Super Bowl pour

Jummy D.
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was sitting here sipping and deciding on what I would pour from my Bourbon bar tomorrow for the Super Bowl.  I have unopened bottles of Russel's Reserve, Bardstown Discovery Series #8, Wild Turkey American Spirit, Peerless Double Oaked, Eagle Rare, Blanton's Single Barrel, High West Rendezvous.  My top favorite anytime pours are Old Forester 1920 and Barrel Bourbon 32 and 33. and always have an opened bottle of both as well as some standard standbys .   Help me choose?  What and why.  And by the way, if you reply to this, throw in your pick as to the winner and why.  Thanks, and enjoy.    

• I like it 1

I'm enjoying an ER now. Weighting in at a mere 90pr that would be a good 1st Q starter. :) Welcome to the board Jummy D.

Thanks  FP.   I met a fellow biker 10 or so years ago who was a Kentucky native.  He turned me on to Bourbon and a first buy for me was Eagle Rare.  I found the bottle I have now only a week ago in a back woods Alabama liquor store.  It  is only my second sense it can be hard to find for me.  Sounds like a good plan to begin the game.

The WTRR (especially if it's the Single Barrel, 110-proof) is always a fine pour, IMO.    You could make that the second period pour and contemplate your halftime options while enjoying the game and the pour.   You could celebrate hitting a 'square' at the end of the second quarter by enjoying either of those Barrel Bourbons at halftime.   By the third quarter's start, I'd switch to something more mundane, since all that dip, chips, pizza, wings and sauce have dampened the old palate so much that subtle flavors won't matter.   After that, who cares, eh?   

Hope you enjoy the game, as well as whatever pours you choose.

I think I'll stick with one bottle... an oldie-but-goodie (I trust) Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit 'Fantail' bottle I've been waiting to open for a long time.  Today's the day . . . just because.

• I like it 3

The WTRR is sitting at the end of my Bourbon bar just about asking to be the one to start the enjoyment.  I have been anticipating. tasting this one since I picked it up last week.  While I am a Florida resident and native to Louisiana, I spend a lot of time in Mississippi.  I could not find any of the unopened bottles I listed in the MS Gulf Coast region.  I had tripped to Florida last week for a doctor appointment and managed to find all on my way there.  Thanks for the reply, Rich.  I need to make some Super Bowl bets today.  Any sure thing suggestions out there?   I'm going mostly with prop bets anyone is interested.  

Time will tell if I partake in pours tonight.  The yo-yo weather in Indiana with highs in the 50s then the 30s then the 50s finally caught up with me and my sinuses.  However, at this point, I am planning to partake as we are having company.  I don't believe you can go wrong with any of the bourbons mentioned.  I don't mind mixing pours but do prefer to work up the proof ladder.  Something in the 90 to 100 proof in  the 1st quarter to get started and warmed up. You also want to pace yourself.  I would then look to work up to something in the 100 to 110 proof in the second quarter.  Just enough to numb yourself just in case you accidently catch a glimpse of the half-time show.  Third quarter would be the pour of the night.  Special pour, high proof, whatever.  Depending on how the game goes and how I feel, I might have a smaller pour to finish off the night.  I usually end up with a favorite pour.

This said, I may end up with only a couple of different pours tonight depending on my company's preferences.  We may pop a bottle everyone enjoys and that's what we stick with.  My guess is they will want cocktails not straight bourbon or rye.

I don't know the current prop bets but I do believe Pacheco with rush for more than 50 yards.  I also believe McKinnon have more than 3 receptions and 20 receiving yards.  I also believe Gainwell will score a touchdown.  Not sure it will be the first touchdown of the game.  Eagles will get 3 or more sacks.  Mahomes will throw an interception.  He will also have two or more touchdowns.  I wonder what the prop bets are for Kelce.  They have to be crazy since he is so difficult to stop.

Welcome to the community and enjoy the game!

Edited by mbroo5880i

Pacing is the key, I probably won't have any in the 1st quarter. I'll pour A FRsmBSelect around the second quarter when I start assembling a massive lasagna which should be ready for the second half. After I stuff myself to the brim with that, the higher proof pours of ECBP will have less affect. Rootin for the Eagles tonight.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, jvd99 said:

Pacing is the key, I probably won't have any in the 1st quarter. I'll pour A FRsmBSelect around the second quarter when I start assembling a massive lasagna which should be ready for the second half. After I stuff myself to the brim with that, the higher proof pours of ECBP will have less affect. Rootin for the Eagles tonight.

Hhhhm.  I wasn't going to have anything special.  Game time dictates that I probably wouldn't start before halftime/dinner, anyway.  BUT!  Instead of sipping on a fresh 750 of OGD BIB, I, too, will open a FRSmBSelect.  I keep forgetting I have several on an upper shelf.  After the game, if I'm stioll awake, a sip or so of that new OGD will suffice.

Well, THAT pre-game hiatus sure didn’t last.  4R SmBSelect smelled so good I just had to have some.  Dinner and the Super Bowl are hours away, and I decided not to wait - raining here so . . .  I’m blaming the early start on the Puppy Bowl promos I’m watching.  Ahh, they so CUTE.

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Well, THAT pre-game hiatus sure didn’t last.  4R SmBSelect smelled so good I just had to have some.  Dinner and the Super Bowl are hours away, and I decided not to wait - raining here so . . .  I’m blaming the early start on the Puppy Bowl promos I’m watching.  Ahh, they so CUTE.

I picked up a bottler of the FR SB Select a couple weeks ago.  I have really been enjoying it.  Very easy sipper to go back to for another. Thank for the reply.

5 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Time will tell if I partake in pours tonight.  The yo-yo weather in Indiana with highs in the 50s then the 30s then the 50s finally caught up with me and my sinuses.  However, at this point, I am planning to partake as we are having company.  I don't believe you can go wrong with any of the bourbons mentioned.  I don't mind mixing pours but do prefer to work up the proof ladder.  Something in the 90 to 100 proof in  the 1st quarter to get started and warmed up. You also want to pace yourself.  I would then look to work up to something in the 100 to 110 proof in the second quarter.  Just enough to numb yourself just in case you accidently catch a glimpse of the half-time show.  Third quarter would be the pour of the night.  Special pour, high proof, whatever.  Depending on how the game goes and how I feel, I might have a smaller pour to finish off the night.  I usually end up with a favorite pour.

This said, I may end up with only a couple of different pours tonight depending on my company's preferences.  We may pop a bottle everyone enjoys and that's what we stick with.  My guess is they will want cocktails not straight bourbon or rye.

I don't know the current prop bets but I do believe Pacheco with rush for more than 50 yards.  I also believe McKinnon have more than 3 receptions and 20 receiving yards.  I also believe Gainwell will score a touchdown.  Not sure it will be the first touchdown of the game.  Eagles will get 3 or more sacks.  Mahomes will throw an interception.  He will also have two or more touchdowns.  I wonder what the prop bets are for Kelce.  They have to be crazy since he is so difficult to stop.

Welcome to the community and enjoy the game!

I had decided the Eagles were the better bet until the SO and my BESTY put a gris-gris on it deciding the bet was MAHOMES and the Chiefs.  If Reid figures a way to keep Reddick out of the backfield, maybe.  So I laid off (actually put a small wager on the Chief +1.5 so the SO can gloat if they win and haven't told her) a winner.  My prop bets are less than 7.5 punts, 1st half total score under 24.5, more than 2.5 players will throw a pass and Mahomes will throw for more than 296.5 yards (eeek!  Not sure on this one).  The sweet spot on this wager was between 288.5 over and under 300.  It fits but is closer to the 300 which I'm uncertain about.  Since I'm not into prop bets, I was shocked to see a "book" with all of them.  Thanks for the welcome and your reply and good luck.  

6 minutes ago, Jummy D. said:

I picked up a bottler of the FR SB Select a couple weeks ago.  I have really been enjoying it.  Very easy sipper to go back to for another. Thank for the reply.

From your earlier posts, it appears you are not all that new to bourbon.  My unsolicited advice to bourbon geeks who are new to StraightBourbon.com follows:

Be sure to spend quality time browsing through the discussion threads here.  Some of the bourbon community luminaries (a fancy word for “famous humans”) have posted here.  The search function works well - just type in a brand, a name (like Cowdery or Veach or Risen) and see what pops up.  Tasting notes?  They everywhere.  Grab a 750 of a fave, glass optional, and wander around - history, other American whiskey, other spirit, etc.  Be prepared to be amazed!

• I like it 2

14 minutes ago, Jummy D. said:

Very cool Harry.  I most certainly will do that.  Thanks.  

What @Harry in WashDC said. Great advice.

Personally,  I'd start with lower ABV pours, and climb the ladder  and finish up with the higher proof pours.

Why?

Because that's what I do😉  

Because I practice what I preach, I'm pre-gaming with scotch, on the lower ABV spectrum, and will walk up the ladder (albeit slowly...it's not a race) with higher proof,  bourbon,  TBD, and finish the night with a spicy,  rye.   Have some pours, that you don't ordinarily drink and ramp up the spice and/or heat as you go.

Skol!!

Edited by Skinsfan1311

Not sure what to pour at gametime, I guess, I'm trying to surprise myself!!!

Anyway, during food prep, a SS RR has kicked things off. Smoker in full swing with a OF 1897 in the glass.

We'll see what's next.

Go Dallas Texans! I mean, Go Chiefs! Wild Turkey in the glass.  The whiskey is to numb Kevin Burkhardt. 

It’s been a fun season. I hope the NFL delivers again. 

23325788-84E6-4975-93E4-184E589CFD0E.jpeg

Late in the game and company left at the end of the third quarter.  The pour of the night was a New Riff Single Barrel Store Pick @ 104 proof.  A decent pour.  Finishing up the fourth quarter with a smaller pour of Backbone Wheat Whiskey Store Pick @ 120 proof.  The Backbone is the winner hands down.

MM818 said it correct; it has been a fun NFL season and especially the playoffs.   One has to admire the fortitude of Mahomes and I was happy for him and Reid.  Thought it was an excellent SB. After all my deliberations, I started off with Four Roses SB Select and finished with a favorite, Old Forester 1920 to up the proof a bit.  I'll grab an unopened bottle on the bar this week to cure the after NFL season blues.  Thanks to all for the replys and all the information.  I'm hoping to trip to Kentucky this spring for a distilliary tour or two and the information provided here will be a great help.  Cheers!!

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.