Empty Bottle(s) Support Group for 2023:

Been working on this one for a few years.  I found it to be very enjoyable in the sense of sleuthing out subtle flavors and taking time to enjoy the nuances of the pour.  What does it taste like?   A cousin to Eagle Rare 10 with some Weller 12 blended in might be a good analogy for starters…nice red fruits and some slight pistachios perhaps 🤷🏻‍♂️.

Anyway, onwards into the future!

Goodbye friend.

29DD2CDA-FE03-43F7-9F42-1CACE39093E5.jpeg

• I like it 14

Some here may remember drinking many bottles of this at the Gazebo in the 2005 thru 2010 period. I opened this one for my daughter's wedding in November.EmptyLotBsmall.jpg.b2f1c3d7af60bdb02ad991e538a602a5.jpg

• I like it 10

23 minutes ago, doubleblank said:

Some here may remember drinking many bottles of this at the Gazebo in the 2005 thru 2010 period. I opened this one for my daughter's wedding in November.EmptyLotBsmall.jpg.b2f1c3d7af60bdb02ad991e538a602a5.jpg

Ahhhh, the Van Blankle!  😍

• I like it 3

2 hours ago, doubleblank said:

How many does this leave? A nice reward for being so far ahead of the barrel pick trend for sure.

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, RT Fan said:

“My that’s a big one..” a 1.75 of Woodford heading to the recycle bin,

0538C72D-D120-4D9A-8F59-4CA6E5C907E2.jpeg

Sorry for your loss.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, flahute said:

The final empties from the holiday break. 

That's a mighty fine run.

8 hours ago, Grady330 said:

Sorry for your loss.

Thanks Grady I was thinking someone would catch the ”Dirty Harry” reference.😁

On 1/7/2023 at 12:42 PM, Jazz June said:

How many does this leave? A nice reward for being so far ahead of the barrel pick trend for sure.

It produced 17 cases of 12 bottles. 3 bottles left.

• I like it 4

The Boy (he who graduated) is visiting in PR for a bit before "adulting".  I saved a few bottles that were near-done to enjoy together.

This RR SiB store pick was very, very good, even by RR SiB standards.  I shall wear black for awhile.  Like Johnny Cash, if not for the same reasons.

RR 1.jpg

RR 2.jpg

• I like it 6

AAA 10 Yr gave up its last breath tonight after work.  Sort of a celebratory pour, as this was the best day I’ve had at work since 2023 started.  🥳

The AAA 10 year was one of those great and cheap glut era bourbons that is hard to imagine even existed, when you think about it.  
As the bottle got towards the end (which I extended longer than should have, because I hate to put such wonderful and not easily replaced bottles down) it did tend to get a tad on the dry/worn out, side.  But ice or water rejuvenated it every time, like magic.  And, a clear ice cube did it again, tonight.  

E1034479-3819-4B1D-A738-1A4D5C2C60EB.jpeg

• I like it 9

On 1/9/2023 at 9:22 AM, doubleblank said:

It produced 17 cases of 12 bottles. 3 bottles left.

Holy Toledo Batman!!! That's a HUGE yield for a barrel at 12yrs!!! If my math is correct you got over 75% of the barrel which is really a low evaporation rate, but hell I could be way wrong (but from several barrel picks over the years probably not too far off). 

• I like it 1

48 minutes ago, FacePlant said:

Holy Toledo Batman!!! That's a HUGE yield for a barrel at 12yrs!!! If my math is correct you got over 75% of the barrel which is really a low evaporation rate, but hell I could be way wrong (but from several barrel picks over the years probably not too far off). 

It’s proofed down to 90.4, that gets you a lot more bottles.

2 hours ago, Jazz June said:

It’s proofed down to 90.4, that gets you a lot more bottles.

Yes that's true so my evaporation quote is off but still over 200 bottles per barrel is huge especially for 12yr. 

Out to the bin last night.

Very much enjoyed each of these. The BT and MM101 went quick once they were opened. The 1792 FP I sipped on for a few months, as I've found it likes a little time and air.

IMG_4269.jpg

• I like it 7

We finished up this one earlier this week. It was good, bordering on very good. We found a few bottles of this early in the summer at one of our relatively local stores for $42. The local distributor must have gotten a fair number of cases of this because we were able to score a bottle every time we stopped by for the next 2 months. We were in there just before Christmas and they are now $69 a piece. I'm glad I stocked up at 42.

20230113_171140.jpg

• I like it 6

And some bourbons.

The OWA did half duty in my home blend with W12.

The 4RYL was mostly a freezer bottle this past summer.

20230114_165025.thumb.jpg.35a41b68c9427ead78bcf2943f881958.jpg

• I like it 4

Finished off a  Stagg Jr.  Air time definitely helped this bottle. When opened,  it was hot and confused. But with time & air, a third of the way into it, thankfully the bottle turned around. 

Cheers

• I like it 3

7 hours ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Finished off a  Stagg Jr.  Air time definitely helped this bottle. When opened,  it was hot and confused. But with time & air, a third of the way into it, thankfully the bottle turned around. 

Cheers

That seems to be the case with a lot of bottles, especially the higher proof ones.  I've learned to give them a chance after opening them and letting them sit for a spell.

I've half a mind (insert snarky comments <here>) to run the first pour of higher proof bottles through a wine aerator...just to see what comes of it.

This one went down last night.  I’ve obviously held onto it for a while. The current version doesn’t hold a candle to these Perkins era bottles.  I opened this with a couple of other last weekend to celebrate a friends success over cancer round three.  It went fast.  No more the búnker unfortunately. 

0CA60C84-6797-4146-83C8-362B5C2B153D.jpeg

• I like it 6

29 minutes ago, BigRich said:

opened this with a couple of other last weekend to celebrate a friends success over cancer round three.

Good to hear!  News like that makes the whiskey even better.