Fair price for Weller 12 year

Dedward429
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I found a little "hole in the wall" liquor store near me that stocks some of the allocated bourbons such as Weller 12 year and Full proof. He was asking 170$ for the 12 year but that seemed very high to me. What is considered a fair price for the Wellers? I don't mind paying over msrp but I don't want to get ripped off either. I live in the SW Chicago suburbs if that makes a difference. Thanks all.

• I like it 1

That sounds more reasonably priced. I want to try the Weller line, but not at 170$ a bottle, unless it's msrp is 170$.

2 hours ago, Dedward429 said:

I found a little "hole in the wall" liquor store near me that stocks some of the allocated bourbons such as Weller 12 year and Full proof. He was asking 170$ for the 12 year but that seemed very high to me. What is considered a fair price for the Wellers? I don't mind paying over msrp but I don't want to get ripped off either. I live in the SW Chicago suburbs if that makes a difference. Thanks all.

It depends on your market and your desire to have it. I wouldn’t pay that but I’d also never see one that low in my market. I could have one today for $300. I’d buy a 80’s model 8 year WT 101 for that. 

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, markandrex said:

I just paid $69.99 for one here.

The last one I bought in Indy was about a year ago and I paid $63.99.  I was a frequent buyer in the low to mid-$20s 10 years ago.  Those days are gone.  I suspect if I run across another bottle in my area $69.99 would be the new price.  I would be a buyer at that price.

• I like it 1

25 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

The last one I bought in Indy was about a year ago and I paid $63.99.  I was a frequent buyer in the low to mid-$20s 10 years ago.  Those days are gone.  I suspect if I run across another bottle in my area $69.99 would be the new price.  I would be a buyer at that price.

As would I. I would be willing to pay around 100$, but at 170 I'll continue to have fun hunting. Hunting is half the fun for me anyways.

• I like it 2

If you're looking to just try the Weller line, my recommendation is to look for some bars/restaurants that have reasonably priced pours.  I'm in the boat of not being willing to pay over MSRP, and as that MSRP climbs I probably don't buy it (but, that's coming from a place where I know that I don't love it - I mainly keep it on hand for SB Blend, and if given the chance to buy Weller 12 or Weller Antique 107 - I'd take the latter every time).  On premise you could probably swing a pour of several of the Wellers for $100 or so, and then make a better informed decision about the value to your palate.

• I like it 3

11 hours ago, Dedward429 said:

I shall be the voice of dissent. 

I live in a place where the bourbon selection is unimpressive.  While I like to hunt, my ability to directly do so is limited.  I drink fairly little volume, so when someone says "I can get a y bottles of x for the price of one W12"...well, I'm probably not gonna consume y bottles of anything.  Since I drink fairly little (these guys will drink me under the table at the April meet-up in KY and laugh as I slobber & go fetal under that table), I tend to value quality over quantity.  Sometimes that quality costs.  I'm also doing pretty well in the economics department and don't have very expensive hobbies (though that is changing as we travel more and I get back into putting small pieces of metal through the air at high velocity).  My time is worth something and hunting takes time, though I do enjoy it.  There's a trade-off there.

So I paid $200 (secondary market for it tends to be closer to $250) earlier this year for my first W12.  Didn't bother me much at all. I'm fine with $8/ounce.  What are we paying in bars for those sips?  Granted, I had tried W12 beforehand and decided $200 was fine on that basis.

I subsequently got a 700 ml for $40 in France (and plan on repeating that over & over, my version of the hunt, I suppose).  And then, in a stroke of luck, one of my bird-dogs got a 750 ml for $40 (another version of my hunt).

Did those cheaper bottles make me regret the $200 purchase?  No.  

Will I buy another at $200?  Not unless I run out and cannot get more of those French bottles here & again.

Value is highly subjective.  What was written in this thread is not wrong.  It's right for those who wrote it. You should know you.  Then you do you.

• I like it 4

I paid $100 for a bottle of W12 a couple of years ago because I'd never seen it on the shelf at any price.  I'd had it in a bar and really liked it so no regrets but I wouldn't pay that again.  Last year, I was able to get another bottle for around $30.  So, with dollar cost averaging, that made them $67.50 each, which is about the most I would pay if I found it again.

• I like it 3

There was a window of several years, I could buy it under $30.  And buy it I did.  I used to go to a place near my work during lunch.  I'd buy two and hide them behind the seat of the pickup.  When I got home, one got opened, the other put in the bunker.

Had I never tried it, I'd probably spring for an expensive bar pour at least once.

Having had quite a bit in the past, I'd say it's good, but doesn't blow everything else away.

When it comes to throwing mad money (like hundred(s) - I'd pass on W12, save the money, or buy something else.

• I like it 1

On 11/30/2022 at 5:32 AM, Anwalt said:

I live in a place where the bourbon selection is unimpressive.  While I like to hunt, my ability to directly do so is limited.  I drink fairly little volume, so when someone says "I can get a y bottles of x for the price of one W12"...well, I'm probably not gonna consume y bottles of anything.  Since I drink fairly little (these guys will drink me under the table at the April meet-up in KY and laugh as I slobber & go fetal under that table), I tend to value quality over quantity.  Sometimes that quality costs.  I'm also doing pretty well in the economics department and don't have very expensive hobbies (though that is changing as we travel more and I get back into putting small pieces of metal through the air at high velocity).  My time is worth something and hunting takes time, though I do enjoy it.  There's a trade-off there.

So I paid $200 (secondary market for it tends to be closer to $250) earlier this year for my first W12.  Didn't bother me much at all. I'm fine with $8/ounce.  What are we paying in bars for those sips?  Granted, I had tried W12 beforehand and decided $200 was fine on that basis.

I subsequently got a 700 ml for $40 in France (and plan on repeating that over & over, my version of the hunt, I suppose).  And then, in a stroke of luck, one of my bird-dogs got a 750 ml for $40 (another version of my hunt).

Will I buy another at $200?  Not unless I run out and cannot get more of those French bottles here & again.

Value is highly subjective.  What was written in this thread is not wrong.  It's right for those who wrote it. You should know you.  Then you do you.

Well said friend. It's only worth what I'm willing to pay. I'll try to negotiate the next one, but regardless of the outcome, I'll walk out with that bottle.

• I like it 1

On 11/30/2022 at 6:32 AM, Anwalt said:

Words of wisdom.   I may resist the secondary market,  but principal only goes so far.   I dropped $210 a month or so ago on a Russell's Reserve 13,  and have been enjoying it to the max.   Perfect for a moonlit night at the beach.   

Value is subjective,  including as to time and place.   If Weller 12 is your holy grail, then by all means scratch that itch if you're able.

• I like it 4

I have never seen this for under $300, in my area. Before I joined this forum, I thought, well I'll never own it otherwise so why not?

Since joining the forum, I have been a lot more patient and punting on these type of offerings.

Even if it's for one of those stupid, you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours. For example, if you buy this store pick we'll sell this W12 for $40.

This may make you feel dirty but, it's much more advantageous.

You may not love the price this year but eventually, you will find it for a better one.

Sazerac has been slow to raise prices on many of their legacy allocated products, but Weller Antique, Full Proof, SiB, and CYPB all have an MSRP of $50. Not sure why they don’t bump the 12yr to $50 and probably replace the screw cap with a cork along with it. I like Weller 12 a fair bit as a lower proof sipper but wouldn’t buy it at secondary pricing (~$250). Where my limit is between $38 MSRP and $250 is, I don’t know.

• I like it 1

On 11/29/2022 at 6:41 PM, Dedward429 said:

MSRP is $40. I think $75 MAX

On 12/2/2022 at 7:55 AM, Jazzhead said:

Words of wisdom.   I may resist the secondary market,  but principal only goes so far.   I dropped $210 a month or so ago on a Russell's Reserve 13,  and have been enjoying it to the max.   Perfect for a moonlit night at the beach.   

Value is subjective,  including as to time and place.   If Weller 12 is your holy grail, then by all means scratch that itch if you're able.

IT's a $40 Bourbon in the end .....No matter the secondary . 

I had it once in a bar and ‘‘twas very uninspired. Some very nice scotch or Armagnac can be had for $170. 

saw it a couple places around the central CA coast:

wsr 100

owa107 200

w12 400

wfp 600

cypb 800

multiples of each in a glass case. Guy was offended when i laughed at how much they were marked at.

• I like it 2

I bought it last month… a place where it has always been msrp, so i just assumed it was this year too. Was so distracted by my other finds that when i got out the door my buddy said .. did u see the price on that w12? I had not.. so i paid $169 without knowing it. I have bought enough at $39-$99 that im ok with the average. Will not make that mistake again and will not chase w12 even though its in my top 5. Easy to say when your bunker is full. 😆

• I like it 3

I'm still looking for my 1st Weller12, but I have tried it in a bar a couple of different times & I think Weller Antique beats it hands down; that I've score for $45 to $60. I would never pay $170 for W12 and have turned it down at least 3 times for $150. When KC12 can be had from $50 to $70, it's a no brainer on my choice...

• I like it 3

We all have some level of FOMO.  Those of us who have enjoyed many bottles of W12 and OWA over the years have our opinions.  However, those who have not tried it and never see it might be tempted to pay up a little.  Look at this way, in a restaurant or bar, a 2 oz. pour is probably between $15 to $20.  You get 12.5 pours per bottle. You can do the math. While I probably wouldn't pay more than $70 for a bottle, I wouldn't think it is crazy if someone paid $100 for a bottle.

• I like it 3

• 3 weeks later...

I remember buying lots of Weller 12 (when it was still SW) for 12-14 dollars per bottle. 😞

• I like it 2

I think anything under $45 is ok.  I understand it’s scarcity and if you never had a bottle I could see buying one for up to double that to try it.  It’s good bourbon in the under $40 range, It’s simply not a $100+ whiskey. If you’re paying more $100 more I think you’ll be disappointed.  It doesn’t try to be a premium brand, it’s basically the extra aged version of a bottom to mid shelf straight bourbon nothing more.

I think a good comparison would be W12 is similar to Jim Beam black in the JB line. It’s an extra aged offering of their basic product, it’s not like it’s Booker’s/Baker’s or something where they’re selective on barrels, change the filtration and proof.  Just extra aged.  Nothing justifies it being a $100+ bottle, other than BT unable to keep up with demand or possibly creating artificial scarcity.  

I think a good Makers Private Select or even some of the other Makers premium products is going to beat W12 in a blind taste and retail is going to be a lot less than the crazy secondary price.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, HoustonNit said:

I think anything under $45 is ok.  I understand it’s scarcity and if you never had a bottle I could see buying one for up to double that to try it.  It’s good bourbon in the under $40 range, It’s simply not a $100+ whiskey. If you’re paying more $100 more I think you’ll be disappointed.  It doesn’t try to be a premium brand, it’s basically the extra aged version of a bottom to mid shelf straight bourbon nothing more.

I think a good comparison would be W12 is similar to Jim Beam black in the JB line. It’s an extra aged offering of their basic product, it’s not like it’s Booker’s/Baker’s or something where they’re selective on barrels, change the filtration and proof.  Just extra aged.  Nothing justifies it being a $100+ bottle, other than BT unable to keep up with demand or possibly creating artificial scarcity.  

I think a good Makers Private Select or even some of the other Makers premium products is going to beat W12 in a blind taste and retail is going to be a lot less than the crazy secondary price.

I tend to agree.  When I do see it the store parades it like a choice selection.  Usually well north of $100 and even $200 for those who think they have to have it.  Honestly I can easily purchase a number of $50 and $60 bottles that are much better.  To me it is kinda like Blantons.  Good but certainly not worth the marketing hype (and price) that goes along with it.  Dean

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.