Bourbon / Whiskey Survey for fun

Dannabis
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Don't think too hard on these.

There's no wrong answers.

For all of the following, look to your bar and open whiskeys and maybe the bunker if you desire.

1. Assuming you were sipping tonight, What bourbon would you pour first?

2. Which whiskey suprised you, and why?

3. If you could have a bourbon with your last meal on Earth, which would you pour?

4. Which bourbon are you pouring for a novice or non-initiate who wants to try it?

5. Which are you pouring for your close friends or family? (Assuming you like them)

6. Which bourbon do you regret?

7. What non bourbon are you pouring first if your bourbons are off the table?

8. What's your go to value pour?

9. Which one is overpriced but you love it anyway?

10. If you have to choose one method of serving your whiskey from here to forever, which is it? (Neat, rocks, drops of water, from the freezer, etc)

11. Which one are you using if someone wants a cocktail or a whiskey soda? (Whiskey pop for some I guess)

12. Which would you drain pour if forced to dump one bottle?

13. What's the strangest whiskey you have and why is it strange?

Cheers and nzadrowie!

• I like it 3

1.  I would have to say KC 12

2.  Blantons   it's good but not what I thought.

3. I haven't open my woodford masters bottle yet.  Right now I would say KC12

4. Russells  10 yr with a drop or 2 of water

5. Russells 10 yr or KC 9 or WSR

6. Not sure I try to find something I like in most that I have bought

7. Tangueray  Gin

8. EWbnb

9. ?

10. One large cube

11. KC rye

12. Town Branch single barrel

13. Jim Beam Fire  it is GREAT during Ice Fishing season

• I like it 1

L

10 hours ago, Dannabis said:

Don't think too hard on these.

There's no wrong answers.

For all of the following, look to your bar and open whiskeys and maybe the bunker if you desire.

Depends on what I am in the mood for and what I have available.  Standard KC9. But, I will have a pour of GTS or WLW if I so inclined. 

Standard Four Roses SiB. I still remember the smile it brought to my face.

3. If you could have a bourbon with your last meal on Earth, which would you pour?

GTS. Only because it is the Granddaddy of bourbons. The meal and company would be more important. 

4. Which bourbon are you pouring for a novice or non-initiate who wants to try it?

Depends on what they want to try. Interestingly, most novices are more interested trying ryes than bourbons. 

5. Which are you pouring for your close friends or family? (Assuming you like them).

Again, their choice. If they don't opt for a rye they normally pick Blanton's. I suspect based on the elegance of bottle. 

None, bourbon as a hobby is a journey.  There have been several that I didn't like but how would I have known without trying them.

Probably beer or wine depending on their preference.  I have friends who opt for beer or wine over whiskey. 

OF100

Loaded question since value is subjective.i love New Riff which is pricey for 4 year old bourbon. 

10. If you have to choose one method of serving your whiskey from here to forever, which is it? (Neat, rocks, drops of water, from the freezer, etc)

Neat

11. Which one are you using if someone wants a cocktail or a whiskey soda? (Whiskey pop for some I guess)

Whatever they want. If it is GTS, I will tell them they might enjoy JB more with soda or Sprite. I want the to enjoy the drink more than being worried about what bourbon they are mixing with it. If they want to mix with soda, that tells me they want to hide the whiskey.  If in a cocktail,  I usually steer toward a whiskey around 100 proof.

Dickel 12

Anything port finished.  With a few notable exceptions,  port finishing detracts from the qualities I most enjoy.

Cheers and nzadrowie!

Probably ET BiB 

T.W. Samuels BiB.  Shockingly good for $20-ish /1.75.  IMO, better than the other HH BiB value products (Dant/Brown, etc).

2014 GTS

BT / ER / WSR 

5. Which are you pouring for your close friends or family? (Assuming you like them)

Their choice of whatever is open

The one bottle of Booker’s in my bunker.

Total waste of money.  I hate Booker’s.

Rye of course 🤠

4RYL

9. Which one is overpriced but you love it anyway?

-Most Old Forester BP store picks

-KY Owl Rye

Neat

Currently:

4RYL , Bowman Bros. SmB, or Willett 4y Rye 

Dickel sourced Blue note I got as a gift.

Screwball. Probably no need for elaboration here.

• I like it 1

1. JD SiB Barrel Proof.

2. Eagle Rare.  Everyone raves about it and I find it very blah.

3. Elijah Craig Barrel Proof C955 (Ok, I'm kidding. Remus Repeal V.)

4. Remus Repeal V.

5. Knob Creek 9 or 12.

6. Hirsch The Horizon.

7. Courvoisier aged in Knob Creek barrels.

8. My private blend Old WTF.  2/3 WT101 and 1/3 OF 100.

9. Calumet 15.

10. Neat.

11. WT101.

12. Benchmark 8.  Twice.

13. I think the only strange whiskey I have is a salted caramel whiskey from TN.

Fun topic, thanks for creating.

I like to start with something low in spice to warm up my palate.  ORVW10 would be my first pour.

2. Which whiskey surprised you, and why?
5 year private picks of SAOS. I thought I would not like them because I'm used to the older 10 year versions, but I was wrong.

Among the bourbons that I own, maybe a 2006 Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit that I have.  I'd want my last pour to be from my favorite distillery, and this particular bottle is sublime.

For a first-time "neat" drinker 1792 Sweet Wheat because it's incredibly soft and approachable.  For someone who's already accustomed to whiskey sipped neat, Four Roses 50th Anniversary Al Young to explore their interest in complex bourbons.

Whatever the hell they want to drink on my bar.

Bird Dog 10 Year

THH rye

Value being below 19.99 ... the new 90 proof Evan Williams 1783 (it used to be EWBiB but I like the new 1783 better)

the Barrell small batch series

Neat

Bourbon:  Old Forester 100

Rye (for Old Fashioneds):  WT101 Rye

Not one sticks out -- see drain pour thread ?

Any barrel-finished bourbon.  Why are these allowed be called straight bourbon?  This needs to be fixed.

• I like it 1

Only had one pour tonight and it was Russell’s Reserve Single Barrel PS

Jack Daniel’s, Single Barrel, Barrel Proof - Really liked it and found it very different from other Barrel Proof bourbons I enjoy

Four Rose’s Single Barrel Store Pick OESQ

Buffalo Trace

5. Which are you pouring for your close friends or family? (Assuming you like them)

What ever they want from my bar or bunker except for a bottle of PVW 15 I won in a lottery and have been saving for retirement celebration 

Old Crow - When I was young, dumb and socializing with broke musicians 

Rye, Scotch or Tequila 

WT 101

Booker’s 

Neat

WT 101

St. Augustine Distillery Port Finished

Knob Creek Maple - Friend brought it on vacation. It tasted liked they just pour some maple syrup in the bad batches of regular Knob Creek 

1 hour ago, mal00768 said:

14. The bottle, wrapped in a paper bag.

That needs to be a brown paper bag.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, mal00768 said:

14. The bottle, wrapped in a paper bag.

26 minutes ago, markandrex said:

That needs to be a brown paper bag.

LMAO! Guilty. 😏 Around 50 years ago. 😲

Biba! Joe

1.  Sipping tonight:   Blend of Russell's Reserve Rye (90 proof) and Rare Breed Rye (112.2 proof). to achieve an ideal proof without adding water.

2.   Surprising Whiskey:   Old Elk Wheat Whiskey.    As good as any Weller I've had.

3.   Last bourbon on earth:    My bunker dusty of seventies-era Wild Turkey Rye, distilled in Maryland.   

4.    Novice bourbon:    MGP's  maple syrup-bomb high-rye (36%) mashbill with decent age and more modest proof:    Belle Meade Sour Mash, which is fast disappearing from Pennsy State Store shelves.   

5.   Pour for a good friend:   The same MGP high-rye mashbill with greater age and barrel stength -  Smokewagon UCUF

6.   Bourbon I regret:   Big Level wheated bourbon from Smooth Ambler.   Tasted like bathtub caulk.   

7.  Non-bourbon first pour:   Balvenie 12-year first fill bourbon barrel 

8.   Go-to value pour:   1792 Small Batch

9.    Overpriced but still love:   Old Forester Statesman

10.  One best way to serve whiskey:  Neat, in a nice crystal rocks glass

11.    Whiskey for mixing:   A good Kentucky-style rye, maybe Rittenhouse Rye

12.    Drain pour:    From my current open bottles?    Probably the Frey Ranch, but instead it's going to be my next solera project.   

13.    Strangest whiskey:    Something called "Baller", a craft whiskey from St. George's that tried to ape Japanese highball-mixing whiskey but instead tasted like linoleum.   

RR select barrel

Sagamore Spirit (private barrel) one my blind of all my bottles

New Riff barrel pick I did.

1792 small batch

OWA

willet pot still

sagamore spirit single barrel

WT101

Whistle Pig 10 year

neat

old overholt 114 for an old fashion, rittenhouse BiB mixed with pop

jim beam white label

johnny walker black - its my only scotch and i really don't like scotch

Edited by hughewil

1. Assuming you were sipping tonight, What bourbon would you pour first? Probably some OWA.

2. Which whiskey suprised you, and why? EW23. Way better than expected.

3. If you could have a bourbon with your last meal on Earth, which would you pour? A really good OWA pick.

4. Which bourbon are you pouring for a novice or non-initiate who wants to try it? Eagle Rare.

5. Which are you pouring for your close friends or family? (Assuming you like them) They can pick from anything open on the shelf 

6. Which bourbon do you regret? Rebel Yell 10 Year SB.

7. What non bourbon are you pouring first if your bourbons are off the table?  Rye..probably a Smooth Ambler MGP.

8. What's your go to value pour? Early Times BIB, regular BT, VOB100.

9. Which one is overpriced but you love it anyway? OWA

10. If you have to choose one method of serving your whiskey from here to forever, which is it? (Neat, rocks, drops of water, from the freezer, etc) NEAT!

11. Which one are you using if someone wants a cocktail or a whiskey soda? (Whiskey pop for some I guess) MM101.

12. Which would you drain pour if forced to dump one bottle? Probably VOB100..but I'd rather just cook with it.

13. What's the strangest whiskey you have and why is it strange? An old HH gold label that's a whiskey "blend" although I've tried some whiskey that uses sheep dung (to dry the malt?). Floki I think? 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.