Knob Creek 18

BogusOwnz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've started seeing reviews pop up of this one. Looks like MSRP is $160 which means I probably won't see it for much under $200 around here with how mark-ups usually go. Curious if anyone has seen or tried it yet? I'd bite at $160 but not sure I would go higher...

Capture.JPG

17 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

That will be an oak bomb. 

That's right up my alley, shame it isn't barrel proof.  I'd bite even tho they had those same expressions in SiB a few years back.  I'm a sucker for KC and over-oaked.

I just did a calculation in my head.  If KC9 is $32.99, then KC18 should be $65.98.  Just sayin.'

I know the realities of 18 year old barrel availability and the implications of inventory taxes.  My valuation is not reality based.  Ok, so we add $0.01 and make it $65.99.  Gotta make it so the common man can afford it.  

I really dislike those open boxes Beam uses on some of their higher end product.  Light damage is a real issue and making your LEs built to spill is stupid. 

3 minutes ago, Erk Russel Reserve said:

I really dislike those open boxes Beam uses on some of their higher end product.  Light damage is a real issue and making your LEs built to spill is stupid. 

Huh? 🤔

55 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

I just did a calculation in my head.  If KC9 is $32.99, then KC18 should be $65.98.  Just sayin.'

I know the realities of 18 year old barrel availability and the implications of inventory taxes.  My valuation is not reality based.  Ok, so we add $0.01 and make it $65.99.  Gotta make it so the common man can afford it.  

Not in todays market. I hate to say it, but my previous post I suppose is just adding to the problem.

2 minutes ago, PhantomLamb said:

Not in todays market. I hate to say it, but my previous post I suppose is just adding to the problem.

I know.  No, you previous post is reality.  The market bears a much higher price than I can afford or am willing to pay.  However, that is not to say that the market price is not fair given availability, quality, and demand.

4 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Huh? 🤔

Here is another one.  I am paranoid about light struck high end hooch (even low end).  Many whisky shops have bright lights everywhere, even leds directly above bottles.  The black box that MM 101 comes in is perfect, the Beam window box has made me pass on a few bottles of 12 YO Beam.

1548167811IMG_0067.JPG

3 hours ago, Erk Russel Reserve said:

Here is another one.  I am paranoid about light struck high end hooch (even low end).  Many whisky shops have bright lights everywhere, even leds directly above bottles.  The black box that MM 101 comes in is perfect, the Beam window box has made me pass on a few bottles of 12 YO Beam.

1548167811IMG_0067.JPG

Indeed, I'm right there with you on that topic - dangers of UV.

I know a store where the top shelf backs up to a window.  Also consider that high priced stuff may sit there a long time. 😟

5 hours ago, Erk Russel Reserve said:

1548167811IMG_0067.JPG

Maybe, Beam is cleverly trying to induce your ancient Chinese secret of “bottle conditioning”?  🤣

Edited by smokinjoe

On 9/16/2022 at 7:50 PM, smokinjoe said:

Maybe, Beam is cleverly trying to induce your ancient Chinese secret of “bottle conditioning”?  🤣

Not with light!

26 minutes ago, Erk Russel Reserve said:

Not with light!

How do you know?  If the idea is that a whiskey can be conditioned in a bottle, and nearly all whiskey consumed is subjected for at least 1/2 of its existence to various forms of light, then it would seem that light could be a factor in this magically mystical process.  

• I like it 1

On this topic of fancy boxes, and whether or not those boxes should allow light through I offer these two key points:

1-All the boxes are stupid. I’ve never once found a scenario of extra packaging that made me want to pay more money for a bottle. They should eliminate every one of them and reduce the price of the bottle accordingly

2-None of the LE bottles stick around on store shelves these days, whether the shelves are hidden from UV, exposed to the sun, next to a volcano, or under a high voltage power line. If this were a glut-era time where expensive whiskey sat around for long periods of time, maybe concerns would be different but that isn’t the case at all. In 2022, rarely does any LE product sit anywhere exposed to light unless the place has super rapey gouge pricing, in which case screw them I wouldn’t buy from them regardless. For store with realistic pricing, no bottle is getting meaningfully harmed by a couple days near a window. I certainly hope no members here have any windows near their home bars or bunkers, otherwise you should probably throw out all that tainted whiskey. 

I was always under the impression that prolonged exposure to direct sunlight and/or heat were about the only things that could negatively affect stuff on the shelf. 

Biba! Joe

I tired it in Louisville this weekend and was quite impressed!   Was NOT the over-oaked mess I feared - it was quite awesome.   I also tried the 15-16 year old Jacob's Pardon (ironically in the fancy tin that will never allow light) and thought it was equally impressive.   They were both different, but quite tasty!

• I like it 4

On 9/17/2022 at 2:57 PM, smokinjoe said:

How do you know?  If the idea is that a whiskey can be conditioned in a bottle, and nearly all whiskey consumed is subjected for at least 1/2 of its existence to various forms of light, then it would seem that light could be a factor in this magically mystical process.  

There have been taste tests performed under somewhat scientific conditions over the past few years. If I find a link I will post it. On a train in Scotland right now though!

On 9/18/2022 at 2:04 PM, BottledInBond said:

On this topic of fancy boxes, and whether or not those boxes should allow light through I offer these two key points:

1-All the boxes are stupid. I’ve never once found a scenario of extra packaging that made me want to pay more money for a bottle. They should eliminate every one of them and reduce the price of the bottle accordingly

2-None of the LE bottles stick around on store shelves these days, whether the shelves are hidden from UV, exposed to the sun, next to a volcano, or under a high voltage power line. If this were a glut-era time where expensive whiskey sat around for long periods of time, maybe concerns would be different but that isn’t the case at all. In 2022, rarely does any LE product sit anywhere exposed to light unless the place has super rapey gouge pricing, in which case screw them I wouldn’t buy from them regardless. For store with realistic pricing, no bottle is getting meaningfully harmed by a couple days near a window. I certainly hope no members here have any windows near their home bars or bunkers, otherwise you should probably throw out all that tainted whiskey. 

Not just limited bourbon. If I spend one red cent on a bottle I want it as perfect as possible. Otherwise I would be drinking vodka. 

8 minutes ago, Erk Russel Reserve said:

There have been taste tests performed under somewhat scientific conditions over the past few years. If I find a link I will post it. On a train in Scotland right now though!

Wow, Scotland. You on vacation @Erk Russel Reserve, or did you move from Taiwan? 

Joe

On 9/22/2022 at 5:10 AM, Erk Russel Reserve said:

Bouncing all over!  Being soft in the middle helps with the cushion. 

Ummm, OK.  Yeah!  🥳

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.