What bourbon did you pass on 2023

Kepler

Everything at Maison du Whiskey.  And likely everything in Paris.  Again (had the same result last time).

Context:  For those who like Blanton's Gold at circa 103 Euros, SFTB at 125 Euros, and W12 at 50 Euros, shopping in France can be rewarding.  MdW is the "go to" place in Paris.  And it is known as such, so those items tend to not last.  They were absent today (their website is fairly up-to-date as to inventory). They had Weller FP, WSR, Schenks, and Handy rye at full secondary prices.  All of the other bourbon & US/Canadian rye that they have is easily obtained in the US at lower prices.

Many liquor stores are closed on Monday.  I am not nearly as familiar with which stores carry what here (as compared some of the other, smaller cities).  I'm also not very motivated to search as I have already acquired more than enough to satisfy me and some friends.  I suspect that there are little places that have Gold, and perhaps SFTB.  W12 is harder to find, it disappears fast.  Regular Blanton's is easy to find at circa 65 to 70 Euros per bottle - a lot of little places that initially appear to have only wine will often have it in a little "whiskey corner", and sometimes some of the others I mentioned as well.  But Paris is also more heavily tatered than the other cities....so there's a lot of work to be done.  Lots of places to search in this huge city, but lots of places are being hit.

Bottom line, between better uses for the time (hang with daughter, get a little work done), that I found plenty elsewhere, and that many shops are closed today, I shall continue to remain fairly ignorant of where to get bourbon in Paris. Perhaps on the next trip...

Edited by Anwalt
  • I like it 3

35 minutes ago, Anwalt said:

Everything at Maison du Whiskey.  And likely everything in Paris.  Again (had the same result last time).

Context:  For those who like Blanton's Gold at circa 103 Euros, SFTB at 125 Euros, and W12 at 50 Euros, shopping in France can be rewarding.  MdW is the "go to" place in Paris.  And it is known as such, so those items tend to not last.  They were absent today (their website is fairly up-to-date as to inventory). They had Weller FP, WSR, Schenks, and Handy rye at full secondary prices.  All of the other bourbon & US/Canadian rye that they have is easily obtained in the US at lower prices.

Many liquor stores are closed on Monday.  I am not nearly as familiar with which stores carry what here (as compared some of the other, smaller cities).  I'm also not very motivated to search as I have already acquired more than enough to satisfy me and some friends.  I suspect that there are little places that have Gold, and perhaps SFTB.  W12 is harder to find, it disappears fast.  Regular Blanton's is easy to find at circa 65 to 70 Euros per bottle - a lot of little places that initially appear to have only wine will often have it in a little "whiskey corner", and sometimes some of the others I mentioned as well.  But Paris is also more heavily tatered than the other cities....so there's a lot of work to be done.  Lots of places to search in this huge city, but lots of places are being hit.

Bottom line, between better uses for the time (hang with daughter, get a little work done), that I found plenty elsewhere, and that many shops are closed today, I shall continue to remain fairly ignorant of where to get bourbon in Paris. Perhaps on the next trip...

Ever see any Bombergers around?

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Grady330 said:

Ever see any Bombergers around?

No.  Though if they have Schenks, one would think they have Bombergers.  Probably at secondary.  I was at the little store (Latin Quarter).  The larger store (Opera House) might have it.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Anwalt said:

No.  Though if they have Schenks, one would think they have Bombergers.  Probably at secondary.  I was at the little store (Latin Quarter).  The larger store (Opera House) might have it.

Yeah, once you said Schenks I immediately thought of Bombergers. Great stuff,  but only once a year up here. 

• I like it 2

CDG Duty Free.

Walked away from the American Whiskey section.  Only Armagnacs they had I've already got.  Sauternes were much more expensive than in Bordeaux.  And I think I've gotten plenty this last month.  

CDG.jpg

• I like it 3

2 hours ago, Anwalt said:

CDG Duty Free.

Walked away from the American Whiskey section.  Only Armagnacs they had I've already got.  Sauternes were much more expensive than in Bordeaux.  And I think I've gotten plenty this last month.  

CDG.jpg

The typical selection at our European airports these days.....

• I like it 1

first trip to the big city in a while, and passed on lots of fairly priced stuff. starting to draw the line, as the collection is reasonably where I want it to be, and just gonna replenish dailies for the most part now. But, old habits die hard, and even though I have some of these, I was tempted by:

JJB- $54

RR 6 yr SiB rye (Bruce- can we get store picks of these?;))

Baby Saz- $31

ECSBBP 10 year store pick- $80

stopped by a local ls to pick up some beer and check out the bourbon selection for new arrivals and saw some ECPB behind the counter. The price was decent @ $75, but it was the B522 batch, so I passed as I already have one. If it would have been the C922 batch I would have jumped on it to have a backup bottle.

• I like it 2

On 3/17/2023 at 10:11 PM, Kepler said:

Passed on KC 18 year for $449.00 😖

Yikes, that’s no good at all.

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

0E0DDE23-CAA2-47B0-B612-D97339C74E80.jpeg

The boxes of LGB trains in the background are arguably more interesting.  :)

Estate sale?

21 minutes ago, 0895 said:

The boxes of LGB trains in the background are arguably more interesting.  :)

Estate sale?

Model Railroad show at a local high school.

https://www.wrex.com/news/annual-rock-river-valley-division-train-show-at-harlem-high-school/article_5cd8025e-cc45-11ed-94c8-c393450fdd66.html

Our grandson wanted to go to the show, so my wife and I took him and his mom there. Our son and granddaughter were taking care of some things for my granddaughters high school soccer team. I knew a little about model railroad stuff from when I was a kid and was into HO cars, and hung out some at a cool hobby shop in Indy. This was crazy though. Two entire gymnasiums full of model railroad items. One was for vendors buying and selling stuff. The other was for huge working displays. One vendor display gave me goosebumps. A guy was a photographer that took pics of trains from all across the country. He had a company make large canvas prints of his pics. Lo and behold, there was a couple of pics of a train my wife and I rode on near Mount Rushmore back in 2012. Below are a couple of my pics of said train. 

1190246E-EDC0-4416-A911-08620650E11C.jpeg

4E0205CC-D8C8-4F67-B9B6-BF066B9DFCA6.jpeg

• I like it 7

17 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Model Railroad show at a local high school.

https://www.wrex.com/news/annual-rock-river-valley-division-train-show-at-harlem-high-school/article_5cd8025e-cc45-11ed-94c8-c393450fdd66.html

Our grandson wanted to go to the show, so my wife and I took him and his mom there. Our son and granddaughter were taking care of some things for my granddaughters high school soccer team. I knew a little about model railroad stuff from when I was a kid and was into HO cars, and hung out some at a cool hobby shop in Indy. This was crazy though. Two entire gymnasiums full of model railroad items. One was for vendors buying and selling stuff. The other was for huge working displays. One vendor display gave me goosebumps. A guy was a photographer that took pics of trains from all across the country. He had a company make large canvas prints of his pics. Lo and behold, there was a couple of pics of a train my wife and I rode on near Mount Rushmore back in 2012. Below are a couple of my pics of said train. 

1190246E-EDC0-4416-A911-08620650E11C.jpeg

4E0205CC-D8C8-4F67-B9B6-BF066B9DFCA6.jpeg

Pretty cool!  Which hobby shop?  Ed Schock's or Tom Metzler's?

Edited by mbroo5880i

• 2 weeks later...

Parker Heritage 20-yr corn whiskey at $1400.  Got a notification from a liquor store and I imagined the store owner chasing me down saying "But it's the best Mellow Corn you will ever have!"

• I like it 7

In a local eatery and saw BTAC Handy and CEHT BP on the bar shelf.  How much? (foolish me!). $56 a shot for Handy, $42 a shot for Taylor.  In Ohio they get them for retail, $100 and $70 respectively.  Settled for the WT101 for $5.50, and got a double!

• I like it 11

7 hours ago, Bret Bret said:

In a local eatery and saw BTAC Handy and CEHT BP on the bar shelf.  How much? (foolish me!). $56 a shot for Handy, $42 a shot for Taylor.  In Ohio they get them for retail, $100 and $70 respectively.  Settled for the WT101 for $5.50, and got a double!

Well played and exactly what I would do.

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, flahute said:

Well played and exactly what I would do.

Yep!  Me, too!

• 2 weeks later...

I passed on Chattanooga High Malt 111.  I plan to go back and pick one up but I am curious what the SB.com community has to say about it.

11 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I passed on Chattanooga High Malt 111.  I plan to go back and pick one up but I am curious what the SB.com community has to say about it.

I succumbed to the hype and bought one recently.  Haven't cracked it yet as there is no room in the house for another open bottle.  Yet.  Dunno if our palates are at all similar but I'll post when I open it.  Looking forward to hearing comments from the rest of the crowd.

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, IamMatt said:

I succumbed to the hype and bought one recently.  Haven't cracked it yet as there is no room in the house for another open bottle.  Yet.  Dunno if our palates are at all similar but I'll post when I open it.  Looking forward to hearing comments from the rest of the crowd.

Sir, if you have room in the house to possess an unopened bottle, you most certainly have room to possess it while opened. Just sayin’….LOL!

• I like it 3