What will your “go to” be when and if the boom ever ends.

FasterHorses
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I’d have to say Id be very content with  W12 and EHT BP for me. One low proof and one high. 

Hhhhm.  OGD BIB.  Ever heard of it?  THEN - WT 101 KSBW.  THEN - ER 10yr 90 proof unless they take away the years.  For the rye - OF 100 rye or Ritt or even OO BIB.  For non-100/BIB, EWB (86 proof) or 4R YL 80.  Premium - 4R Single Barrel Select.

• I like it 2

EHT SmB, or SiB/BP if I ever can find one of either and they end up being better.

• I like it 1

It will depend on price and availability.  If what I expect to be solid reasonably available options with increasingly aged barrels then it would be WT101, OF100, FRSiB, MM101.

I would definitely like to have Stagg Sr in the regular rotation. Otherwise having access to 10 year plus barrel picks of RR and 4R would be just dandy.

• I like it 2

27 minutes ago, mal00768 said:

I would definitely like to have Stagg Sr in the regular rotation. Otherwise having access to 10 year plus barrel picks of RR and 4R would be just dandy.

Yeah if the BTAC line is part of the correction.. then GTS would  always be open

If the boom ever ends, then inexpensive aged bourbon makes a return.  Therefore mine will either be WT101 or maybe even Buffalo Trace or EHT Small Batch, whichever is closest to the Old Charter 10 Year.  I'd never get tired of that one. 

• I like it 3

I think I will just stick to my regular Elijah Craig Small Batch. Great stand pour every time.

• I like it 2

Great question! EHT SiB, Stagg Jr, 4R SmB Select, Weller 12yr, EC BP would always be part of the picture.

• I like it 2

MGP's high rye mashbill.   Things have turned the corner so that longer-aged versions of this superb mashbill are becoming easier to find.   I love the Tumbling Dice 6-year.

Lately though,  my "go to" pours have been Kentucky-style ryes.   My open bottle of baby Saz is going fast.

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

THEN - ER 10yr 90 proof unless they take away the years. 

The good news is that the 10yr age statement has been moved to the front label.  A good sign that they're not going down the Elijah Craig SB path... 

• I like it 2

I'd definitely buy and drink more Weller 12. But I'm not sure BT would up how much of this they release even if the boom ended and the supply is so far below demand, it would take a real crash to bring it back close to MSRP on the open market. I'd buy more Four Roses barrel strength picks, not that I'm running out.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Clueby said:

OWA...again.

Same here, I checked the state minimum price here in Michigan, it's now $49.96.  I'm sure that I paid under $25 for the last bottle I bought now  number of years ago.

• I like it 2

If/when the boom ends, my go to will be George T. Stagg and E.H. Taylor BP with a pour of Elijah Craig 18 tossed in every now and then.

• I like it 1

Earlier I stated that OWA would be my go to, but following some thoughts, if the prices were like they were in the aughts, WLW and GTS at $50/bottle would ring the bell. But we all know those days getting those bourbons as those prices are long gone never to return. Even at twice the price, I'd be a buyer.

End of daydream!

• I like it 2

I’ll probably keep on doing what I’m doing now. Enjoy mid-shelters, and hope to fill in here in there with something special. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 7

I guess it depends on what "the end of the boom" means (apologies to Bill Clinton).  Normally, the end of a boom would mean a steep decline in demand, which would lower prices and drive less efficient producers out of business.

I suppose it would be similar to how supply and demand were 20 years ago--many of the currently expensive and allocated whiskeys that were once reasonably priced and readily available would go back to that condition, with some from 20 years ago disappearing and some newer whiskeys taking their place. 

If I could get them all the time at reasonable prices, I would drink a lot more Stagg, Remus Repeal, Joseph Magnus, and Calumet 15-16 probably.  I'm sure I could think of some more.

I can get a bottle of OWA about every week here if I wanted.  My go to would still be WTRB.

But I would finally get a chance to try some stagg maybe.

The real question is how many of us will disappear when the boom ends?

Statistically, there’s a lot of “boomers” here (pun intended). 😁

Whiskey life will probably go back to what it was 10-15 years ago for me.  Drink whatever I happen to be in the mood for, but more importantly, an end to the stockpiling of bottles.

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 4

22 minutes ago, 0895 said:

The real question is how many of us will disappear when the boom ends?

Statistically, there’s a lot of “boomers” here (pun intended). 😁

Thanks a lot @0895. I’m finally getting used to retirement, and I’ve been contemplating the who, what, when, where, how, why, and if,  of just how my current situation relates to whatever level of Bourbon Zen I may be at. 🤔 And here you have to go and bring up mortality.  🫣

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.