BOTM 09/22 Jack Daniels Single Barrel Barrel Proof

flahute
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

We are back with another installment after a summer break. The summer break was not intentional so apologies for being absent. I've had an incredibly busy summer with a lot of travel and that travel happened at the beginning of both July and August so I just plain forgot! 

Let's talk about JDSiBBP. We on this forum were early to how great this one is. This came out when whiskey nerds were still all about avoiding anything with the Jack Daniels nameplate. My local was offered a barrel in the early days. He was nervous about being able to sell it all so he asked the local bourbon facebook group if enough members would commit to a bottle so he'd only have to inventory half the barrel. He couldn't muster the support. Now nobody local can keep it in stock. Life comes at you fast.

This is such a great whiskey. So much intensity of flavor and no banana! Such a beautiful whiskey. I'm sipping from a recent purchase - the first one in about 2-3 years. It's still just as good. Jack Daniels is a player y'all.

• I like it 9

Great choice for the bourbon of the month return.  I bought this mini 375ml bottle and have been trying to slowly savor it.  Once saw a 750 but opted for ECBP and Larceny BP instead, but I definitely regret not grabbing it now that I've never found a bottle since.  I do actually still get the smallest hint of banana, but I don't mind that at all.

1233635373_Image(1).thumb.jpeg.1d2025d6960feb968fad2055bff5fad1.jpeg

• I like it 1

Great choice!

This is one of my all-time favorites, and one of the few that I hoard.

It's crazy good and still one of the best bangs for the buck that can be had these days.

I sincerely hope that it remains firmly under the radar.

• I like it 2

I'm no longer "hoarding" Bourbons I enjoy either.    Mainly because I have at least enough fine Bourbon to ;last my expected lifetime twice over... or more.

But, if I were, I'd scoop up many, JDSBBP's.   I have about 10 squirreled away and will pour one of 'em every few weex or so.   For my taste buddies, this is absolutely the best offering from Lynchburg presently... hell, maybe EVER.   Fine, intense flavors and wonderful aroma, smooth as silk (especially for a high-proofer), and a nice finish.    I too, still get a hint of that banana oil undertone; but, I don't mind it either.     

Ya' know what?  I may just go grab one more... just in case, eh? 😉😃

• I like it 5

Great choice for BOTM.  Over the past couple of years, JDSBBP has become a family favorite in the Smith household with a bottle always open in the liquor cabinet.   This discussion reminds me that I need to stock up on it before the hoarders get them all.  Seriously, I do worry that it will become (or is becoming) the next Stagg Jr. or WA107, bottles that I used to be able to get regularly if I put in a little effort but which is sadly no longer the case.  I have noticed that, over the last six months, JDSBBP is getting harder to find. 

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

I'm no longer "hoarding" Bourbons I enjoy either.    Mainly because I have at least enough fine Bourbon to ;last my expected lifetime twice over... or more.

But, if I were, I'd scoop up many, JDSBBP's.   I have about 10 squirreled away and will pour one of 'em every few weex or so.   For my taste buddies, this is absolutely the best offering from Lynchburg presently... hell, maybe EVER.   Fine, intense flavors and wonderful aroma, smooth as silk (especially for a high-proofer), and a nice finish.    I too, still get a hint of that banana oil undertone; but, I don't mind it either.     

Ya' know what?  I may just go grab one more... just in case, eh? 😉😃

Same.   

I have more JDSBBP, than any other bottle in the bunker.  They're all barrel picks, (done by a local where the tasters palates align perfectly with mine).   I think that it's 6  bottles, 2 of which are open, and is more than I'll drink in this lifetime.   

That being said, if the LS selects another barrel, and it's good, I'll probably get another bottle.   They're priced South of $70.00  and the best bargain in barrel-proofers out there.   It's a miracle that this stuff isn't flying off the shelves at that quality and price.   

Maybe it is flying off the shelves?   I've been trying to avoid buying whiskey lately, and the best way is to stay out  liquor stores😉

• I like it 3

On 9/5/2022 at 9:49 AM, fosmith said:

I have noticed that, over the last six months, JDSBBP is getting harder to find

I periodically check some FB bourbon groups.  95% dull posts of "here's my score", and 60% of those are BTAC.  With a few good articles or leads here & there.

The Locusts are starting to post pics of JDSBBP.  Sorry.

• I like it 1

This whiskey exceeded even my lofty expectations when it was released 7 years ago.  And, it has continued to be one of best whiskies I buy.  I reviewed my tasting notes from the thread back then, and I still am in agreement with then.  I had forgotten about the cherry note, but it is there when I look for it.  One of the truly beautiful things about it is the gorgeous color.  I  had it as mahogany back then, and it is certainly that.  When the light shines through, a deep reddish hue becomes apparent, almost as if it is finished in some sort of wine cask.  Outside of any limited edition release (GTS specifically), I believe I can confidently state that this is my favorite barrel proof bourbon available.  

• I like it 3

Great choice for bourbon of the month! Definitely one of the best things regularly coming out of Lynchburg. Unfortunately, this is no longer flying under the radar, but fortunately many bourbon hunters are still zombi-focused on the stuff made in Frankfort. 

• I like it 2

Three birds in my flock. 

L-19 rick, 18-0732 barrel no. Bottled on 1.29.18

The empty one I bought a while time ago and it was an incredible mouth of banana and cloves and lusciousness. 

R-9 rick, 19-01248 barrel no. Bottles on 2.20.19

I got the 375mL in DE and like it although it has a much different character than the first barrel. No banana on this one at all.

And in the box is Daveco store select barrel which I am stoked to try. Interested to see if it is any better than the other random two barrels.

I like that it is a main production type bourbon so it is generally available, even though it is not often carried by smaller liquor stores near me.

I don't live on Old No 7 or anything but Jack Tennessee Honey was one of my first stepping stones in to bourbon drinking. And the Jack SiB was likely my first serious bourbon bottle. I got one in a set with two tumblers and I drink out of those mostly to this day.

I will pour some a rant some more soon.

20220908_182539.jpg

• I like it 1

47 minutes ago, Dannabis said:

L-19 rick, 18-0732 barrel no. Bottled on 1.29.18

Is there a decent source to tell which ricks mean what, tend to be the sweet spot, tend to produce "x" result, etc?

I know some of you have been into this long enough that you just....know.  Especially for your favored brands.  

Any decent shortcuts out there?  Google has not been useful.  Admittedly, that might be an operator issue.

• I like it 1

On 9/8/2022 at 8:24 PM, Anwalt said:

Is there a decent source to tell which ricks mean what, tend to be the sweet spot, tend to produce "x" result, etc?

I know some of you have been into this long enough that you just....know.  Especially for your favored brands.  

Any decent shortcuts out there?  Google has not been useful.  Admittedly, that might be an operator issue.

Not that I know of.  JD is (mercifully) not tatered to this level.  Yet anyway.

• I like it 3

Great choice for Bottle of the Month.  Personally, I often get strong banana in this one, and fortunately I enjoy bananas.   I have several bottles in the bunker, and I love it.  But let's face it, this one is not overly complex.  It hits you over the head with its impressive boldness and elite-level richness, but I wouldn't go comparing it to the best of the best.  

The greatest thing about this one is the affordable price and the availability.  Yes it's starting to get hard to find, but I am optimistic.  Whatever someone wants to say about Jack Daniels, one thing they are NOT known to do is constrict supply (like our friends over at BT/Sazerac allegedly seem to do).  I don't think the JDSiBBP product is aged very long in the barrels and thankfully, JD pumps out this distillate like no other American whiskey distiller can.   I'm not too concerned.

• I like it 3

One of my nearby locals has carried it somewhat “regularly” since it’s initial release, though in small quantities (2-3 bottles) when he does put them out.  He had 7-8 out on Friday before Labor Day.  All gone by Sunday.  I smelled a rat.  Had another 4 out yesterday, but with a “Limit 1 per customer” sign.  Pretty much confirmed what I thought the week prior…Some jagoff had obviously cleared the shelf then.  This helps, but as jagoffs will do, he’ll probably instruct his non drinking wife, daughter, and mother to each go in to buy their “own”…😫

• I like it 3

On 9/8/2022 at 8:24 PM, Anwalt said:

I’m really not sure of the more specific nuances of things at JD.  I do remember some supposed basics from years ago though. The lower floors were used to age regular JD. The middle floors were for Gentleman Jack. The upper floor(s) were used for other offerings. (?) Back then, it was probably the export only Silver Select. Lord knows what else. Funny story, which has been told here before, at one time JD came out with a green label bottle. This was supposedly a way for JD to bottle distillate that didn’t quite fit the flavor profiles of their regular offerings. IIRC, it was priced at or below the regular price of JD. After a while, someone in NY I think started a rumor that the green label was a special, limited edition bottling. The rumor spread, and what had once lingered a bit on store shelves, quickly disappeared. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

2 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I’m really not sure of the more specific nuances of things at JD.  I do remember some supposed basics from years ago though. The lower floors were used to age regular JD. The middle floors were for Gentleman Jack. The upper floor(s) were used for other offerings. (?) Back then, it was probably the export only Silver Select.

Thanks!  I learned why the "Location!  Location! Location!" matters while in KY & some different theories from different distillers.  So I have a hazy sense of it.  But I've watched some people ask (on a OFSiBBP for example) for the rickhouse & location therein and then immediately comment "oh, that should be a really good one, sweet spot". etc.   I'm trying to assess how much it matters (I think it does), how consistent a given "spot" is (not sure about that), and how to track if consistent.

10 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Funny story, which has been told here before, at one time JD came out with a green label bottle. This was supposedly a way for JD to bottle distillate that didn’t quite fit the flavor profiles of their regular offerings. IIRC, it was priced at or below the regular price of JD. After a while, someone in NY I think started a rumor that the green label was a special, limited edition bottling. The rumor spread, and what had once lingered a bit on store shelves, quickly disappeared. 

Plus ça change....

• I like it 2

On 9/10/2022 at 12:55 PM, smokinjoe said:

One of my nearby locals has carried it somewhat “regularly” since it’s initial release, though in small quantities (2-3 bottles) when he does put them out.  He had 7-8 out on Friday before Labor Day.  All gone by Sunday.  I smelled a rat.  Had another 4 out yesterday, but with a “Limit 1 per customer” sign.  Pretty much confirmed what I thought the week prior…Some jagoff had obviously cleared the shelf then.  This helps, but as jagoffs will do, he’ll probably instruct his non drinking wife, daughter, and mother to each go in to buy their “own”…😫

Find out when the next lot goes out and we can set a trap for him Joe.  Doing a little parking lot camping like back at the cigar store. 

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.