slight chance I might bite. Heck, the set I bought before Xmas was only $44.00.

Biba! Joe 

image.png

• I like it 5

OF100 is one of my regular pours.  I don't need an overpriced BIB to replace it.  I have never tried OF 1897 but it takes more than a good story and being part of the Whiskey Row Series to convince me it is a good buy.  

• I like it 2

Dry and medicinal, didn’t like the first time I had it. Will have to try it again at some point.

• I like it 1

I don't currently have an open OF,  and I will have to remedy that.  A couple of weeks ago I killed a Statesman that was below par from what I had come to expect from this regular pour.   Earlier this year I had an 1897 that was simply excellent, just bursting with classic OF goodness,  and once gone was quickly replaced.   It's in the bunker,  but will be struttin' it's stuff tonight in honor of the BOTM.  

• I like it 2

I'm sipping my newly opened OF 1897 together with a WTKS for the sake of comparison.    The most striking thing is how similar these two are.    I.ve always considered WT and OF "of a piece" in emphasizing dry qualities of vanilla and leather (same goes for Barton),  but side by side I'm  stunned how I can hardly tell the difference.    Bottom line - they're both terrific,  and the 1897 exhibits none of the staleness and lack of balance that I found in the recent Stateman I finished.    It's one helluva pour.   

Edited by Jazzhead
  • I like it 2

• 2 weeks later...

Palates are weird.  I've always liked the 1897 but could not drink OF Signature (tried three bottles over three years and gave each one away after one swig).  The OF basic line also never appealed to me (at least until recently).  Hence, I was surprised when I liked the 1897 (currently just below $50 here if I shop carefully).  But like a few others who have posted, the OF 100 at its lower price is a much better buy and, to me, also lacks the OF Sig characteristics I thought all OF had.  Because of 1897, I tried the OF 100 and liked it so started trying other OFs.  I am still surprised and pleased that I did - I don't drink them daily, but they are a nice change from WT and OGD.

• I like it 5

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.