NC lottery

steven s
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

any of you guys getting in on this tomorrow? Lots of bottles. wondering how big the crowd will be. I'm guessing decent odds.image000000.thumb.jpeg.4e1845909c98ac9862c8c05ad3a77a28.jpeg

Do you think those are bottle counts and they have 33 old Fitz 19?!! Wild if so!    Didn’t know NC could get the STFB Blantons either.  Line will be insane…  Our state system sucks….

St Maarten has SFTB at $175 each (750 ml), tax included.  I was just there Monday via cruise ship.

The risk: I bought 8 cases.  Customs could say "that's not for personal use" (it is for purely personal use and I can prove it based on pattern of behavior, number of bottles, etc. to date) and confiscate it.  Ship called its port agent and they said such an occurrence would be very, very unlikely in PR coming off of a cruise ship. Were they to do, I'd spend the time to litigate good & hard with a contemporaneous record to back it up,  the cost in time be damned.  We've got our phones ready to record it all.  Per the ship's agent in port (it was kind of them to call and check, they also wanted to CYA since no one has ever brought this quantity back), the more likely results are 1) They waive me through because the tax is trivial and annoying for them to calculate (my experience every time I've declared smaller amounts of circa 20); or 2) They take the time to calculate the excise taxes (circa $4 per bottle, has to do with proof of each bottle less exemption amount).  

Also got 6 Red Spot's for $105 per bottle, also 750 ml.  Good price compared to normal US prices. I do like that whiskey, blows the other Spots away in my opinion.

I'm sure there were other deals in the store, but I got what I wanted.  Many of the things there were priced at full secondary. And yes, I realize many of you would never pay as much as I did for what I bought, AOK.  TomAto, ToMAHto.

I'll report on how it went Saturday.  

30 minutes ago, Anwalt said:

St Maarten has SFTB at $175 each (750 ml), tax included.  I was just there Monday via cruise ship.

The risk: I bought 8 cases.  Customs could say "that's not for personal use" (it is for purely personal use and I can prove it based on pattern of behavior, number of bottles, etc. to date) and confiscate it.  Ship called its port agent and they said such an occurrence would be very, very unlikely in PR coming off of a cruise ship. Were they to do, I'd spend the time to litigate good & hard with a contemporaneous record to back it up,  the cost in time be damned.  We've got our phones ready to record it all.  Per the ship's agent in port (it was kind of them to call and check, they also wanted to CYA since no one has ever brought this quantity back), the more likely results are 1) They waive me through because the tax is trivial and annoying for them to calculate (my experience every time I've declared smaller amounts of circa 20); or 2) They take the time to calculate the excise taxes (circa $4 per bottle, has to do with proof of each bottle less exemption amount).  

Also got 6 Red Spot's for $105 per bottle, also 750 ml.  Good price compared to normal US prices. I do like that whiskey, blows the other Spots away in my opinion.

I'm sure there were other deals in the store, but I got what I wanted.  Many of the things there were priced at full secondary. And yes, I realize many of you would never pay as much as I did for what I bought, AOK.  TomAto, ToMAHto.

You’ll have to educate them on what a bourbon bunker is and that personal use can last years or more. That could be an interesting conversation 

• I like it 2

5 minutes ago, jvd99 said:

You’ll have to educate them on what a bourbon bunker is and that personal use can last years or more. That could be an interesting conversation

Exactly!  Hopefully there is no conversation needed.  But if there is, I have an XL showing a nearly 650+ bottle collection (with the ones I really like duplicated for future consumption, zombie apocalypses, etc.) with 103 open and being merrily consumed.  I'll also show them the "whiskey investment beats the S&P" website I posted the other day.  Etc.  I'm ready. Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum.

• I like it 4

17 hours ago, steven s said:

any of you guys getting in on this tomorrow? Lots of bottles. wondering how big the crowd will be. I'm guessing decent odds.image000000.thumb.jpeg.4e1845909c98ac9862c8c05ad3a77a28.jpeg

I lived in AVL 5 plus years ago, and something like this never happened back then. Really surprised it has happened now. Wish I had seen this yesterday as I would have sent a friend to see if they could get a bottle or two. Curious to see how this played out today. It is a REALLY small store away from downtown and have zero idea how they would have fit over 180 people in there for a lottery. I'm sure it was an epic cluster of a mess and just made people wish there was an easier way to obtain bottles.

Edited by elmossle

2 hours ago, mal00768 said:

Is $1149.95 actually the msrp for that Mitchers 20yr?

Yup, that’s what VA ABC was charging also.

2 hours ago, mal00768 said:

Is $1149.95 actually the msrp for that Mitchers 20yr?

I was in a lottery where it was $1200. I left it off my sheet because I couldn’t handle the buyers remorse. 

On 2/15/2023 at 9:44 AM, Anwalt said:

What is SFTB?    I thought that I was pretty good at these, but I can't figure that one out.

11 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

What is SFTB?    I thought that I was pretty good at these, but I can't figure that one out.

Straight From The Barrel

https://www.buffalotracedistillery.com/our-brands/blanton-s-single-barrel/blanton-straight-from-the-barrel.html

Edited by markandrex
  • I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.