Red Hook rye

Obree
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Almost fell from my chair when I saw this. Came across an auction I generally follow to sometimes score bourbons we can hardly get over here in Europe. they have a Red Hook Rye up for auction, starting bid 21.000 EURO. They expect it to sell at between 24.000 and 30.000 EURO, about the same in USD these days! I will not be bidding😆

https://www.gobourbon.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/IMG_1354-3-696x522.jpg

Edited by Obree
  • I like it 1

Ouch.

I have not followed the Dutch auctions.  The UK ones I see tend to have bids that sell for the same amount, right down to the penny.  With end prices being well into secondary market range.

18 hours ago, Obree said:

Almost fell from my chair when I saw this. Came across an auction I generally follow to sometimes score bourbons we can hardly get over here in Europe. they have a Red Hook Rye up for auction, starting bid 21.000 EURO. They expect it to sell at between 24.000 and 30.000 EURO, about the same in USD these days! I will not be bidding😆

https://www.gobourbon.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/IMG_1354-3-696x522.jpg

It has sold for that in the past.

Having tasted it I can tell you it's one of the best whiskies I've ever had. Would never pay that for a bottle however!

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, flahute said:

It has sold for that in the past.

Having tasted it I can tell you it's one of the best whiskies I've ever had. Would never pay that for a bottle however!

I believe I've heard the story of that tasting. And it made me laugh pretty hard. Please tell it again.

• I like it 1

3 minutes ago, Mattk said:

I believe I've heard the story of that tasting. And it made me laugh pretty hard. Please tell it again.

The story about the busted cork?

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, flahute said:

The story about the busted cork?

Yes.  Is terrible. But amazingly awesome and real. Therefore very funny. I laughed and learned.

• I like it 1

Amazing it would get sold at prices like that. The starting bid on ths one was not met, guess we will have another go.....Please do share the story!

I tried to find my original post on this because there are two broken cork incidents under almost identical circumstances and we solved it differently each time base on the items we had on hand.

I think I remember this one so here goes:

I'm in a group called the Bourbon Crusaders and in addition to being a social club that picks barrels we also are a 501c3 non profit that organizes a charity auction every year. This happened at our very first one. It. was the year after Jim Rutledge retired from Four Roses and it was his 50th year in the industry and since 4R wasn't. doing anything to honor that milestone we decided to. In order to make it worthwhile for someone to buy a "gold ticket" (VIP) we needed to have some great bottles to pour for them. Red Hook Rye was one of them and nobody thought to be prepared. The event was at Mint Julep Tours (now called Mint on Mellwood) in Louisville. As we were opening bottles for the VIPs it happened - the LeNell's cork broke. We found a wine opener and tried to extract it but it was a crumbler so now the whiskey was full of cork bits. We panicked! We had Jim and other VIPs gathering for pours. We went into the little kitchen at the facility hoping that they had some kind of mesh filter. No luck. Looking around I saw it - a French Press coffee maker! We made sure it was clean and then very slowly poured out the whiskey over the top of the filter and into the carafe. Had to go slow so as not to overflow. Once we had collected all the cork bits on the filter, we rinsed out the bottle thoroughly and then because there were no funnels we had to again very slowly pour the whiskey back into the bottle.

Crisis averted! We got the bottle back over to the VIP table just in time.

• I like it 8

On 1/2/2023 at 2:06 AM, flahute said:

I tried to find my original post on this because there are two broken cork incidents under almost identical circumstances and we solved it differently each time base on the items we had on hand.

I think I remember this one so here goes:

I'm in a group called the Bourbon Crusaders and in addition to being a social club that picks barrels we also are a 501c3 non profit that organizes a charity auction every year. This happened at our very first one. It. was the year after Jim Rutledge retired from Four Roses and it was his 50th year in the industry and since 4R wasn't. doing anything to honor that milestone we decided to. In order to make it worthwhile for someone to buy a "gold ticket" (VIP) we needed to have some great bottles to pour for them. Red Hook Rye was one of them and nobody thought to be prepared. The event was at Mint Julep Tours (now called Mint on Mellwood) in Louisville. As we were opening bottles for the VIPs it happened - the LeNell's cork broke. We found a wine opener and tried to extract it but it was a crumbler so now the whiskey was full of cork bits. We panicked! We had Jim and other VIPs gathering for pours. We went into the little kitchen at the facility hoping that they had some kind of mesh filter. No luck. Looking around I saw it - a French Press coffee maker! We made sure it was clean and then very slowly poured out the whiskey over the top of the filter and into the carafe. Had to go slow so as not to overflow. Once we had collected all the cork bits on the filter, we rinsed out the bottle thoroughly and then because there were no funnels we had to again very slowly pour the whiskey back into the bottle.

Crisis averted! We got the bottle back over to the VIP table just in time.

Fantastic story! thanks!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.