Anwalt Bourbon Trail Trip in August

Anwalt

On 8/16/2022 at 8:40 AM, Anwalt said:

Friday

The local Liquor Barn had several bottles of Willet 9-year Rye Liquor Barn store pick for $355 each.  I didn’t know much about those.  But my bourbon buddy text group sure did!  I managed to get 3 for them, they were pretty happy.  They’ve been guiding me through the whole trip.  I’d never have found all that I did without their help.  And probably would have bought some dogs as well.  So, they are getting some of the good stuff.

I also missed an opportunity.  They had Old Charter French Oak for $80 per bottle.  I should have recognized it because several of you posted on it and I put it on my “Watch For” list.  But no, Dr Space Cadet missed at least 4 of them.  Still managed to snag 1 when I returned (after my bourbon buddy text group was shouting “Turn around!  Turn around!”), the others disappeared quickly.  I’ll count it as lucky that I got one and work on honing my search skills.

Went to Makers.  Nice tour, beautiful grounds, very zippy guide.  Very, very, very focused on consistency.  I really liked the cave/bunker in the side of the hill.  I want one.

The tasting was fun.  Compared regular MM to 101 to CS to 46.  My son and I both preferred 101, but this was a single tasting and hence a small sample size.

Picked up two 2021 FAE-2’s for $65 each.

Spent the rest of the day looking at some of my friend’s businesses. Mostly real estate related.  He’s a freaking genius in that realm.  My son (graduating with a construction management degree and a very nice job offer in hand) was most interested. And of course since it was someone other than Dad dispensing advice, the advice might actually have had some merit, lolz. 

I’ll post about Saturday & overall conclusions (and an XL of the 160 bottles we bought) later when time permits.

Willet 1.jpg

Willett 2.jpg

There was a lot of excitement over the purple tops

• I like it 1

On 8/16/2022 at 8:09 AM, Anwalt said:

Thursday

Four Roses

Short tour.  I was fine with that.  I “got” the whole process at OF & Beam.  The differences at each distillery are interesting.  4R was shut down for the summer due to lower water levels in the river from which they source.  That gives them time to refit, repair, etc.  Their focus on putting out a very, very consistent product was clear.  I’d like to visit the rick houses (elsewhere in KY).  They are evidently low-story for more of that consistency.

The post-tour tasting was excellent.  I really liked the side-by-side comparisons.  Listening to others’ comments was useful, whether from noob or the hard-core winos.  The recipe explanation will take a little time and many tastings to process.

We scheduled for Thursday because word was that their BP releases were on Wednesday or Thursday.  Word was right.  We each got a bottle for $85.  

Carrying cash is useful.  We noticed one couple only bought one of the BP’s.  We asked if they’d get us one.  They said “sure!” and we handed them the cash and netted an extra bottle.  Two of the three are for friends who really, really like the stuff.  The regular 4R products are way cheaper at Costco than at the distillery.

We stopped by Wild Turkey.  The gift shop had less selection and higher prices than Liquor Barn.  In & out pretty quick there.  We did get some WTRB for $46 each at a Kroger.  One of them cooked off and blew a cork in the heat.  Thankfully it was standing and so the car smelled nice and we lost very little from the bottle.  Those are really good & growing on me.

A PS on RR13:  The tater lines in Ohio are insane.  12 hours ahead, placing lawn chairs to "hold a spot", people getting out of a car and cutting in front of a friend, the whole nine yards.  Some of the stores are responding by putting out the good stuff once the line leaves.  Good!  Some of the distilleries put out the good bottles at random with strict control over "no spilling the beans".  Good, OH stores would do well to emulate them.  There has been no small amount of "back door bottles" saved by OH store people for "friends".  That should be stopped.  But such is human nature.  I do not stand in lines, very bad use of my time.  When in Ohio I just show up at opening time or a little later and get what I get.

The rest of the day was spent with a friend of my friend.  His friend happens to be a master distiller, more of which later if he lets me share details.  Suffice it to say that is was extremely educational and fun.

4R 1.jpg

4R 2.jpg

Had a sample of the 4RSBBS and it is legit.  I need a bottle of that

• I like it 1

• 7 months later...
On 8/22/2022 at 10:29 AM, Anwalt said:

4 bottles, one suitcase at a time.  Kids, friends, clients, seminar attendees, they all know & tend to bring a few.  I view those logistics (we have bourbon cached with friends in around 8 different cities) as part of the fun of the hobby, part of the "hunt" or the "gamesmanship".  Ditto sharing good finds, swapping, learning, and popping corks when friends visit.  Just part of the fun.

Come December The Boy shall start an excellent job, with no debt, and a nice whiskey collection.  Half the bottles from this trip were for him, so only 70 or so to move.  And the cheaper ones that we bought in bulk (e.g., Old Bardstown BiB) are low on the priority list. 

Moving all of the bourbon to PR may become less necessary.  We've been looking for a "family retreat" (in multiple senses of the word) for a bit.  The new & present plan is to buy land in KY, probably between Danville & Bardstown in 2023.  The friend previously mentioned is a genius at finding real estate deals and putting the property to creative & proper use.  Most markets lack Airbnb's that can host 20+ people; I've seen clients do really, really well with those, consistently so.  So the plan, in vague form, to develop as events unfold:  Buy land/farm.  Build.  Add trap shooting area, multiple little cabins, a central cooking, meeting, dance hall/wedding/drinking area, bike trails, game room, etc.  Use for 2 -3 months of the year.  Airbnb for the remainder.  Having a friend close by with connections (builders, chefs, transport companies, cleaners, Airbnb managers, you name it) is very, very helpful. Land is comparatively cheap in those areas and I get along with Kentuckians, so happy to have a retreat there.  

The Wifey thinks it's just a plot to be in bourbon country more.  That really is just a side benefit.  Bottom line, some of the bottles may end up there as well.  I've got plenty in PR as it is.

Just WOW. The whole trip sounds fantastic. Good for you and your son. 

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Grady330 said:

Just WOW. The whole trip sounds fantastic. Good for you and your son. 

Thanks!

I never did finish the last few days posting-wise. It was magical.

Looking forward to some fun back on the trail at the SB Social at the end of the month.  I know so much more now than I did then.  I feel like a yellow-belt!

• I like it 3