Bourbons I "Should" Like, But Don't

Davesnothere
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 2/17/2023 at 11:23 PM, Kepler said:

Good topic.  Mine:

Bourbons:  OWA, ER10, RR 10 yr 90 proof, 1792FP

Rye:  various Indiana/95/MGP rye

On 2/19/2023 at 1:41 AM, steven s said:

damn, I love these.

Palates be like...

mine:

Blantons, Larceny/Old Fitz, EHT rye, WDO

I should probably clarify that my approach to this question wasn't really whiskies that I don't like.  It was whiskies that I like, but don't love.  I actually enjoy all the ones I listed on any given night, but I'm not crazy about them the way I feel like I should based on the popularity of these with others.

• I like it 2

I just had a pour of Russel's Reserve 10yr and it inspired me to nominate it to the top of my list for this topic.  To me, it drinks hot, has a thin mouthfeel and doesn't have the complexity that I expect from a bourbon that's spent ten years in barrel.  To me, Eagle Rare blows it out of the water and ER isn't even that great.  ER is a bit thin but you can tell it's spent a decade in oak and has some nice complexity to show for it. 

• I like it 2

On 2/17/2023 at 11:15 PM, Kepler said:

I like the topic for a thread. 

But you find that big of a difference between the Small Batch EHT and the Single Barrel?  To me they are essentially the same but the SiB just has a bit more depth.

I'm not very good with (serious)  tasting notes. But the SiB I'm comparing to the SB has, to me, a nice fruity palette and full mouth feel. By comparison the SB feels thin and with a bit of a sour after taste. 

• I like it 1

On 2/22/2023 at 7:13 PM, fosmith said:

I just had a pour of Russel's Reserve 10yr and it inspired me to nominate it to the top of my list for this topic.  To me, it drinks hot, has a thin mouthfeel and doesn't have the complexity that I expect from a bourbon that's spent ten years in barrel.  To me, Eagle Rare blows it out of the water and ER isn't even that great.  ER is a bit thin but you can tell it's spent a decade in oak and has some nice complexity to show for it. 

Current RR10 is whiskey that was among the first to come off the new still. We all know. they had issues at the beginning of that still. Fearing it wouldn't be good at first I stocked up on it before the transition.

• I like it 1

Put me in the Larceny camp. Tasted it double blind at a HH event at the Bourbon Affair and ranked it the lowest out of 10 and said I didn't even think it was a bourbon. I was not the only one who felt that way.

Gave it another chance and bought a bottle. It became a drain pour.

My group went to HH to do barrel strength barrel pick and we pass on all four barrels.

Three strikes! I'm done.

• I like it 4

Lots of Stagg talk here. I remember that first batch and how bad it was. I solved it by blending with OC8 and it turned it into a really nice pour. After I couldn't get OC8 I used either BT or ER10 like mentioned above. I've been able to turn every bad batch into something good to great. The batches that don't need it are amazing. Consistency is a big problem for BT.

• I like it 4

I paid a hefty premium for a Russell's Reserve 13 year, and while it's good, it's not great.   I tried it side by side with a WTKS recently, and the Kentucky Spirit just hauled off and trounced it.   

• I like it 2

11 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

I paid a hefty premium for a Russell's Reserve 13 year, and while it's good, it's not great.   I tried it side by side with a WTKS recently, and the Kentucky Spirit just hauled off and trounced it.   

Very interesting.  I have not been able to locate a RR13, but it's something I thought I would be willing to overspend my normal budget for a chance to sample.  Any specific characteristics you can point to that put the WTKS over the RR13, or is it just an overall more flavorful experience? 

On 2/28/2023 at 7:48 AM, Jazzhead said:

Can't say I've had much luck lately with anything from Willett.   

I think the four year rye is great.  I haven't had any of their bourbons except the pot still which was just ok. 

• I like it 1

20 hours ago, Thomm said:

Very interesting.  I have not been able to locate a RR13, but it's something I thought I would be willing to overspend my normal budget for a chance to sample.  Any specific characteristics you can point to that put the WTKS over the RR13, or is it just an overall more flavorful experience? 

To be fair,  the WTKS (from warehouse B ) is a true honey barrel,  with all the deep pipe tobacco and leather notes I love about WT,  perfectly balanced and (for me) perfectly proofed.   Don't pass on the RR13 if you can find it -  but in this side by side,  there was no doubt the WTKS was the better pour.   

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, fosmith said:

I think the four year rye is great.  I haven't had any of their bourbons except the pot still which was just ok. 

The rye is the best thing they do, IMO.    I've got a bottle bunkered;  I should open it when space next opens up on my shelf.  

• I like it 2

11 minutes ago, Jazzhead said:

The rye is the best thing they do, IMO.    I've got a bottle bunkered;  I should open it when space next opens up on my shelf.  

Agreed.

• 2 weeks later...

The ones I've tried many times that get many accolades but they don't work for me are Knob Creek, Old Grandad BiB, Old Forester 100, pretty much any Weller except WLW, and most other wheated mashbill bourbons.

Beam and Old Forester stuff are really hit or miss with me.  I'm a big fan of Old Grandad 114 and Old Forester 1920 for example. 

Most wheated mashbill stuff tastes like varnish to my palette...not sure what's up there.  The silver lining with that is I could care less about trying to get a hold of a Weller product. 

• I like it 2

I thought of another - Old Tub.

I generally am a fan of anything bottled in bond, and like some other Beam products, but not Old Tub.  What a disappointment.  Bottom shelf well liquor at 100 proof. 

• I like it 1

There are a few I don't care for, like anything from Towne Branch.  But the one that is at the top of my list is WT 101.  I've tried it, and tried to like it, but to my palate it drinks thin and hot, without a lot of flavor or depth.  I know a lot of guys here swear by it as a daily drinker, but for me, it's a hard NO.

CEHT SB is my favorite.

On 3/10/2023 at 9:33 PM, Bourserker said:

The ones I've tried many times that get many accolades but they don't work for me are Knob Creek, Old Grandad BiB, Old Forester 100, pretty much any Weller except WLW, and most other wheated mashbill bourbons.

Beam and Old Forester stuff are really hit or miss with me.  I'm a big fan of Old Grandad 114 and Old Forester 1920 for example. 

Most wheated mashbill stuff tastes like varnish to my palette...not sure what's up there.  The silver lining with that is I could care less about trying to get a hold of a Weller product. 

I know several people who don't enjoy wheated bourbons, including OWA, WL12, WSR. for the very reason you mention.  They say they have a varnish aftertaste.  I have also heard people say they note a hint of ash in Weller products.  I know there was a brief period toward the end of the previous bottle type when I did but I haven't noticed it in the newer bottles.  Even then, I still enjoyed them.  

I also know people who enjoy OGD BIB but not OGD 114 and people who enjoy some OF products but not others.  

Bourbon is a crazy journey.  Even over time our own preferences change.

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.