What rye are you drinking/ purchased 2023

Mattk

Guess im posting a lot here lately. But I just had the chance to try the maryland heritage collection sib ryes. At a place known as the fountain. Its my new favorite bar. I also had a taste of the 2022 saz 18. But I digress. They do carryout. So I find myself at home on a nice Saturday evening with 8 half oz pours of what may be the best LDI flight I can imagine.

20230325_193012.jpg

• I like it 5

1 hour ago, Mattk said:

Guess im posting a lot here lately. But I just had the chance to try the maryland heritage collection sib ryes. At a place known as the fountain. Its my new favorite bar. I also had a taste of the 2022 saz 18. But I digress. They do carryout. So I find myself at home on a nice Saturday evening with 8 half oz pours of what may be the best LDI flight I can imagine.

20230325_193012.jpg

"The Fountain?"

At Drug City?   Love that place!

My sister in law lives 5 minutes from there.

22 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

"The Fountain?"

At Drug City?   Love that place!

My sister in law lives 5 minutes from there.

Yup.

• I like it 1

On 3/18/2023 at 11:27 PM, Kepler said:

So it's MGP rye.  However aged quite well at 14 years.

Haha, good catch.  After 3 pours of WT101, all I read was "blah, blah, blah." 😀

On 3/20/2023 at 4:46 PM, Dean E said:

Not much of a fan of the ryes but one exception is the Knob Creek Single Barrel Rye.  It's got that sweet caramel taste up from like other Knob Creeks but you get the spicy rye note on the back of the finish.  A great sipper.  At 115 proof it is great for those cold nights.  Dean

I am good with KC Rye 100 proof.  It is a great smack your ass in the face rye.  Rough around the edges.  Have a pour and put on some rock.  Finish pour, repeat.  Time for bed.

23 hours ago, Thomm said:

Funny, I just read this conversation this afternoon.  During tonight's trip to the liquor store, as I was browsing the "really good stuff" shelf, I came up on a wooden box that said LS&B 21.  I thought, 'Hey, that's the stuff those guys were talking about!'  The price--$449. I guess that qualifies for my What Did You Pass On Today entry. 

Car payment? whiskey? car payment?  F..k it, whiskey and car payment.  Just opting for the $20 bottle of whiskey. 

34 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I love the whiskey,  but hate that JD stooped to those 700ml bottles. 

20230325_211722.jpg

I see the price anywhere from $29.99 to $46.99 at comparable retailers.  WTF?

24 minutes ago, hughewil said:

Tonight’s pours 667A2102-78B9-4345-BD47-9F3A2DBCDDA1.thumb.jpeg.b2660b4342f7391a5b4ffb3773d26c10.jpegA6A432D3-07F5-4852-9AD7-B4D2F66716D5.thumb.jpeg.b967e971138f8fe412215198c49ce459.jpeg

Dude, you have a mad crazy bar.  I have seen mixed reviews on the Alberta CS Rye. I occasionally see a bottle between $63.99 to $69.99.  Does it pass the HugheWil stamp of approval?  I know everyone's YMMV but is it worth 3X WTR101 or even 1.5x Pikesville.  I absolutely love the old Jefferson's 10 year rye and WhistlePig 10 when they came from the Alberta Distillery.  Is this the same magic potion?

• I like it 1

5 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Dude, you have a mad crazy bar.  I have seen mixed reviews on the Alberta CS Rye. I occasionally see a bottle between $63.99 to $69.99.  Does it pass the HugheWil stamp of approval?  I know everyone's YMMV but is it worth 3X WTR101 or even 1.5x Pikesville.  I absolutely love the old Jefferson's 10 year rye and WhistlePig 10 when they came from the Alberta Distillery.  Is this the same magic potion?

If you like WP10 then yes.

pretty close profile with much higher proof and cheaper.  It drinks easier than it's proof as well.  It's an excellent bottle.

Edited by hughewil
  • I like it 1

5 minutes ago, hughewil said:

pretty close profile with much higher proof and cheaper.  It drinks easier than it's proof as well.  It's an excellent bottle.

Copy captain!  It is cheaper than the current WP10.  Thank you!  If and when I see another bottle on the shelf, which has been more often recently than one might expect, I will grab it.  Being a cheap bastard has served me well but it also has its opportunity costs.

• I like it 1

41 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

I see the price anywhere from $29.99 to $46.99 at comparable retailers.  WTF?

Agreed.

It's good, but not.$46.00, or $40.00 or even $35.00 good.  

• I like it 1

I noticed that Old Forester Rye has started to reappear at some local retailers.  I felt confident enough to crack open one of my two bottles bunkered away.  I love this stuff, reminds me a lot of the earliest batches of OF Signature. 🤩

Also, I saw online, a local finally got Roulette Rye (4 year 100 proof MGP).  I'll be grabbing that too, when I can.

• I like it 3

I would like to try this lined up against a barely legal 51% and a 95/5.  I liked it.  Enough spice to be rye, but smoothed out a bit.

JD Rye SiB.jpg

• I like it 2

21 hours ago, Anwalt said:

I would like to try this lined up against a barely legal 51% and a 95/5.  I liked it.  Enough spice to be rye, but smoothed out a bit.

JD Rye SiB.jpg

My wife likes the JD SiB rye.  She says it leaves her mouth feeling clean

• I like it 1

The OF Rye was not to be found at my one stop today.

They did have Roulette Rye, that I'm enjoying now.  If you like the any of the various bottlings of MGP 95% out there, well this seems like one of the better ones to me.  This is a step up from the Bulleit or Dickel versions (that I think are decent).  At 100 proof, there's just a lot more going on here, in a good way.  Maybe also some credit due to the people managing the barrels.

• I like it 2

On 3/28/2023 at 11:59 PM, PaulO said:

They did have Roulette Rye, that I'm enjoying now.  If you like the any of the various bottlings of MGP 95% out there, well this seems like one of the better ones to me.  This is a step up from the Bulleit or Dickel versions (that I think are decent).  At 100 proof, there's just a lot more going on here, in a good way.  Maybe also some credit due to the people managing the barrels.

Of 100r has been back in maryland for a bit now. Hope it finds its way out yours soon.

• I like it 1

Picked up the Daniel’s Single Barrel Rye today.  Sipping it now and it really is a palate opener.  Very grassy, with pleasing notes of fresh cut hay.  Gives it a nice and fresh brightness.  Wonderful stuff.  Underneath though, buried under the brightness is a smoldering “from the kitchen spice rack” spice note that I can’t put my finger on, just yet.  It wafts in just past mid palate and lingers on towards the finish.  This note really gives the pour some depth and heartiness that balances out and polishes up the brightness.  A very well done whiskey, that I find extremely enjoyable.  Really looking forward to exploring this bottle more.  I anticipate eventually identifying that smoldering spice note. While the grassy notes are the eye catcher here, that underlying spice note pulls this rye together so well for me.  

C399248B-0E7C-4E29-B6A6-8D9C6E37B9B8.jpeg

• I like it 4

Followed a very solid pour of FR OBSK with a couple of pours of Baby Saz.  Normally, I like to start with lower proof whiskeys and move to higher proof whiskeys.  However, tonight played out different.  Normally, I find Baby Saz to be an average rye whiskey.  However, tonight it is holding its own.  A very solid spicy whiskey even at 90 proof.  While not my favorite rye whiskey, it certainly holds it weight.  It would be a more regular pour if it were more regularly available.  

• I like it 2

On 3/28/2023 at 10:59 PM, PaulO said:

Okay, you've piqued my interest. That splashy, colorful bottle keeps jumping out at me, screaming, "Try me already!" I think this will be my belated Friday purchase.  It comes recommended by a trusted source, and I can even maintain some cheap bastard street cred to boot.

On 3/26/2023 at 12:25 AM, PaulO said:

I noticed that Old Forester Rye has started to reappear at some local retailers.  I felt confident enough to crack open one of my two bottles bunkered away.  I love this stuff, reminds me a lot of the earliest batches of OF Signature. 🤩

Also, I saw online, a local finally got Roulette Rye (4 year 100 proof MGP).  I'll be grabbing that too, when I can.

On 3/28/2023 at 11:59 PM, PaulO said:

I saw a few bottles of OF Rye today.  I haven't seen Roulette Rye.  I will have to do a little more hunting.  4 year old MGP @100 proof with your seal of approval is all I need to know.

I had a few hours to kill today while my wife was at an appointment.  After stopping at Home Depot, I visited a few liquor retailers. I was looking for a solid rye whiskey.

Ran across WTRB Rye @ a great price.  Pass.  KC Rye SB @ a great price.  Pass.  OF100 Rye @ a great price.  Pass.  RR6 @ a great price.  Pass.

WTR101 @ a great price.  Bought.

I will eventually pick up some of the bottles that were passed on today as all are great whiskeys and available at great prices in today's market.  However, today I was looking for something at a reasonable price that I knew would kick my ass with the rough around the edges rye profile. 

Mission accomplished.  Bottle opened.  Watching the Final Four.  The first game was awesome!  The rye whiskey is awesome!

• I like it 2

Special thanks to @PaulOfor the inadvertent recommendation. Enjoying an ounce neat just to sample.  Tomorrow I will definitely be trying this in a Manhattan. Definitely a vastly different (and spicier) animal than the lower rye percentage ryes I am more familiar with. Pretty easy on the budget, too, at 21 bucks.

IMG_20230401_222810.jpg

• I like it 2