Kentucky Owl The Wiseman Straight Bourbon

PhantomLamb
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Has anyone tried this yet, if so, thoughts?

I’ve passed on it several times now and not sure if $50 is worth it. They also have Rye.

Thanks

20 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

Has anyone tried this yet, if so, thoughts?

I’ve passed on it several times now and not sure if $50 is worth it. They also have Rye.

Thanks

I haven't tried it but several reviews I've read say it's meh and not worth $50.  Seems like KO consistently prices their products at twice what they should be.  The only KO product I've ever bought was the batch 1 rye, which was great and, IMO, worth the $125-$130 price tag.  But the price increased significantly for subsequent releases that were not reported to be as good as the first.  The current batch 4, reportedly the last batch to be released, is $300 at Total Wine...

Edited by fosmith
  • I like it 2

KO bottles whiskey they source from whoever makes it.  There's really not much useful information on the label.  Also, I notice plenty on shelves, even the grocery stores.

As it is, I can't justify forking over the $$.  So many better options.

My $.02

• I like it 2

Good to know, I figured as much. Maybe this is an attempt to stay relevant since they are on their last batch release.

A while back, they announced plans to build their own production facility, and start distilling.  The building plans presented were a group of wooden pyramids.  It seemed to me like one of those April Fools Day prank stories at the time. 😜 

Keeping it real - whiskey sourced from one of the legacy distillers is probably at least OK, but you might be paying a substantial mark up to the middle man.

On 1/15/2023 at 11:42 PM, PaulO said:

A while back, they announced plans to build their own production facility, and start distilling.  The building plans presented were a group of wooden pyramids.  It seemed to me like one of those April Fools Day prank stories at the time. 😜 

Keeping it real - whiskey sourced from one of the legacy distillers is probably at least OK, but you might be paying a substantial mark up to the middle man.

Good to know, some transparency would be nice but I understand that doesn't always sell either.

According to press releases, they did this in collaboration with Bardstown Bourbon Company, so most of the whiskey probably comes from there. It does mention some added 8.5 year old bourbon, which might be too old to be from BBC. Given the Bardstown location, I'd guess Heaven Hill or Barton for older sourced bourbon. In any event, I'd buy the new Origin Series releases if I wanted to taste Bardstown Bourbon's 6 year distillate or Elijah Craig SmB if I wanted a good, reasonably priced and proofed bourbon from Bardstown.

• I like it 3

On 1/18/2023 at 8:35 PM, Jazz June said:

According to press releases, they did this in collaboration with Bardstown Bourbon Company, so most of the whiskey probably comes from there. It does mention some added 8.5 year old bourbon, which might be too old to be from BBC. Given the Bardstown location, I'd guess Heaven Hill or Barton for older sourced bourbon. In any event, I'd buy the new Origin Series releases if I wanted to taste Bardstown Bourbon's 6 year distillate or Elijah Craig SmB if I wanted a good, reasonably priced and proofed bourbon from Bardstown.

BBC's Origin Series is really good.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.