Knob Creek 18

BogusOwnz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

9 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

Is this one of the oldest beam offerings to date? 

Probably tied for the oldest. The original Jim Beam Distiller's Masterpiece was 18 years old, but not sure if that was total or the straight bourbon before finishing. The oldest Knob Creek picks I recall seeing were 16 years old. I suppose farther back in the past there might have been something older, but extra-aged bourbons were not the norm. If there was, I'd guess it was a Japanese export only expression.

Before the boom, Buffalo Trace and Heaven Hill were the primary distilleries doing extra-aged expressions in the U.S. market (Elijah Craig 18, Eagle Rare 17, etc.). Wild Turkey did a few, but more in the Japanese market than the U.S. KBD, Van Winkle, and other bottlers were of course releasing bourbons and ryes with high age statements. My personal theory is that for a bourbon you are going to put down for a long time (15+ years), you want little to no rye in the mash bill and a low entry proof. BT #1, BT wheated, Heaven Hill's rye recipe bourbon, and Heaven's Hill's wheated bourbon all satisfy the low/no rye and were the primary mash bills being put down for long aging. Only one has less than maximum entry proof though. Old Charter and IW Harper were two more brands that historically used low rye content and at times featured higher age statements. Willett has a 7% rye mash bill that enters the barrel at 103 proof and I suspect this is intended for long aging.

• I like it 2

7 minutes ago, Jazz June said:

Probably tied for the oldest. The original Jim Beam Distiller's Masterpiece was 18 years old, but not sure if that was total or the straight bourbon before finishing. The oldest Knob Creek picks I recall seeing were 16 years old. I suppose farther back in the past there might have been something older, but extra-aged bourbons were not the norm. If there was, I'd guess it was a Japanese export only expression.

Before the boom, Buffalo Trace and Heaven Hill were the primary distilleries doing extra-aged expressions in the U.S. market (Elijah Craig 18, Eagle Rare 17, etc.). Wild Turkey did a few, but more in the Japanese market than the U.S. KBD, Van Winkle, and other bottlers were of course releasing bourbons and ryes with high age statements. My personal theory is that for a bourbon you are going to put down for a long time (15+ years), you want little to no rye in the mash bill and a low entry proof. BT #1, BT wheated, Heaven Hill's rye recipe bourbon, and Heaven's Hill's wheated bourbon all satisfy the low/no rye and were the primary mash bills being put down for long aging. Only one has less than maximum entry proof though. Old Charter and IW Harper were two more brands that historically used low rye content and at times featured higher age statements. Willett has a 7% rye mash bill that enters the barrel at 103 proof and I suspect this is intended for long aging.

Thanks..Great info!  Just like they say about Chuck Cowdery we’ll one day be saying “remember when JazzJune used to post on SB.com”  😆.   I may try to bunker that second kc18 that i passed on yesterday. Will be cool to see what Beam has put back. Surely they didnt use up all that 15 year old bourbon they were putting in the $49 KC single barrel offerings a couple years ago. 

46 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Thanks..Great info!  Just like they say about Chuck Cowdery we’ll one day be saying “remember when JazzJune used to post on SB.com”  😆.   I may try to bunker that second kc18 that i passed on yesterday. Will be cool to see what Beam has put back. Surely they didnt use up all that 15 year old bourbon they were putting in the $49 KC single barrel offerings a couple years ago. 

That's a very nice compliment so thank you, but I wouldn't put me with Chuck just yet :) Also, in looking back at some info, there was also a 20 year Distiller's Masterpiece, but again not sure on whether the 20 years was the underlying bourbon before finishing or the combined time in the two barrels.

• I like it 1

38 minutes ago, Jazz June said:

That's a very nice compliment so thank you, but I wouldn't put me with Chuck just yet :) Also, in looking back at some info, there was also a 20 year Distiller's Masterpiece, but again not sure on whether the 20 years was the underlying bourbon before finishing or the combined time in the two barrels.

Looks like at least the first release was 18 and then finished for 2 more years. 

On 10/2/2022 at 9:02 AM, FasterHorses said:

How much are you seeing it by you? $185 is lowest I've seen around here. One of the reviews I watched the person got it at their local Costco for $160, hoping mine gets some in. They had 15yr the last couple of years. 

18 minutes ago, BogusOwnz said:

How much are you seeing it by you? $185 is lowest I've seen around here. One of the reviews I watched the person got it at their local Costco for $160, hoping mine gets some in. They had 15yr the last couple of years. 

About $185-$200. Not sure if theyll stay in this range. The 15 yr kind of held steady but didnt ever jump. 

On 10/2/2022 at 12:09 AM, FasterHorses said:

Is this one of the oldest beam offerings to date? 

it is that I am aware of

• 2 weeks later...

An 18 year KC is tempting, but I keep remembering a 16 year local PBS of KC that was so woody it was almost undrinkable to me (and I like woody bourbon).  I am loving the current 12 year KC release and wonder just how much better (if any) the 18 year could actually be.

• I like it 1

Just now, Kyjd75 said:

An 18 year KC is tempting, but I keep remembering a 16 year local PBS of KC that was so woody it was almost undrinkable to me (and I like woody bourbon).  I am loving the current 12 year KC release and wonder just how much better (if any) the 18 year could actually be.

Ditto that.  Inquiring minds want to know.

And what about the EC18?

Fortunate enough to get a sample of the KC18; my initial thoughts:

Nose is really nice - loaded with oak char, but complex with cocoa, caramel, peanut brittle, bit of cherry cola, worn leather, wood polish and smoke.

Palate is ok - lot of oak (maybe not 'over-oaked' given the age, but honestly - I preferred the KC 12 over the KC 15; same with Pappy - prefer the 15 over the 20; and also wasn't a fan of most EC 18s), caramel, boiled peanuts (opening the door for all my Georgia pals to remind me I don't know sh!t about boiled peanuts), pecans, bit of chocolate and cinnamon.

Finish is long with toffee, peanut brittle and - you guessed it - oak.

Personally, not in my wheelhouse since I'm not a big oak fan.  The nose on this is delightful - while plenty of oak you can get past that to some lovely layers; but I struggled with the palate not being nearly as good as the nose.  Hope that helps!

• I like it 3

6 hours ago, Anwalt said:

Ditto that.  Inquiring minds want to know.

And what about the EC18?

EC18 is not worth the price of admission IMO. Low proof and overpriced. 

• I like it 1

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, MadGoodPour said:

shit is good, not an oak bomb, in fact less of an oak bomb than the kc15

I really liked it too!   Did not get as much oak as I expected.   I did an aged bourbon blind flight a few weeks ago- and it held up very well against EC18, OF 16, PVW 15, HH 17, and Beam 's new 15/16 blend Jacob's Well.

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.