What Bourbon Did You Purchase Winter 2023?

flahute
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Purchased a MM101 for $29 on my way home from a run today. I'm 15min away from opening and drinking.

• I like it 8

4 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Friend, we have so much more in common than our love of bourbon and cheap bastard ways.  I met my wife 40 years ago and we will be celebrating our 36th anniversary later this year as well.  We know what bourbon we like, the value of a dollar, and a good woman when we see one!  Our version of Zen.  Cheers!

How cool is that?

Cheers!!

• I like it 1

This am, ECBP C922 , Woodford Double Oaked and a Calumet 10!!  Wallet is empty!!

• I like it 3

Brought these two home yesterday. We got into the Bardstown pretty far last night. It's pretty good!  The C&K...not so much. :(

20230324_180640.jpg

• I like it 3

2 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Brought these two home yesterday. We got into the Bardstown pretty far last night. It's pretty good!  The C&K...not so much. :(

20230324_180640.jpg

When you say "we got into the Bardstown pretty far last night," does that mean we will be seeing a post in the empty bottle forum soon?  😀

Not that a 24-hour bottle emptying is bad.  But, give it a few days before posting so we won't think the worst.  Well, actually, the worst would be the bottle breaking. 

Oddly the C&K bottle looks less full in this picture. Obviously, this has changed.  

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

When you say "we got into the Bardstown pretty far last night," does that mean we will be seeing a post in the empty bottle forum soon?  😀

Not that a 24-hour bottle emptying is bad.  But, give it a few days before posting so we won't think the worst.  Well, actually, the worst would be the bottle breaking. 

Oddly the C&K bottle looks less full in this picture. Obviously, this has changed.  

I took it to a friend's "bourbon night" but Mrs. Clueby made me open it before I left so she could try it. And then made me pour her another because she indeed did like it. 😜  it's not a bottle kill but there is probably a good 1/3 of it gone.  The C&K isn't much lower than the pic now.

• I like it 4

9 hours ago, Clueby said:

20230324_180640.jpg

They're doing great things at BBC.    If you ever make it to Kentucky, the distillery is worth a visit.  Not sure about the tour, as we didn't take one, but the restaurant is off the charts.   The fried chicken is insanely good.

We toured C&K, not too long before they started releasing whiskey and the distillery is really cool.   The old buildings and grounds are amazing and it was a very interesting, educational and informative tour.  The place is steeped in history.    I'm pulling for them to make good whiskey but, sadly, this doesn't seem to be the case.  Hopefully it'll get better with age.

• I like it 3

On 3/25/2023 at 10:23 PM, Clueby said:

20230324_180640.jpg

When we went to the distillery last year their bourbon was pretty nice.  Sad that it hasn't kept pace.  I know some people either love it or hate it.

• I like it 1

On 3/26/2023 at 8:21 AM, Skinsfan1311 said:

They're doing great things at BBC.    If you ever make it to Kentucky, the distillery is worth a visit.  Not sure about the tour, as we didn't take one, but the restaurant is off the charts.   The fried chicken is insanely good.

We toured C&K, not too long before they started releasing whiskey and the distillery is really cool.   The old buildings and grounds are amazing and it was a very interesting, educational and informative tour.  The place is steeped in history.    I'm pulling for them to make good whiskey but, sadly, this doesn't seem to be the case.  Hopefully it'll get better with age.

When C&K released a couple of bottles last year, one of the higher end stores I visit had a few cases of each wheated bourbon and rye?  The price wasn't great but it wasn't offensive.  However, the reviews were not favorable.  Normally, this store has an open bottle of everything they sale.  When I asked if they had a sample, they told me that it was in such demand that the distributor couldn't sacrifice a bottle for samples. 

From one cheap bastard to another, I told them "well, than I don't think I will sacrifice my money on it."   Sometimes it doesn't take much effort to transition from "cheap bastard" mode to "smart ass" mode.  😀

• I like it 4

11 hours ago, hughewil said:

my bourbon trail haulkyhaul.thumb.jpg.599772ec19b91a196f49b628a96e3308.jpg

WTF?  It is almost like Aaron Rodgers signed with the Browns. 😀😀😀

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 1

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

When C&K released a couple of bottles last year, one of the higher end stores I visit had a few cases of each wheated bourbon and rye?  The price wasn't great but it wasn't offensive.  However, the reviews were not favorable.  Normally, this store has an open bottle of everything they sale.  When I asked if they had a sample, they told me that it was in such demand that the distributor couldn't sacrifice a bottle for samples. 

From one cheap bastard to another, I told them "well, than I don't think I will sacrifice my money on it."   Sometimes it doesn't take much effort to transition from "cheap bastard" mode to "smart ass" mode.  😀

Well played!

I hate it when they try to play me for a fool.

I can't believe that they had the audacity to say that with a straight face. I'm almost embarrassed for them.

You're correct...that transition takes no effort at all.😅

• I like it 4

So much for (1) working down the bunker and (2) finishing bottles on the dining room floor before buying more , a NON-self-imposed moratorium.

Got a blast email last Saturday from a store I visit a lot saying they had a 4R PS but gave no details.  Because their three pickers have NEVER disappointed my palate even with various MM picks, I decided to get a PS if they still had it today.  They did.  OBSK, 9 yrs, 8 mos., 53.4% with a note saying "35% rye mashbill/light spice".  They also had VOB 100 750s @ $17 per.  It's not usually available here, and I love it so got four.  Felt like a pig taking four, but I did leave two on the shelf.  Impulse buy was a Wild Trail 5 yr @ 53+%.  Again, it was a store pick, and I've liked every WTrail bourbon I've had.

I passed on a BUNCH of reasonably priced bourbons even though I haven't seen them in awhile.  Baker's was several deep, for example, and passing it by was tough.  The full OF prohibition era selection also was well-stocked and reasonably priced.  BUT, I'm running out of places to stash the bottles that are "disappearing" from the dining room floor.

• I like it 8

On 3/27/2023 at 9:52 PM, Skinsfan1311 said:

You're correct...that transition takes no effort at all.😅

Oh Good Lord.  Now they are egging one another on.

SMH.

• I like it 2

On 3/25/2023 at 12:43 AM, JakeySnakes said:

Purchased a MM101 for $29 on my way home from a run today. I'm 15min away from opening and drinking.

That is dirt cheap! 

• I like it 3

14 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

So much for (1) working down the bunker and (2) finishing bottles on the dining room floor before buying more , a NON-self-imposed moratorium.

Got a blast email last Saturday from a store I visit a lot saying they had a 4R PS but gave no details.  Because their three pickers have NEVER disappointed my palate even with various MM picks, I decided to get a PS if they still had it today.  They did.  OBSK, 9 yrs, 8 mos., 53.4% with a note saying "35% rye mashbill/light spice".  They also had VOB 100 750s @ $17 per.  It's not usually available here, and I love it so got four.  Felt like a pig taking four, but I did leave two on the shelf.  Impulse buy was a Wild Trail 5 yr @ 53+%.  Again, it was a store pick, and I've liked every WTrail bourbon I've had.

I passed on a BUNCH of reasonably priced bourbons even though I haven't seen them in awhile.  Baker's was several deep, for example, and passing it by was tough.  The full OF prohibition era selection also was well-stocked and reasonably priced.  BUT, I'm running out of places to stash the bottles that are "disappearing" from the dining room floor.

I think I got the same blast email and was tempted but my bunker (albeit limited) is filling up.  I haven't turned to alternate hiding places - yet.   Funny though, I recently picked up some VOB 100 while recently passing through KY.  I like that one and keep my eyes open in this area for it, which is usually a rare find.  You left some on the shelf, so no need to feel bad on that account.

• I like it 1

What a week.  First, that VOB 100 purchase on Tuesday.  Then, yesterday, we went grocery shopping at a local store that also has a huge beer and wine section and JUST opened a distilled spirits department to compete with the new Wegmans down the street.  The spirits selection is hit or miss (mostly miss as they are still figuring out what to stock).  Sitting by itself was one handle of basic BT priced @ $50.  OF COURSE I put it in my cart.

• I like it 4

On 3/28/2023 at 6:47 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

Harry, Harry, Harry...you are so weak, yet so so strong.  If you ever need a hiding place for your whiskey, several of us are here to help you.  Just give us a heads up and we can add your newly purchased bottles to our bunker.  If friends can't help, then why have friends?  My bunker can easily accommodate anything you need to hide.

• I like it 1

On 3/29/2023 at 9:39 AM, TwoFingers said:

I think I got the same blast email and was tempted but my bunker (albeit limited) is filling up.  I haven't turned to alternate hiding places - yet.   Funny though, I recently picked up some VOB 100 while recently passing through KY.  I like that one and keep my eyes open in this area for it, which is usually a rare find.  You left some on the shelf, so no need to feel bad on that account.

Two, Two, Two... the same offer to Harry applies to you!  Send us what you need to hide or store.  We will accept all bottles until we can accept no more.

On 3/29/2023 at 7:11 AM, Anwalt said:

Oh Good Lord.  Now they are egging one another on.

SMH.

C'mon man.  You know how to play the game.  Don't pretend.  Don't make us contact your MIL for an intervention. 

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 1

On 3/28/2023 at 3:47 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

BUT, I'm running out of places to stash the bottles that are "disappearing" from the dining room floor.

Harry needs to sit at the feet of the master...

• I like it 3

15 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Don't make us contact your MIL for an intervention. 

Damn.  Straight for the jugular, this one!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.