Dating some OGD 114 help needed

BuzzedinBC
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hey y’all 

just trying to date these 2 bottles of OGD 114 

I don’t think the 91 in 591 means 1991 but possibly the last 2 numbers above identify the year. They might be 91. Hard to see. 

UPC is Beam though. 

Thanks for any help 

1AB6492B-AEC8-4F62-B109-6EE27A454029.png

D316DEAB-76C0-453D-B486-83B5DE3EE602.png

B83D4509-1C91-4732-9F5D-87BEA3725156.png

Welcome to SB to start.

NOW!  I am confused.  Looks like the two bottles are missing an inch or two of liquid.  Did you drink that?  How was it?

Re: dating the bottles.  Have you contacted Beam-Suntory about this?  On more occasions than many of us can believe, the major distiller/producers are surprisingly forthcoming about the details associated with their products.

Finally, I must ask: What does it matter to you when this distillate was placed in its bottles.  I have OGD 114 I bought circa 2014 and have added to that stash over the years, and all I think about is - How many of these are still on my shelf and do I need more?

• I like it 1

Hmm odd. I thought I’d posted here before. I think I possibly had an account on a very old email that got hacked and I got locked out of. 

Not my bottles. Just someone selling them. Not exactly sure what happened there. 

Have not contacted Beam. I’ve found them unhelpful in the past with Bookers questions. 

It matters because I’m curious and like to know. If from 1991 it’s possibly National distillers juice. Maybe it tastes different after Beam acquired them. 

Fun to side by side. 

• I like it 2

I looked back. Only ever made a few posts. I tend to join these sites and contribute a bit but mostly read. 

• I like it 1

8 minutes ago, BuzzedinBC said:

I looked back. Only ever made a few posts. I tend to join these sites and contribute a bit but mostly read. 

Just curious, what was your old user name? 

Joe

9 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Just curious, what was your old user name? 

Joe

Possibly SmokenWhisky ? 

But I did look back and see I have made posts on here under this username. 

I’ve used that name in other forums for cigars and such 

Not someone that got booted and made a new username lol. 

I can’t make heads nor tails of things from the markings on the bottom of the bottle. Strange. Also can’t read the UPC. FWIW,  I’d be a little leery of those bottles. I find it odd that both have low fill levels that are virtually the same. Very odd.

• I like it 2

7 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I can’t make heads nor tails of things from the markings on the bottom of the bottle. Strange. Also can’t read the UPC. FWIW,  I’d be a little leery of those bottles. I find it odd that both have low fill levels that are virtually the same. Very odd.

Yeah. The guy selling it always comes up with old stuff and has no complaints but these seem off. The last 2 digits above liquor bottle seem unreadable and he says the 91 in 591 means it’s a 1991. I disagree as whiskyid has bottles from the 80s with the 591 stamp 

Based on another bottle and whisky id the year is above the word liquor bottle. 
Seller even sent me an example of one from a secondary group. 
He said no worries if I don’t want it as he already has someone else lined up to buy. 

1C58BD6F-D7B7-46DA-B2F3-F994B4777990.jpeg

A couple of random musings that are probably not helpful for your query…🤪

The OGD 114 bottle styling before this one (current) were notoriously low filled to about the level shown in your pics.  I’m not aware of this occurring in the new/current style bottle, though.  However, I see that there is what appears to be Japanese markings on the backside, and the bottle shows it is a 750ml from the embossing.  It has been seen from time to time that American distillers will only fill 700 ml of a 750 if the bottle is destined for a non-US market where 700 ml is typically the norm.  However, I would think that the label would indicate 700ml in that case, but this label shows 750ml.  

• I like it 3

Fascinating exchange IMO.  I learned some stuff.

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

A couple of random musings that are probably not helpful for your query…🤪

The OGD 114 bottle styling before this one (current) were notoriously low filled to about the level shown in your pics.  I’m not aware of this occurring in the new/current style bottle, though.  However, I see that there is what appears to be Japanese markings on the backside, and the bottle shows it is a 750ml from the embossing.  It has been seen from time to time that American distillers will only fill 700 ml of a 750 if the bottle is destined for a non-US market where 700 ml is typically the norm.  However, I would think that the label would indicate 700ml in that case, but this label shows 750ml.  

Yeah. That might be right. Seems weird they’re both so low and nearly the same. 

one of the bottles though is definitely marked 02 so that settles it. 

I love this stuff. I hate this stuff. 🤬 I’ve even tried to check and see if there’s been any differences in OGD 114 bottle tops/caps over the years, like there was with the OGD BIB. 🤪

Joe

• I like it 1

I like OGD 114, but would not offer any money for those bottles pictured, because of low fill level.

If you look at box on the right, it appears damaged near top.

It could be, bottles stored on their sides and slowly leaked - fill level mystery solved.

Then maybe remaining whiskey is corked.

Seller already has someone lined up to buy - sounds like a hustle.  Ok, then why didn't they just buy it. 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, PaulO said:

I like OGD 114, but would not offer any money for those bottles pictured, because of low fill level.

If you look at box on the right, it appears damaged near top.

It could be, bottles stored on their sides and slowly leaked - fill level mystery solved.

Then maybe remaining whiskey is corked.

Seller already has someone lined up to buy - sounds like a hustle.  Ok, then why didn't they just buy it. 

I was going to take it until I started examining the bottom stamps closer. 

He was saying the 91 in 591 meant 1991. 

Showed him different pics and he agreed that I was probably right. 

I backed out of the deal. My friend says he’s a good guy and has done deals with him and it’s just a case of him being confused. 

He sold another bottle that had a 00 stamp but also the 591 that he claimed was for 1991. 

I kind of want to message that buyer and tell

him what’s up…paid $800 for it. Looks like a remake edition of an older bottle or something. Had the ribbon on the neck and gold box. I’ll post a pic. 

• I like it 1

18 hours ago, PaulO said:

Paid $800 🤪 - OGD 114 goes for $25 USD around here.  Some people even find it cheaper.

My Dad paid $800 for a car once.  Of course, it was in 1963, and the car was a 1929 2 door Model A sedan in pretty good shape.  I paid $800 to have wiring in my car fixed in 2018 after a squirrel made a nest on the battery and chewed through a bunch of wires.

OTOH, I've sure spent too much on a LOT of stuff over the years so who am I to criticize or even make fun? 

• I like it 1

I paid $700 for my first car.  1970 Skylark.  I bought in in 1978.  I paid $500 for a dinner in Michigan a couple of months ago.  

Interestingly, I felt both were worth the price.  Sure, I would have preferred to pay less in both instances.  However, in both instances, I felt both were consistent with the market price at the time.

I have difficulty finding an instance where $800 is a reasonable price for a whiskey.  Even, if money were not an issue, I still would have difficulty finding that as a reasonable price for a whiskey.  But, I only make decision for myself and I can't/don't/won't judge others decisions.  

However, $800 to fix squirrel damage to wiring in a car sounds like a bargain!

Am I missing something here?  Is the special provenance of this whiskey that in 1991 it would have been distilled by National Distillers?

On 10/9/2022 at 5:58 PM, mbroo5880i said:

I paid $700 for my first car.  1970 Skylark.  I bought in in 1978.  I paid $500 for a dinner in Michigan a couple of months ago.  

Interestingly, I felt both were worth the price.  Sure, I would have preferred to pay less in both instances.  However, in both instances, I felt both were consistent with the market price at the time.

I have difficulty finding an instance where $800 is a reasonable price for a whiskey.  Even, if money were not an issue, I still would have difficulty finding that as a reasonable price for a whiskey.  But, I only make decision for myself and I can't/don't/won't judge others decisions.  

However, $800 to fix squirrel damage to wiring in a car sounds like a bargain!

Am I missing something here?  Is the special provenance of this whiskey that in 1991 it would have been distilled by National Distillers?

Yeah. The guy that paid $800 , Canadian dollars I should add, thought he was getting a 1991 bottling. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.