Which one would grab?

Dedward429
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

4RSBS or KCSBS

I'm new to bourbon and abbreviations so my apologize if they are off. I was at a grocery store getting my first bottle of WTRB for 45$ on sale. I was happy to find it and wanted a different bottle to try with my cousins who are also new to bourbon. It was between the 2 mentioned above and I went with the 4RSBS because 4RSB is one of my favorite  mixers. I still haven't tried any of the KC line but have a KC12 waiting to be opened. Thanks for the input, Cheers, and happy Thanksgiving!

I would probably get the 4 Roses single barrel  (because I really like the it0 but either is very good, in the you can't go wrong category.

• I like it 2

I would opt for the FR SiB as well.  It is one of the more consistent single barrel offerings.  I remember moving from FRSmB to FR SiB in my FR journey.  You are in for a pleasant experience.  Enjoy!

I suggest you try regular KC9 bourbon before opening your bottle of KC12 or expanding out picking up a bottle of KC SiB.  They are all good.  I really enjoy KC9.  However, KC12 and KC SiB take that experience to a totally different level. Trying KC9 would give you a baseline for the KC bourbon lineup and make your experience with the other two expressions even more enjoyable.  

• I like it 4

5 minutes ago, CaptTim said:

You should open that KC 12 ..  I bet you would go back to the store and pickup the KCSBS too.

haha, this too!  I would just grab them all and then you can do SBS comparisons!  A KC ladder (KC9, KC12, KC SiB) would be sweet right about now. 😀

We are here to enable. 😉

• I like it 3

Appreciate the input all. The FR SiB was amazing. Definitely worth the buy. I am planning on trying the whole KC line at some point. I like the idea to start with the 9 and drink my way up. Maybe open one a day. First I have to try the WT line and an OGD114. Having trouble finding an OGD114 in the Chicago land suburbs.

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I suggest you try regular KC9 bourbon before opening your bottle of KC12 or expanding out picking up a bottle of KC SiB.  They are all good.  I really enjoy KC9.  However, KC12 and KC SiB take that experience to a totally different level. Trying KC9 would give you a baseline for the KC bourbon lineup and make your experience with the other two expressions even more enjoyable. 

What he said.  Good way to start.  And the KC's are just a great value.  Great to follow.

Hard to go wrong with the 4R as well, for similar reasons, though I think 4R prices are going up faster than KC.  But they do have a very distinct taste to them.

Law of Averages says: you will have both of those in your regular rotation. Two different profiles, but both excellent. Either one poured on a particular day, hardly disappoints...

• I like it 3

8 hours ago, Dedward429 said:

. Having trouble finding an OGD114 in the Chicago land suburbs

Don't know if this helps, but if you are ever in Southeastern Wisconsin, you will find plentiful OGD 114. I know some of you Chicagoland folks like to pass through the greater Milwaukee area on your way to more interesting parts of my state. 😁

As for your original question, you can't go wrong with FRSiB. 

Take this for what it's worth, but I've observed that among my good friends that got into bourbon recently, they usually enjoyed Knob Creek more than Four Roses at first.  Four Roses uses a very  high percentage of rye content as its secondary grain, which produces a spicy profile than can turn off palates that are new to drinking whiskey neat.  It doesn't mean than any single individual will have the same result;  just my personal observation in an admittedly very small sample size...

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

Take this for what it's worth, but I've observed that among my good friends that got into bourbon recently, they usually enjoyed Knob Creek more than Four Roses at first.  Four Roses uses a very  high percentage of rye content as its secondary grain, which produces a spicy profile than can turn off palates that are new to drinking whiskey neat.  It doesn't mean than any single individual will have the same result;  just my personal observation in an admittedly very small sample size...

I can see that.  In many ways, KC is more approachable. 

On 11/25/2022 at 8:13 AM, Thomm said:

Don't know if this helps, but if you are ever in Southeastern Wisconsin, you will find plentiful OGD 114. I know some of you Chicagoland folks like to pass through the greater Milwaukee area on your way to more interesting parts of my state. 😁

As for your original question, you can't go wrong with FRSiB. 

Thanks, that does help. I go fishing in WI every year, so I'll keep an eye out

On 11/25/2022 at 3:14 PM, Kepler said:

In my early days I really struggled with 4R. In addition to the high rye it's also their unique yeasts. For a new to bourbon palate it just tastes weird. Then when you "get it" you can't get enough.

• I like it 4

55 minutes ago, flahute said:

In my early days I really struggled with 4R. In addition to the high rye it's also their unique yeasts. For a new to bourbon palate it just tastes weird. Then when you "get it" you can't get enough.

You tried to resist but it is futile. Now you are a member of the cult.

11 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

You tried to resist but it is futile. Now you are a member of the cult.

And one of the biggest cheerleaders!

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.