DSP KY 15 used by the Old Lewis Hunter Distillery?

StefanCash
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Goodmorning from the Netherlands,

I have a bottle of Mattingly & Moore in my collection from Seagrams , the label states; Distilled by Old Lewis Hunter Distillery Company at DSP-KY-15 and bottled by Frankfort Distilling company at DSP-KY-37

When i checked the DSP15 number it turns out to be a distillery in Bardstown (CL Applegate) https://modernthirst.com/home/dsp-numbers/

Is it possible that Seagram aquired the DSP15 number and allowed to use it at the Old Lewis Hunter Distillery?

The location that is was bottled KY37 leads to a location in Louisville where the name of Julius Kessler pops up, i did read somewhere that he was related to the Frankfort Distilling Company.

368971-big.jpg

312544469_452362930362324_565523850186977849_n.jpg

19 minutes ago, PaulO said:

"Bottled In Bond" and 86 proof (not 100) seems like a label error that got past the TTB. 🤔

Indeed, i have seen more of those bottles , most are export bottles , this one is also an export bottle for the Japanese Market :)

7 hours ago, PaulO said:

"Bottled In Bond" and 86 proof (not 100) seems like a label error that got past the TTB. 🤔

It wasn't a controlled term in export markets, so there are a fair few "BiB" bourbons at less than 100 proof from years past. I don't know what the TTB/labeling situation would have been long ago.

• I like it 1

So now that sorted out lets get back on topic 😀

What can we say about the DSP-KY-15 number on this bottle? From the list its marked as a location in Bardstown, did Seagrams owned a distillery on that location in the 60s?

Or did Seagrams re-used the number at the Old Lewis Hunter location ?

Is it plausible that the spirit in this bottle was distilled in the Old Lewis Hunter Distillery?

(If you read the label: Distilled by Old Lewis Hunter Distillery Company at DSP-KY-15 

In my opinion it sounds strange if the Old Lewis Hunter Distillery Company used the Bardstown Distillery at DSP-KY-15 to produce there spirit 😆

Best regards, Stefan

According to Zoeller's book, Old Lewis Hunter DSP-15 was rebuilt after Prohibition and purchased by Seagrams during WWII. It says it closed for good in 1978. It gives the location as Harrison County, not Bardstown (Nelson County). It looks like Julius Kessler Distilling Company was an owner or operator at some point, but the text doesn't specify. After Prohibition, Julius Kessler Distilling Company was a wholly owned subsidiary of Seagram's according to Wikipedia.

DSP-KY-37 was a Seagram's distillery in Louisville. It was built after Prohibition, operated for a time by Julius Kessler Distilling Company. Seagram's produced GNS here for their blends, then bourbons during the post-WWII boom. As sales declined, the distillery was closed, apparently in the 60s or 70s.

The Mattingly & Moore tradermark was assigned by Four Roses to Seagram's in 1962. It was sold to Heaven Hill at the dissolution of Seagram's.

Putting that all together, I'd say this whiskey was distilled, bottled, and sold by Seagram's sometime in the 60s or 70s. The 69 on the bottom of the glass would make me guess it was bottled in 1969.

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.