What Bourbon Are You Drinking Winter 2022-2023?

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

9 hours ago, Clueby said:

Looks like the Blues are getting even (at least so far) tonight.

Around here OGD114 seems to be approximately the same price point around $24ish. I don't go back that far with it, though.

They did do that (and I thought trading Vrana was a mistake, but glad to see he's returning to form).  OGD114 is $30 around here or close to that, but was $22-$23 when it was a regular buy for me.  

• I like it 2

Had another bit of the LR12.  More than any other thing I have tried, it has "grown on me".  I really, really enjoyed it.

Comparing it to Sam Houston 15.  Far less nose on the SH15, night & day.  Similar body, if lighter.  Totally different finish.  More oak, not quite bitter (though I'd have felt otherwise not long ago). Pushed past what I thought I didn't like.  Musty compared to LR12 - and not in a bad way.  I think I prefer the LR12, but I am liking the SH15.  Another bit of change, of something growing on me.  

This is fun.  I'd not have liked either nearly so much a year ago.

Things. Change.

SH15.jpg

• I like it 6

19 hours ago, Thomm said:

Didn't know what to pick, then I "saw" this one lying around. 

IMG_20230323_211835__01.jpg

Good choice, a 'Cut' above the others. 

• I like it 2

Switching it up.  From the "it has oddly grown on me oak" to my origins....finished sweetness.

JMCB.jpg

• I like it 5

Haven’t had this in a while and wow is it hitting all the right notes. 

EA55F742-9AD7-48B7-8020-45AED2BF8783.jpeg

• I like it 10

2 hours ago, markandrex said:

Having a EC 125 proof grenade over an ice ball.  

Got one of those.  Trying it once a local bourbon-loving friend returns to PR.  Looking forward to it.

How was it?

• I like it 1

56 minutes ago, flahute said:

Haven’t had this in a while and wow is it hitting all the right notes. 

EA55F742-9AD7-48B7-8020-45AED2BF8783.jpeg

BT#1 amped up.  My #2 pick of BT#1 after Grand Master George T. Stagg.  Oh, the days when we could grab a CEHT for $40, Single Barrel for $60, and BP for $70.

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

BT#1 amped up.  My #2 pick of BT#1 after Grand Master George T. Stagg.  Oh, the days when we could grab a CEHT for $40, Single Barrel for $60, and BP for $70.

Yep...........sighhhhhhhh..........

• I like it 3

16 hours ago, Anwalt said:

Got one of those.  Trying it once a local bourbon-loving friend returns to PR.  Looking forward to it.

How was it?

I have had and still have guite a few of these.  There is some variance in them.

First off, they tend to open hot.  I like to give it a week of so of letting it breathe a few times to let off some of the ethanol tones.

It I is a nice pour.  Carmel, char and leather on the nose.

The palate has vanilla with some of the typical HH “nuttiness”.  
The finish adds in some chocolate, almost like a liquid baby Ruth bar, and the heat is definitely present.

Edited by markandrex
Spelling
  • I like it 2

On 3/24/2023 at 5:39 PM, Anwalt said:

Had another bit of the LR12.  More than any other thing I have tried, it has "grown on me".  I really, really enjoyed it.

Comparing it to Sam Houston 15.  Far less nose on the SH15, night & day.  Similar body, if lighter.  Totally different finish.  More oak, not quite bitter (though I'd have felt otherwise not long ago). Pushed past what I thought I didn't like.  Musty compared to LR12 - and not in a bad way.  I think I prefer the LR12, but I am liking the SH15.  Another bit of change, of something growing on me.  

This is fun.  I'd not have liked either nearly so much a year ago.

Things. Change.

SH15.jpg

What in the Sam Houston?  Sorry, I just couldn't resist!  

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 1

On 3/24/2023 at 6:14 PM, Anwalt said:

Switching it up.  From the "it has oddly grown on me oak" to my origins....finished sweetness.

JMCB.jpg

Several drinking vessels in this picture.  I assume you just went for "straight from the bottle." 

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Several drinking vessels in this picture.  I assume you just went for "straight from the bottle." 

Then the dancing starts.

• I like it 2

21 hours ago, markandrex said:

I have had and still have guite a few of these.  There is some variance in them.

First off, they tend to open hot.  I like to give it a week of so of letting it breathe a few times to let off some of the ethanol tones.

It I is a nice pour.  Carmel, char and leather on the nose.

The palate has vanilla with some of the typical HH “nuttiness”.  
The finish adds in some chocolate, almost like a liquid baby Ruth bar, and the heat is definitely present.

That finish sounds glorious.  And thanks for the tip on letting it breathe, will do.

13 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Indeed.  But with a straw.  Hygiene & whatnot.  Classy too!

13 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

What in the Sam Houston?  Sorry, I just couldn't resist! 

I hear ya.  I have two.  One was bought in my pre SB days at Costco, and the other a gift from a client.  Sat on them for awhile.  Noted some positive comments "out there" and figured I'd try it.  I have not researched the pedigree.

I have two main drinking buddies here in PR. One is The Man from Kentucky (blessed are they, from God's country, bearing libation) and the other my martial arts instructor.  The latter likes low proof sippy things.  Before, during, and after practice, in fact.

Took a rye and EC 94 proof private barrel over.  That thing was so sweet and so smooth. Easy to sip, lots of flavor, not super complex, very nice finish.  I like it a lot.  As did he.  It was up there with Blanton's Black and Red Spot 15 in his book.

Always keep the man who can kill you with his bare hands happy says I.

EC Private 94p.jpg

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.