BOTM 02/23 Four Roses Small Batch

flahute
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Sorry to miss January - my year end to new year became quite full of unanticipated things despite my plans to have a lot of time off. Back to normal for the time being.

Most of you know that I love a theme with BOTM so it's entirely predictable that I would choose a Four Roses product for February. In fact I chose one last year!

Now it has been a long time since we talked about this very available and affordable offering from one of our favorite distillers. I can't recall seeing this one mentioned much in the what are you drinking thread so I'm wondering what everyone's current thinking is. Out in the bourbon social media world it may as well not exist. The new blood in the hobby doesn't have much use for it. That is fine with me. There is a pool bar across the street from my office that we go to sometimes and while they have a very small bourbon section they have 4RSmB every time and I feel like I'm the only one in on the secret that it's really good and inexpensive. It tastes great every time.

Now I do have to call myself out here because when I went to the bunker to get one out so I could write this post I realized I didn't have one. The Cult is disappointed with me! I did go right out and buy one yesterday and my point above - available and affordable was as true as ever. It's not a remarkable bourbon, just a very steady and consistent one so I wonder if I just take it for granted sometimes while I look for higher proof and bolder flavors. 

Let's hear what y'all think.

• I like it 4

Great choice for BOTM.  It is increasingly rare that a very fine bourbon, at a reasonable price, is widely and consistently available.  (Hopefully your selection of this as BOTM will not negatively affect this fact! 😄)

Coincidentally, I cracked a fresh bottle of this yesterday.  A strong advocacy for this bourbon in my household is the fact that every time I serve it to my wife, she says "Oooh, I like this one.  What is it?"  While she happily drinks bourbon with me regularly, this is one of the few that she remarks on every time we have it.

This bourbon is rock solid and I enjoy it every time I pour it.  Never an "off palate" day with this one.

• I like it 2

I'm a fan.  I don't have one in the cabinet all the time, but when I do, keep pecking away at it.  It's an easy drinker, with this subtle dry flowers sort of aroma going on.  It's not exactly like anything else, in a good way.  

• I like it 2

Truthfully, it is 'My Honey's' bourbon of choice, so if I purchase, that's the reasoning. If I am in a lower proof mode, I have no problem reaching for it. It's just a nice spicey sip!!!

• I like it 1

The small batch was one of my go to bar staples for many years but the Small Batch Select kicked it to the curb for me, at least in my liquor cabinet. I agree out on the town, it’s something that often shows up on menus, even limited ones and those of us in the know, know. Still a solid pour.

• I like it 2

One of my favorite 90 proofers and my wife’s favorite cocktail bourbon. I will happily sip this neat when looking for a lower proof option. Four Roses has so many good flavor elements with their 10 recipes and they are experts at blending them together to make wonderful bourbons. 

• I like it 1

For whatever reason, 4R whiskey has never been in my wheelhouse except,(somewhat surprisingly), the yellow label, which Mrs. Skinsfan loves and is a freezer staple.    I have have a bottle of small batch, that was gifted, years ago.  It's buried in the bunker and, after reading this thread, I dusted it off.   It's about half-full, so I feel like I've given it plenty of chances, but it's been a long time.   I've been drinking more in the sub-100 proof range and, after reading this thread, I'll revisit this one.    I want to like it.  I do!  I do!

• I like it 2

• 3 weeks later...

Great choice and has been a staple here for many, many years. I recall when getting the 10 recipes in SBBP form was attainable and after delving into the individual recipes, I enjoyed Smb even more than ever. It was fun to search out the notes I found in the individual recipes and really reinforces how well integrated the small batch is. For my taste, there was a period back in the mid 2000s where I thought the profile went way off the rails. I didn't say much at the time but then I bought one for a friend on the west coast so, same era as my "off bottles". To my surprise his GF at the time hated it and thought it had gone bad!! I didn't get a pour from that bottle but her description synced up with what I was getting from a now previously much loved expression., WTF??? I left it alone for a couple years and eventually picked up another when my stash had been gone awhile. That batch and subsequent bottles have all been back on profile. I don't know what happened but I am glad it got fixed and except for that weird run a few years ago, 4R Smb has always been a favorite of mine and continues to be, Long live the cult!!

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.