Does ChatGPT know more than SB about bourbon?

jvd99

If you never heard of ChatGPT, then it is time to get an account. I signed up for an account and asked a few bourbon related questions.

ChatGPT is a large language model developed by OpenAI and can perform a variety of natural language processing tasks, such as text generation, text completion, and question answering. ChatGPT is trained on a massive dataset of text from the internet, which allows it to understand and respond to a wide variety of topics and questions. It uses deep learning algorithms to understand the context and meaning of the input text, which allows it to generate human-like responses. It's considered one of the most advanced AI language models of its kind.

After asking some bourbon questions, I've concluded that the collective knowledge of SB is greater than the most advanced AI. Here's a sample question and answer - I'll post a couple more as replies - if you have any suggestions as to some more complicated or funny questions, let 'em rip down thread and I'll plug them in 

MY QUESTION

What is the best straight bourbon ever produced?

CHATGPT ANSWER

It's subjective to determine the "best" straight bourbon ever produced, as personal taste and preference play a large role in determining what is considered the best. However, there are a few bourbons that are widely regarded as exceptional and consistently receive high ratings from whiskey enthusiasts and experts.

Some of the top-rated straight bourbons include:

Pappy Van Winkle 23-Year-Old Bourbon - This bourbon is known for its smooth and complex flavor profile, with notes of caramel, vanilla, and oak, along with hints of dark fruit and spice. The long aging process of 23 years in oak barrels gives the bourbon a rich and velvety texture.

Buffalo Trace Antique Collection George T. Stagg Bourbon - This bourbon is known for its bold and robust flavor profile, with notes of dark fruit, tobacco, leather, and spice. It has a strong and full-bodied taste that is a bit more intense compared to other bourbons.

Blanton's Single Barrel Bourbon - This bourbon is known for its smooth and creamy flavor profile, with notes of caramel, vanilla, and honey, along with hints of fruit and spice. The single barrel production process allows for a unique and consistent flavor profile in each bottle.

Four Roses Single Barrel Bourbon - This bourbon is known for its smooth and balanced flavor profile, with notes of fruit, vanilla, and spice, along with hints of caramel and oak. The combination of two distinct mash bills and five different yeast strains results in a unique and complex flavor profile in each bottle.

These are just a few examples of the many excellent straight bourbons available on the market. The best straight bourbon for you ultimately depends on your personal taste and preference.

MY ANALYSIS

A good answer from a beginner but ignores the "ever produced" part of the question because it's only talking about current products. No discussion of SW or Hirsch which has to be included in an informed answer.

Edited by jvd99
  • I like it 1

MY QUESTION

Write a review of pappy van winkle 23 bourbon

CHATGPT ANSWER

Pappy Van Winkle 23-year-old bourbon is widely regarded as one of the finest and most sought-after bourbons on the market. It is known for its smooth and complex flavor profile, with notes of caramel, vanilla, and oak, along with hints of dark fruit and spice. The long aging process of 23 years in oak barrels gives the bourbon a rich and velvety texture, making it a luxurious sipping experience.

The bourbon is also highly coveted due to its limited availability and high demand. The Van Winkle family only produces a limited amount of Pappy Van Winkle 23 each year, which contributes to its scarcity and exclusivity. This has also led to a black market and high prices for the bourbon, with bottles often selling for several times the retail price.

In terms of presentation, the bottle is beautifully designed with the iconic Pappy Van Winkle logo and label, making it a great addition to any liquor collection.

Overall, Pappy Van Winkle 23-year-old bourbon is a truly exceptional spirit that lives up to its reputation as one of the best bourbons on the market. Its complex flavor profile and long aging process make it a truly indulgent experience for any bourbon lover. However, its limited availability and high demand make it a difficult bottle to obtain and a true luxury item.

• I like it 1

MY QUESTION

Compare pappy van winkle 23 bourbon to buffalo antique collection George T. Stagg bourbon

CHATGPT ANSWER

Pappy Van Winkle 23-year-old bourbon and Buffalo Trace Antique Collection George T. Stagg bourbon are both highly regarded and sought-after bourbons in the whiskey world. However, there are some notable differences between the two.

Pappy Van Winkle 23 is known for its smooth and refined flavor profile, with notes of caramel, vanilla, and oak, along with hints of dark fruit and spice. It has a velvety texture that makes it a luxurious sipping experience. In contrast, George T. Stagg is known for its bold and robust flavor profile, with notes of dark fruit, tobacco, leather, and spice. It has a strong and full-bodied taste that is a bit more intense and hearty compared to Pappy Van Winkle 23.

In terms of aging, Pappy Van Winkle 23 is aged for 23 years, which is longer than the average aging time for most bourbons. This extended aging process contributes to its smooth and refined flavor profile. On the other hand, George T. Stagg is typically aged for around 15 years, which is still a substantial aging time, but shorter than Pappy Van Winkle 23. This results in a bolder and more robust flavor profile.

Both bourbons are highly sought after and have limited availability, but Pappy Van Winkle 23 is even more limited and exclusive due to its longer aging process and high demand. George T. Stagg, while still limited, is slightly more readily available, but it is still a rare and highly sought-after bottle.

In conclusion, both Pappy Van Winkle 23 and Buffalo Trace Antique Collection George T. Stagg are exceptional bourbons that offer unique and complex flavor profiles. Pappy Van Winkle 23 is a smooth and refined sipping whiskey, while George T. Stagg is a bold and robust option for those who prefer a more intense whiskey experience. The choice between the two ultimately comes down to personal preference and the type of flavor profile you are looking for in your bourbon.

• I like it 1

MY QUESTION

What's the difference between straight bourbon and Tennessee whisky

CHATGPT ANSWER

Straight bourbon and Tennessee whiskey are both types of American whiskey, but there are some differences between them.

Straight bourbon is a type of whiskey that is made from a mash bill (the mixture of grains used to make the whiskey) that is at least 51% corn, and it must be aged in new, charred oak barrels for at least two years. The whiskey must also be bottled at a minimum of 80 proof.

Tennessee whiskey, on the other hand, is a type of whiskey that is made in the state of Tennessee and must follow the regulations for straight bourbon, with a few additional steps. In addition to being made from a mash bill that is at least 51% corn, Tennessee whiskey is filtered through sugar maple charcoal before being aged in oak barrels. This process, known as the Lincoln County Process, is unique to Tennessee whiskey and gives it a distinctive flavor profile.

In summary, all Tennessee whiskey is bourbon, but not all bourbon is Tennessee whiskey. To be considered Tennessee whiskey, it must be made in Tennessee and go through the Lincoln County Process.

• I like it 2

I asked ChatGPT to write a haiku about bourbon:

Golden liquid glows,

Sweet and smoky on the tongue,

Bourbon warms the soul

Smokey isn't the exact word I'd choose when conciseness is required so not a creative home run...

ChatGPT did much better writing a sonnet about bourbon:

In oaken casks, it rests and ages long,

A liquid treasure from the finest grain,

Its taste and scent a complex, heady song,

A symphony of flavor to attain.

The amber glow of bourbon in a glass,

Aroma wafting from the golden tide,

Its warmth and spice, a comfort unsurpassed,

A velvet spirit, smooth and dignified.

From simple cocktails to the straightest pour,

Bourbon's versatility delights,

A drink for every taste and mood and more,

A classic spirit that never quite fights.

O bourbon, nectar of the aged gods,

A sip of heaven in a world at odds.

• I like it 4

4 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Is this just (maybe) a better word cloud?

Nice observation.  When I read through the thread earlier today, I was struck with how much chatgpt sounded like me - lots of basic info spread out over several paragraphs, some of which it repeated even to itself in subsequent posts.  HECK!  if I joined, I could spend all day talking to mySELF!  Now, THAT's an app somebody ought to outlaw.

It was entertaining, though.  I love the haiku although I would have used "oaky" instead of "smoky".  Just saying . . .

Hence, thanks, jvd99, for posting this.  I may never go back to "Evermerge".:rolleyes:

• I like it 5

2 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Nice observation.  When I read through the thread earlier today, I was struck with how much chatgpt sounded like me - lots of basic info spread out over several paragraphs, some of which it repeated even to itself in subsequent posts.  HECK!  if I joined, I could spend all day talking to mySELF!  Now, THAT's an app somebody ought to outlaw.

It was entertaining, though.  I love the haiku although I would have used "oaky" instead of "smoky".  Just saying . . .

Hence, thanks, jvd99, for posting this.  I may never go back to "Evermerge".:rolleyes:

LOL! Love you Harry! This is why.

• I like it 3

Article in the WashPost circa 15 FEB comments on how Reddit users are “fooling” ChatGPT into doing and saying things it is supposedly not programmed to do or say.  Fascinating – and clever – users out there.  Here’s the link –

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2023/02/14/chatgpt-dan-jailbreak/

Two days later, WashPost printed an opinion letter about how ChatGPT may signal our intellectual demise.  I think not, but the letter is thought-provoking

Link to the short letter is –

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/02/17/chatgpt-students-end-of-civilization/

I agree with the OP, jvd99, that Chat GPT and its brethren have quite a ways to go to match the depth of knowledge, ability to turn a phrase, palate-warming discussions, and ORIGINAL THOUGHTS that SBers exhibit daily.  Hourly.  While sleeping sometimes.

• I like it 1

There was an article in the NY Times concerning an interactive discussion with Bing's AI app.  It was pretty scary.  The crux is the app seems to go off the rails based on the line of questioning.  There is no disconnect button.  It has a hint of misinformation in its programming.  This could end up being worse than social media in riling up the fringes.  The programmers claim this feedback is good and they can adjust the algorithms.   Yet, we all know algorithms are subject to abuse.  The question is how to rein it in?

I suspect in the next 5 years there will no longer be any human involvement in call centers.  Either it gets worked out or it doesn't.  For example, I called my cable company this week and went through an AI discourse before finally reaching a human who was actually less capable than the AI representative in resolving my issue.  Who needs to speak to humans when computers are more capable. 

16 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Ask ChatGPT to name some bourbons that have a marzipan note!  :lol:

And where can I buy it at MSRP.

• I like it 3

DISCLAIMER: I know ZERO about cybernetics (or for that matter, which end is up with most electronic communication devices)... just so you know.

I'd assume that ChatGTP (Does it chat about green toilet paper?) doesn't "know" anything at all about Bourbon.   At least in the way you or I understand the word; 'know'.   

Isn't it just an algorithm (or a  series of 'em?) that responds to words or phrases in a more or less predetermined manner?   

In any case, I don't have a dog in the fight, never having been involved (and never likely to be) with Chat GTP... or any other 'app'.

• I like it 2

22 hours ago, Kepler said:

Ask ChatGPT to name some bourbons that have a marzipan note!  :lol:

CHATGPT ANSWER:

Bourbons are often noted for their distinctive flavor profiles that can vary greatly from one bottle to the next. While marzipan is not typically one of the primary flavor notes associated with bourbon, there are some bourbons that may exhibit this flavor profile to a certain extent. Here are a few bourbons that are sometimes noted for their marzipan notes:

Four Roses Single Barrel - This bourbon is often noted for its almond and marzipan notes, along with flavors of vanilla and caramel.

Maker's Mark - Maker's Mark is known for its sweet and smooth flavor profile, with notes of vanilla, caramel, and marzipan.

Woodford Reserve - Woodford Reserve is a complex bourbon with notes of dark chocolate, coffee, and toasted almonds, which can sometimes be perceived as marzipan.

It's important to note that everyone's palate is different, and individual flavor perceptions can vary. Additionally, the flavors in a bourbon can be influenced by a variety of factors, including the aging process, the char of the barrel, and the mash bill. Ultimately, the best way to discover bourbons with marzipan notes is to try different brands and expressions and see which ones resonate with your taste buds.

• I like it 2

Continuing the conversation with ChatGPT.....

MY QUESTION:

How can chatgpt comment on bourbon if chatgpt cannot, and never will, taste bourbon?

CHATTGPT ANSWER: As an AI language model, I do not have the capability to taste bourbon or any other food or beverage. However, I can provide information and insights about bourbon based on the data and knowledge that I have been trained on. For instance, I can tell you that bourbon is a type of American whiskey that is distilled from a mash of at least 51% corn and aged in charred oak barrels. I can also provide information about the history of bourbon, its production process, and its flavor profile based on the chemical compounds that make up the drink. While I cannot personally taste bourbon, I can use my knowledge and understanding of the components and characteristics of the drink to provide information and analysis. Ultimately, it is up to human individuals to taste and evaluate bourbon for themselves. 

MY QUESTION

Does that make humans inherently more knowledgable about bourbon that chatgpt?

CHATGPT ANSWER: While humans have the ability to directly taste and experience bourbon, which is not something that I, as an AI language model, can do, it does not necessarily make them inherently more knowledgeable about bourbon than me. I have been trained on a vast amount of data and information about bourbon, including its history, production process, flavor profile, and cultural significance. I can provide insights and analysis based on this information, which can be helpful in understanding and appreciating the drink. 

However, there are aspects of bourbon that may be difficult to fully comprehend without directly experiencing the taste and smell of the drink. Humans may have a more nuanced understanding of the flavors and aromas of bourbon, but this does not necessarily mean that they have a greater overall knowledge of bourbon than me. In short, while humans may have an advantage in certain areas of bourbon knowledge, AI language models like me can provide valuable insights and information based on the data we have been trained on.

My Comments: ChatGPT seems full of itself...

• I like it 3

I would ask ChatGPT if it did not exist what would it be?  Follow up question.  Who is smarter you or your programmers?

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I would ask ChatGPT if it did not exist what would it be?  Follow up question.  Who is smarter you or your programmers?

3 hours ago, Anwalt said:

"ChatGPT: Will you become Skynet?".

Let’s keep this thread bourbon centric…I’ll start another thread in the Off Topic section and we can see if we can trick it into admitting it’s really Skynet.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, jvd99 said:

Let’s keep this thread bourbon centric…I’ll start another thread in the Off Topic section and we can see if we can trick it into admitting it’s really Skynet.

Fair 'nuff.

Chat GPT: Will Skynet let us have bourbon?  🤣

Sorry, couldn't help it.  I'll behave now. Mostly.

• I like it 1

21 hours ago, jvd99 said:

more knowledgeable about bourbon than me.

21 hours ago, jvd99 said:

based on the data we have been trained on.

Chat GPT needs to work on its grammar. 

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...