What craft bourbon are you drinking today?

Jazzhead
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Figure it makes sense to put up a thread for takes on what craft stuff we're sipping.

This is 6-year wheated bourbon from a distillery, Flat Rock Spirits of Fairborn, Ohio,  that appears to be defunct. (Hotel Tango is the bottler).  But it has left a good-looking corpse - this is solid stuff, fully mature, an ephemeral wheater of quality that,  it appears, is gone with the wind.

20220625_194137.jpg

Edited by Jazzhead
  • I like it 3

Virginia has several micros who produce things I dabble in.  Catoctin Creek (https://catoctincreekdistilling.com/) has been around for a few years, has a nice website and a nice range of products, and does ship to some places.  It makes, for example, a bonded brandy from Virginia apples and Roundstone Rye in several expressions - really high rye rivaling MGP's 95%.  These are my faves from them.  Copper Fox Distillery in Sperryville (https://www.copperfoxdistillery.com/home-of-american-single-malt) has been making single malt whiskys for YEARS (like, since 2005).  Known more for their malt whiskys, I can say that I like their special release whiskys with finishes which are expensive but equal to or better than stuff I've had from Scotland.  Rich Wasmund the founder is (IN)famous for cutting his own path through the spirits world or at least the Virginia part of that world.  My introduction, circa 2006(?) was his malt whisky "guaranteed less than 90 days old".  KO Distilling in Manassas (https://kodistilling.com/ ) is known locally for great American gins, but they've released some bourbons in the $40 range that can stand with anybody's 4YR 80 proof.  Anothery, 8 Shires Coloniale Distillery in Williamsburg (http://www.8shires.com/) is worth a visit if only to take a tour of a TRUE bathtub-size still.  A 375 ml of the whiskey is fun but not really special.  BUT!! Both their silver rum and their gin are worth the price.  Load up, especially, on the 1780s' style rum.  Last one - GEETEN brought Virginia Distillery Company in Lovingston (look it up hahahaha) (https://vadistillery.com/) to my attention.  Their finished American malt whiskys, particularly the port finished, are spectacular.

I could go on, but . . .

MOST of these will ship product out of state IF you can show that your state allows such delivery.  DISCLOSURE! I am not now, nor have I ever been, employed by or otherwise associated with, any Virginia entity, public or private, or national entity for that matter, having squat to do with spirits OTHER THAN being an imbiber and sometime retail customer.

I added that because the post really looks like some ad promo text from the Virginia ABC website.  It is not.

• I like it 2

A bit of Chattanooga experimental single barrel 175. I think these are Distillery only and i did stop in on a work trip. After sampling in the tasting lobby I was impressed enough to take one home. The positive impressions from that distillery tasting have only been enhanced as i have enjoyed every pour so far.

• I like it 1

Well it was another work trip and another stop by Chattanooga Whiskey Distillery. The latest BIB is VERY tasty and being enjoyed as tonights pour. CW is rapidly becoming a favorite of mine!!

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, kcgumbohead said:

Well it was another work trip and another stop by Chattanooga Whiskey Distillery. The latest BIB is VERY tasty and being enjoyed as tonights pour. CW is rapidly becoming a favorite of mine!!

I also picked up a Chattanooga BiB.  Haven't opened it yet but I enjoyed their store pick single barrel and the 111 enough to want to try the BiB.  Look forward to opening it soon, when my 111 bottle level gets lower.

So far I've avoided the craft bourbon bug, I might be permanently immune, or at least I hope so!

• I like it 3

9 hours ago, Special Reserve said:

So far I've avoided the craft bourbon bug, I might be permanently immune, or at least I hope so!

Things are getting better but caution is still recommended. Stay strong!

• I like it 1

16 hours ago, Special Reserve said:

Yeah, my first snarky response to the thread when it posted was just "I'm not."  But to Steve's point, I've had some recently that impress.  Not yet $/quality standout but still impressed.  So I'm in the TBD group. 

2 hours ago, BigRich said:

Yeah, my first snarky response to the thread when it posted was just "I'm not."  But to Steve's point, I've had some recently that impress.  Not yet $/quality standout but still impressed.  So I'm in the TBD group. 

The older you and I get, the more often we agree!  🤣🤣.  I recently picked up a Chattanooga Whiskey Co. “Cask”.  Pretty decent, though young (2 years).  While young, it tasted like a bourbon.  It’s pretty simple for me when evaluating craft offerings.  It has to at least have the nosing and tasting characteristics of a bourbon.  Too many are nearly unidentifiable as to whether they are even bourbons.  After meeting my early standards, aged versions of 4 years or more have to at least be very close to or meet Evan Williams black label level of quality.  If not, I’m done with it.  Only New Riff meets my 4 year standard.  The Chattanooga meets my standards of the young whiskey.  I hope it progresses over the next 2 years to meet the EW quality standard.  

• I like it 3

5 hours ago, BigRich said:

I'll say it then, I'm not and I'm not sorry. 🤣

5 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

I'll say it then, I'm not and I'm not sorry. 🤣

for all of the craft TBD folks - try a Peerless Double Oaked.   I think it may change your mind.

• I like it 2

22 hours ago, geclbxf said:

for all of the craft TBD folks - try a Peerless Double Oaked.   I think it may change your mind.

I have and it still hasn’t, not for that price. Good recommendation tho!

22 hours ago, geclbxf said:

Won’t do it at its price.  Even though their pricing is for my own good…🤣🤣

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Yeah, I've had some great Peerless but I'm not willing to pay the price.

I enjoy Woodinville.  It is in my regular rotation.  While a little pricey compared to what I can get from the majors, I enjoy the 90 proof enough to support them.   The regular price is $40 but I can find it on sale between $28 and $37.  I just bought one for $28.  I also enjoyed the one Cask Strength store pick I had.  However, at $79.99 regular price (I got on sale for $64), it was a little too pricey for a 5 year old bourbon.  It will be interesting to see how this tastes in the 7 to 9 year range.  I passed on the rye this week at $28.  I already had a few bottles of rye in the cart.  Maybe next time.

I also enjoy New Riff of which I have had several bottles.  It tends to be in the 4 to 5 year old range and also solid.  I actually see more single barrel store picks than the standard bottles. I was going to buy a bottle this week during a sale but the store was out.

Several years back, I purchased a bottle of Tom Foolery Bourbon.  It was only two years old but I really liked it.  I don't believe they sell it in Indiana.  At least, I haven't seen any.

Peerless Rye is solid but overpriced.  Lots of folks like Starlight Bourbon but I absolutely hated the bottles I tried.  The same thing with Traverse.  Traverse is one of the few bourbons I poured out during the sampling at the distillery shop.

Indiana has several distilleries with good reputations but I have yet to try their products.  Hotel Tango, French Lick, Old 55.  

• I like it 1

I have all three Joseph Magnus (Regular, Murray Hill, and Cigar Blend).

Regular was a Gateway Bourbon for me. I really enjoy it. It led me down the "I gotta try more bourbons" path. A little spendy at $100 per bottle. Arguably better bottles for the same price. Still, a good bottle and a sentimental one for me.

Cigar Blend: My favorite bourbon of all. Hard to find at MSRP of $188 or anything close to it. Saved for special occasions. I'm always looking for more (from trusted sources, which excludes people I have not met face-to-face).

Murray Hill. Only $15 more than the regular version, well worth the price difference. Sweet, smooth, complex. Just enough barrel to notice, not enough to be bitter. Very nice finish. Tried it for the first time last night with friends. It blew us all away. Widely available. For those who have the budget, well worth the $$$ in my view. Will become a regular sipper for me and shall probably completely replace the regular Magnus version on my shelf.
  • I like it 1

5 hours ago, Anwalt said:
I have all three Joseph Magnus (Regular, Murray Hill, and Cigar Blend).

Regular was a Gateway Bourbon for me. I really enjoy it. It led me down the "I gotta try more bourbons" path. A little spendy at $100 per bottle. Arguably better bottles for the same price. Still, a good bottle and a sentimental one for me.

Cigar Blend: My favorite bourbon of all. Hard to find at MSRP of $188 or anything close to it. Saved for special occasions. I'm always looking for more (from trusted sources, which excludes people I have not met face-to-face).

Murray Hill. Only $15 more than the regular version, well worth the price difference. Sweet, smooth, complex. Just enough barrel to notice, not enough to be bitter. Very nice finish. Tried it for the first time last night with friends. It blew us all away. Widely available. For those who have the budget, well worth the $$$ in my view. Will become a regular sipper for me and shall probably completely replace the regular Magnus version on my shelf.

The JM blender, Nancy is a member here. I highly recommend pinging her with the batch number of that Cigar Blend if you want to nerd out. She’s really cool. @WhiskeyBlender

Edited by mal00768
  • I like it 4

On 7/1/2022 at 8:55 AM, smokinjoe said:

The older you and I get, the more often we agree!  🤣🤣.  I recently picked up a Chattanooga Whiskey Co. “Cask”.  Pretty decent, though young (2 years).  While young, it tasted like a bourbon.  It’s pretty simple for me when evaluating craft offerings.  It has to at least have the nosing and tasting characteristics of a bourbon.  Too many are nearly unidentifiable as to whether they are even bourbons.  After meeting my early standards, aged versions of 4 years or more have to at least be very close to or meet Evan Williams black label level of quality.  If not, I’m done with it.  Only New Riff meets my 4 year standard.  The Chattanooga meets my standards of the young whiskey.  I hope it progresses over the next 2 years to meet the EW quality standard.  

I recently picked up a Chattanooga BiB (4 yo obviously) and when I get home I expect to open it fairly soon.  I'll report my findings in comparison to the Chattanooga 111 and their single barrel store picks I have (which are even better than the 111).

• I like it 1

On 7/2/2022 at 9:02 PM, mbroo5880i said:

I enjoy Woodinville.  It is in my regular rotation.  While a little pricey compared to what I can get from the majors, I enjoy the 90 proof enough to support them.   The regular price is $40 but I can find it on sale between $28 and $37.  I just bought one for $28.  I also enjoyed the one Cask Strength store pick I had.  However, at $79.99 regular price (I got on sale for $64), it was a little too pricey for a 5 year old bourbon.  It will be interesting to see how this tastes in the 7 to 9 year range.  I passed on the rye this week at $28.  I already had a few bottles of rye in the cart.  Maybe next time.

I also enjoy New Riff of which I have had several bottles.  It tends to be in the 4 to 5 year old range and also solid.  I actually see more single barrel store picks than the standard bottles. I was going to buy a bottle this week during a sale but the store was out.

Several years back, I purchased a bottle of Tom Foolery Bourbon.  It was only two years old but I really liked it.  I don't believe they sell it in Indiana.  At least, I haven't seen any.

Peerless Rye is solid but overpriced.  Lots of folks like Starlight Bourbon but I absolutely hated the bottles I tried.  The same thing with Traverse.  Traverse is one of the few bourbons I poured out during the sampling at the distillery shop.

Indiana has several distilleries with good reputations but I have yet to try their products.  Hotel Tango, French Lick, Old 55.  

I have also had really good experiences with French Lick and Old 55.    The Old 55 sweet corn is amazing.   Dessert in a bottle.

• I like it 1

On 7/2/2022 at 6:38 PM, smokinjoe said:

Same

On 7/3/2022 at 12:09 PM, mal00768 said:

The JM blender, Nancy is a member here. I highly recommend pinging her with the batch number of that Cigar Blend if you want to nerd out. She’s really cool. @WhiskeyBlender

@mal00768 and @Anwalt, sorry I'm just seeing this. This is the height of "blending season" and I've been crazy busy working on Q3 and Q4 Bourbon releases for the main 4 distilleries I blend for. At any rate, @Anwalt, obviously I'm more than a little biased here, but of the Jos. Magnus portfolio, my Cigar Blend is my personal fav, followed by Murray Hill Club, with the regular JMB Triple Cask coming in 3rd. Some years ago I made a special version of MHC finished in Pineau des Charentes casks, and later a cider & single malt cask using barrels from Virginia Distillery Company, who I used to work with. Unfortunately the powers-that-be at Magnus put an end to that program. Too bad, as I had all kinds of cool ideas for it. At any rate, I'm thrilled that you've been enjoying some of my creations. What batch(s) of Cigar Blend do you have? I can give you some insight and background into my production processes and how that develops the flavors, if you like?

Cheers! 🥃

Nancy

• I like it 7

13 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

What batch(s) of Cigar Blend do you have? I can give you some insight and background into my production processes and how that develops the flavors, if you like?

Nancy, 

Thanks, as always, for what you do.  Making the JMCB tops the list.  The quality, quantity, and congeniality of your replies just make a great thing better.  You really manage to add texture & feel for those of us who both drink & read your content.

The bottle that made it to PR is Batch 72, Bottle 246.  I will know the #'s on the one that has not yet been muled from Ohio later today.

• I like it 2

Just came back from Wilderness Trail, bought their 8 yo high rye bourbon. I'll be tasting that tonight. Tried a little at the stand outside the shop and it was sweet...

• I like it 1

5 minutes ago, Oli77 said:

Just came back from Wilderness Trail, bought their 8 yo high rye bourbon. I'll be tasting that tonight. Tried a little at the stand outside the shop and it was sweet...

Look forward to hearing about it.  We'll be there August 10th.

Gonna have to re-up this one.  Balcones Texas Pot Still Bourbon is a different take, and I like it.   Probably superfluous if you have their epic True Blue corn whiskey, but if you don't, it's got the same roasted blue corn flavor,  dolled up as a bourbon.

20220710_175132.jpg

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.