Wild Turkey going Premium

CUfan99
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Taylor Cope tweeted a Campari presentation slide showing future? pricing by offering. They’re acquiring Wilderness Trail by the way for $600M. 

$90-110 for Rare Breed and Kentucky Spirit! $32-55 for WT101. Figuratively I’ve already picked up my ball and went home on premium bourbon. RB is a welcomed splurge every now and then for $50-55. I used to hunt LEs, then it became store picks, then it was “dusty” shelfies in off the beaten path stores. Like orange or black cap OGDBiB or an old label KCSiB. When that’s over I don’t if this current stuff will be worth the coin for my situation. 

Somebody tell me what I’m missing if there’s something I’m sleeping on. 

C43C5B12-CC66-4FAA-BAB3-DE91FE8E1015.jpeg

Edited by CUfan99
typo
  • I like it 1

The only thing missing from my perspective would be context.  I would need to see and understand the who-what-when-where-why, of this presentation.  At that point I could try and understand what this graphic is intended to show.  

• I like it 2

55 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

The only thing missing from my perspective would be context.  I would need to see and understand the who-what-when-where-why, of this presentation.  At that point I could try and understand what this graphic is intended to show.  

That Wilderness Trail news just dropped in my email in box which is why I came HERE to see what "others" are saying.  "Another one bites the dust" came to mind.

RE: the chart/bourbon pyramid/show-and-tell slide, I'm with Joe - Was it prepared to make US run out and scoop up existing inventory?  Prepared for Campari managers?  Did US Dept of Agriculture put out a new food nutrition tree?  Frankly, I'll be leaning lower "left" - Entry and MAYBE the Russells.

• I like it 1

Campari is showing RR13 ($100++ SRP) and Single Rickhouse ($250 SRP) on a lower price point level than the Rare Breeds (both) and WTKS. Not sure if their plan is for their expressions to be priced on these levels or if this is where they see them now. But nowhere do I expect to see RB or WTKS priced higher than RR13 now or in the future (at least I hope that’s not the case). …OR, somebody made a BIG mistake and no one noticed because they know nothing about Wild Turkey. (most likely explanation maybe)

• I like it 1

I love both WTs.  I also have enough booze to never need buy another bottle.  Campari seems slow to move on pretty much everything.  Heard the latest play is more for Wilderness’s contract operation.  Regardless I’m happy for those guys and eagerly await their rye getting older.

"Conclusion

> Further expand our bourbon brand portfolio by adding the fast growing super/ultra premium Wilderness Trail brand, accelerating our premiumisation journey and enriching our RARE portfolio"

accelerating our premiumisation journey...shivers down my spine. 

• I like it 3

3 hours ago, flahute said:

For those looking for more context that image was part of this presentation to investors explaining the Wilderness acquisition.

https://www.camparigroup.com/sites/default/files/downloads/20221031%20Wilderness%20Trail%20Transaction%20Investor%20Presentation.pdf

There is a disclaimer at the bottom of this. 😉

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, PaulO said:

There is a disclaimer at the bottom of this. 😉

I'm just the messenger.

I love WT products, but this strategy doesn't seem to align with reality.  WTRB sits on the shelf at $50, eg, so unless they plan on massively reducing supply / distribution the new price points seem odd to me.

Glad to see most of y’all don’t sit through corporate presentations and think, “these people don’t understand our business.” 

I see.  The pyramid slide was included in a presentation to investors, and attempted to show investors what investors want to see (large spreads, high prices, and potentials for increased shareholder value).  The Disclaimer that Paul skillfully pointed out says it all…ie, nothing to see here…. 

BTW, is Forgiven still made?

• I like it 2

4 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

I see.  The pyramid slide was included in a presentation to investors, and attempted to show investors what investors want to see (large spreads, high prices, and potentials for increased shareholder value).  The Disclaimer that Paul skillfully pointed out says it all…ie, nothing to see here…. 

BTW, is Forgiven still made?

So does that mean it's bunk?  Sorry if I'm a bit slow on the uptake.

1 minute ago, PhantomLamb said:

Interpretive misinformation maybe? 🤪

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

59 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Interpretive misinformation maybe? 🤪

Biba! Joe

Alternative facts?

• I like it 1

47 minutes ago, PhantomLamb said:

I’d say it’s a big oversell.  Kinda like a political candidate giving a long list of lofty campaign promises tailored specifically to a part of the electorate that craves all of those lavish promises.  

• I like it 5

5 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I’d say it’s a big oversell.  Kinda like a political candidate giving a long list of lofty campaign promises tailored specifically to a part of the electorate that craves all of those lavish promises.  

Hey that works for me, thanks for the clarification.

Maybe I’m alone in this but I think purchasing Wilderness Trail could actually be a good symbiotic relationship and push their product over the edge as a “higher tier” offering due to Wild Turkey’s inaccurate rep.

All that being said, I can only hope this means we will get access to Wilderness Trail here in PA and also, I need to go out and buy a bottle of RB Rye before it skyrockets in price 😂.

WT is one of my top 2 all time favorites along with 4R. Wilderness Trail is one of my favorites among the new crop of distilleries. Weird pricing pyramid aside, the Campari acquisition of WT has by all accounts benefited the brand and they are doing quite well now several years after the purchase.

I am hopeful that Wilderness Trail enjoys a beneficial result as well. Their product has steadily improved as the ages have climbed. If this acquisition provides long term stability and growth while maintaining what has made them stand out thus far in their short existence, I’m for it.

What I do not support is the run away price inflation infecting the whisky aisle these last few years. 

• I like it 4

This thread has me thinking about the rise in price of bourbon relative to the value of a dollar.  I seem to recall being able to buy WR for $24 and FRSiB for $28 in 2012.  Using an on-line inflation calculator, the price of WR should be $30 and FRSiB should be $36.  I can easily find WR for $32 and FRSiB for $42.  Obviously, this doesn't take into account scarcity or age of the product.  I believe both were better products in 2012.   

Sorry for the thread drift.  It just got me to thinking about bourbon pricing in relative terms.

Back on topic, if the price of WT rises to above a level of comparable products then I will shift to other brands.  WT101 is a bargain in today's market.  However, I am certain I can find a suitable replacement.  

14 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

if the price of WT rises to above a level of comparable products then I will shift to other brands.

After reading through the thread and taking a look at the rest of the presentation, this too is where I will land.  I like WT and I understand this might be overpromising to a bunch of investors but if Campari has any thoughts that they could push the price of their bottom tier to those levels, I would look elsewhere.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.