SB Blend Custom Label

clearmoon247
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Good Evening Everyone,

I wanted to reach out and see if I could get some assistance with finding the SB Blend label that was made many years ago that looked like the Weller Centennial label, but added the recipe/ratio of W12/OWA to make the original SB Blend.

I've searched for some time and have come up blank.

Thank you all for your amazing assistance in advance

This probably isn’t what you’re looking for, but here’s a couple of pics anyway. 

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• I like it 4

Glad you found it @clearmoon247.  I seem to remember that. I’m not sure if it’s from the original SB Blend though. I thought the original blend was two parts OWA to one part Weller 12. That would make the proof 101.33. Also and FWIW, and as much as I’d like to lay claim to the original SB Weller Blend, I have to admit that I had nothing to do with it at all. I do remember chatting with a couple of folks about it in the chat room long ago though.

Biba! Joe

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Glad you found it @clearmoon247.  I seem to remember that. I’m not sure if it’s from the original SB Blend though. I thought the original blend was two parts OWA to one part Weller 12. That would make the proof 101.33. Also and FWIW, and as much as I’d like to lay claim to the original SB Weller Blend, I have to admit that I had nothing to do with it at all. I do remember chatting with a couple of folks about it in the chat room long ago though.

Biba! Joe

or is it equal parts? The blend is also trying to get as close as possible to 10yrs old. 2 OWA to 1 12 comes out to 8.66 yrs. Equal parts gets very close to both age and proof.

3 hours ago, flahute said:

or is it equal parts? The blend is also trying to get as close as possible to 10yrs old. 2 OWA to 1 12 comes out to 8.66 yrs. Equal parts gets very close to both age and proof.

Now you have me wondering Steve. It may have been equal parts. As I said before, this started years ago (2009?) in the chat room. I just can’t remember who first came up with it. Probably the same person that helped me finally make my 2009 WLW drinkable. (Maybe @gblick?) I mentioned in chat one night that I had a couple of bottles of 2009 that were practically undrinkable. I also said that I had blended equal parts 2009 WLW and Weller SR, and that tamed down the heat of the WLW, but it was still lacking something. I was asked if I had any Stitzel Weller Old Fitz Prime. Well, I just so happened to have found a number of dusty 200 ml  bottles of SW Old Fitz in an out of the way store a few months before. Bingo! That handle in the picture I posted above was the end result. It was a 750 of 2009 WLW, a 750 of Weller SR, and a 200 ml of SW Old Fitz Prime. The end result was pretty damned good. Back to the Blend.

I didn’t really seriously do much more till 2016- 2017. When I started messing around, I didn’t really think much about the age, I just wanted to come up with a Weller Blend  that came close to the 100 proof of the Weller Centennial. Idiot that I am, I didn’t keep notes. I believe my 2017 Weller Blend was 3X OWA and 2X Weller SR. That comes out to 101.2 proof. It was as close as I could get to  100 proof without breaking out shot glasses and measuring spoons. My 2018 Weller Blend started out with the same recipe. I changed the recipe a little after the first batch. When I started my Weller blending, I’d been reluctant to use Weller 12 because I liked it well enough on its own. After the first batch of my 2018 Weller Blend, I gave in and tweaked the recipe to 3X OWA, 1X Weller 12, and 1X Weller SR. Then came my 2021 Weller Blend. I decided to simplify the recipe. Proof be damned. Besides, I was running out of OWA. Easy  Peazy  at  equal parts Weller SR, Weller 12 and OWA. The resulting  proof was 95.66. I even did a 2021 Joe’s Weller Blend, Gary’s Batch  with the same recipe using bottles that @Vosgar had left me. Pheeeew! :unsure: Anyway, that’s my story, and I’m sticking to it. 😉

Oh, one more thing, which I’ve mentioned before. I took a sample of my 2018 Weller Blend with me to BT when I went there for a distillery function.  BT CEO Mark Brown had agreed to a meeting with me and the folks in our small group. We had a really great time with Mark Brown and all the powers that be at BT. Mark accepted a sample of my Weller Blend. He was grateful, and said he’d have it analyzed by the lab. 😎 He later contacted me with the results. The lab folks said it was sImilar to Weller CYPB. A little less viscous, and lacking some in overall flavor. I beg to differ. 🤣 Fun stuff.

image.jpeg.25a93e82963ff6d3b433b4512ac6343a.jpeg

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.