What Foreign Whiskey Are You Drinking 2023

jvd99

Mine as well start a new thread for the new year. For me it's Islaypalooza!  I'm on a kick and scratching an itch as you can see....

IMG_5385.jpeg

Edited by jvd99
  • I like it 2

Killing off a Three Ships 12. Have mentioned this before, a cracking smokey dram from South Africa that's somewhere between a Caol Ila 12 and a Ledaig 10, and priced very reasonably here in the UK. 

20230209_202144.jpg

• I like it 2

26 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Back to Islay....Laphroaig 10yr in the glass...

20230212_155438.jpg

Uh, is it really that cold in your house? You need mittens?  Or, did your dog or cat chew the ends off? Maybe watching hockey - all that ice - done you in.  On thread - dinner and the Super Bowl are still hours away.  Maybe if I switch to 80 proof scotch . . .

• I like it 2

30 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Uh, is it really that cold in your house? You need mittens?  Or, did your dog or cat chew the ends off? Maybe watching hockey - all that ice - done you in.  Onlo thread - dinner and the Super Bowl are still hours away.  Maybe if I switch to 80 proof scotch . . .

😂

Yup!

I'm relegated to the back porch if I want to smoke a cigar.  

I'm pre gaming with lower proof whiskey....the plan is to ramp it up during the game.

But, as they say, "The best laid plans...."

Just cracked this bad-boy.

It was gifted to me, last Christmas.

Lagavulin 16 is my "desert island" whiskey. Indeed,  it's the only Lagavulin that I've ever had, so I'm looking forward to trying the 11 year.

I love Guinness,  and Lagavulin, so what's not to love with this one?20230212_164951.thumb.jpg.c4bda60f6d929e9eaccc84ebe6f79649.jpg

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 3

Never had the Lag 11.  Wife loves the Lag 16 so that's always available.  IIRC, John Glaser's Compass Box puts out a "peat monster" that rivals Bruichladdich's Octomore.  While I was pulling down the 4RSmBSelect for sipping during the Super Bowl earlier today instead of an 80 proof scotch, I spotted a boxed CB Hedonism I'd forgotten about.  So much whisky/whiskey, so little time and such a small liver!:rolleyes:

My cigar smoking is almost nonexistent nowadays; I do have one I may sneak off and enjoy tomorrow depending . . .

Armed Forces Color Guard is marching on.  Going to go get serious for awhile.

• I like it 2

This was a solid whiskey from beginning to this end, tonight.  

2CA99660-AA90-44D7-98EB-AFC19E1DB0BF.jpeg

• I like it 2

On 2/13/2023 at 7:58 PM, smokinjoe said:

This was a solid whiskey from beginning to this end, tonight.  

2CA99660-AA90-44D7-98EB-AFC19E1DB0BF.jpeg

THX for the comment.  I've been disappointed so many times by CR releases that I stopped buying them years ago unless my wife tells me to get (making this example up so she doesn't go nuts if she sees this),  "Why don't you get that nice Crown Royal bottle with the green tassel on it?"  You aren't my wife, but then she doesn't like stuff that WE do.B)

EDIT - Oh, yeah - I may have finished my federal taxes tonight, MAYBE, and since we owe a bunch, I have a month or so to "check" them.  Celebrating that 7 hour marathon of paper shuffling (only to discover that I'm well within the Standard Deduction area dammit) with a hefty pour of Cedar Ridge (Swisher, Iowa) Small Batch BIB Straight Rye whiskey, Release # 2, bottle # 2469.  If more micro distillery releases were THIS good, I'd dip into that market more often.  This one was a Christmas gift from a relative who years ago graduated from the U. of Iowa.  He knows his ryes.

ASIDE - I thought that getting old meant I'd have plenty of medical deductions. 'Tain't so.  But I have to admit, that is a GOOD thing.

Edited by Harry in WashDC

• 2 weeks later...

Irish whiskey tasting last night as part of the Loch & K(e)y Society's "Go Whiskey Week" at Julio's:

Midelton tasting 2023.jpg

From left to right, Jameson's 18, Midelton Very Rare, Redbreast 15, Redbreast L&K Single Barrel Cask Strength, Red Spot, Gold Spot, Blue Spot, and Redbreast 27.  My favorites were the Midelton Very Rare and the "Spots" - wasn't impressed with the Redbreasts (even though everybody else loved them).  Surprised how lively and fruity the Jameson's 18 was, especially for the $$$.  YMMV.  😋

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 7

1 hour ago, GeeTen said:

Irish whiskey tasting last night as part of the Loch & K(e)y Society's "Go Whiskey Week" at Julio's:

Midelton tasting 2023.jpg

From left to right, Jameson's 18, Midelton Very Rare, Redbreast 15, Redbreast L&K Single Barrel Cask Strength, Red Spot, Gold Spot, Blue Spot, and Redbreast 27.  My favorites were the Midelton Very Rare and the "Spots" - wasn't impressed with the Redbreasts (even though everybody else loved them).  Surprised how lively and fruity the Jameson's 18 was, especially for the $$$.  YMMV.  😋

I am thoroughly hooked on the Red Spot.  I've been told to try against the various Red Breasts, so I shall.  Will have to add the Middletons & Jameson's 18 to the list.  Thanks for sharing!

• I like it 1

After my pleasant experience with Bruichladdich's Classic Laddie single malt, I decided to stick with the barley heavy Irish I have on hand.  Wife wants a gin and tonic later so I'm starting early with a 10YO 80 proof IrishAmerican Trading Co. limited release I got though the Irish Whiskey Society of America some time ago.  I've been rationing it so I poured only a measured ounce.  Next up in about a half hour will be a 10YO 92 proof Tyrconnell single malt Madeira Cask finish I got awhile back.  If I keep this one to an ounce, I should be OK for a short G&T later.

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of Kilbeggan single pot still this evening ramping up to St. Patrick’s day.

• I like it 1

Dinner out.  Wife had corned beef and cabbage and a drink the place called an Irish Maid.  Jameson’s, St. Germain, simple syrup, muddled cucumber slice, and a little lemon juice.  I had bangers and mash and a drink it called a Black Velvet - equal parts Guinness and champagne.

For dessert here at home, I’m having several ounces of Writers Tears copper pot still neat in a small old fashioned glass.

• I like it 2

Not many Irish fans tonight on St. Patrick's day?  If I weren't halfway through a dry month I would be posting here all night 😄🍀🇮🇪

Edited by Kepler

Earlier I got carry out from my church's fish fry for the family.  Now I'm having Famous Grouse Smoky Black.

• I like it 1

Last night's dinner - yummo!

St. Patrick's Day Dinner.jpg

Bushmill's 16yr followed by a Guiness Draft Stout.

Then we went out for a few more pints and a little sing-song with The Boys  . . . . .

St. Patrick's Day.jpg

Too bad I don't have a shamrock green Hawaiian shirt, eh?   🤣

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 3

Compass Box “The Spaniard” as an after dinner pour.  

E4F4B3A0-67BC-4602-815A-96B03927BC7E.jpeg

• I like it 4

On 3/21/2023 at 8:22 PM, smokinjoe said:

Compass Box “The Spaniard” as an after dinner pour.  

E4F4B3A0-67BC-4602-815A-96B03927BC7E.jpeg

I dont have this one, how is it?

In honor of International Whisky Day today, I decided to start with a pour of Dalmore King Alexander III. I always enjoy this one because of its complexity in flavor. I think the price on this one has gotten out of hand, but what quality Scotch hasn’t gone up substantially in price the last few years. 

• I like it 2