Wild Turkey 101 12 Year Limited Edition

Tmild11
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I’m admittedly a bit of a whiskey novice (other than drinking it) and I recently received a bottle of Wild Turkey 101 12 Year Limited Edition from an older co-worker that cleaned out his basement bar. It’s still in the original gold tube it came in never opened. After doing a small amount of research it appears this is a fairly rare bottle? I guess my question is how rare/difficult is it to find and is this something you would open just for the sake of enjoying on a non special occasion? 

Thanks for any help (hopefully the picture shows up)

D166A421-87CB-4CDB-B6EB-D21E9775B744.jpeg

• I like it 3

That bottle likely (if it's been properly stored) has some of the tastiest Bourbon (IMHO) ever to grace a Glencairn.   A special occasion dram? Absolutely!  ENJOY!   You've been gifted a fine pour, Tmild11.

• I like it 5

19 hours ago, Tmild11 said:

I’m admittedly a bit of a whiskey novice (other than drinking it) and I recently received a bottle of Wild Turkey 101 12 Year Limited Edition from an older co-worker that cleaned out his basement bar. It’s still in the original gold tube it came in never opened. After doing a small amount of research it appears this is a fairly rare bottle? I guess my question is how rare/difficult is it to find and is this something you would open just for the sake of enjoying on a non special occasion? 

Thanks for any help (hopefully the picture shows up)

D166A421-87CB-4CDB-B6EB-D21E9775B744.jpeg

A holy grail of Wild Turkey.  Be aware that the cork is very easily broken.

2 hours ago, Special Reserve said:

A holy grail of Wild Turkey.  Be aware that the cork is very easily broken.

Holy grail is the part that kinda scares me lol. Will feel like I’m wasting it by opening just to watch Netflix or something on a random day. Got luckier than I thought, I’ll have to make sure I save it for a special occasion. Would opening it and leaving it in the bottle for a while change anything you know of?

• I like it 1

13 minutes ago, Tmild11 said:

Holy grail is the part that kinda scares me lol. Will feel like I’m wasting it by opening just to watch Netflix or something on a random day. Got luckier than I thought, I’ll have to make sure I save it for a special occasion. Would opening it and leaving it in the bottle for a while change anything you know of?

This is from the early 90's and is a really good pour. Special occasion sure but it's also good to sip watching Netflix if you want.

A hazardous material that requires special disposal. I happen to be licensed for such disposal and as you are a member of this illustrious group, I’ll extend you a very special and limited time offer. Ship the offending material to me and I’ll dispose of properly. I’ll even offer to cover the shipping cost.

58 minutes ago, Kjbarth said:

A hazardous material that requires special disposal. I happen to be licensed for such disposal and as you are a member of this illustrious group, I’ll extend you a very special and limited time offer. Ship the offending material to me and I’ll dispose of properly. I’ll even offer to cover the shipping cost.

So I should dump it down the drain? I’ll get right on it…

On a serious note, not even the best bottle the old man (who doesn’t drink anymore) has squirreled away in his basement. Says hes had a bottle of Old Ezra 15 101 completely untouched in the wooden case/box with leather straps since the late 70’s. 

• I like it 3

6 hours ago, Tmild11 said:

Would opening it and leaving it in the bottle for a while change anything you know of?

As long as you keep it tightly corked (or sealed in whatever fashion, if the cork takes a powder), and stored away from direct (or even indirect, if possible) sunlight, it should maintain its character for quite a wile.   Keeping your Bourbon in a dark, cool (or at least moderate) temperature with as little variation in temperature & humidity as possible helps as well.   Good Luck!  Enjoy that rare bird!

• I like it 1

Finally mustered up the courage to open this up and wanted to report back on how damn good this actually is. Get oak and spice up front with a strong kick from the 101 proof, but then it finishes crazy smooth. Almost has a cherry Vanilla Coke taste going down. Definitely the best bourbon I’ve ever tried. 

• I like it 10

54 minutes ago, Tmild11 said:

Finally mustered up the courage to open this up and wanted to report back on how damn good this actually is. Get oak and spice up front with a strong kick from the 101 proof, but then it finishes crazy smooth. Almost has a cherry Vanilla Coke taste going down. Definitely the best bourbon I’ve ever tried. 

Have a short pour for me; but, let me know when you're gonna do it, so I can sit and enviously live vicariously while you have "my pour" of that exquisite stuff.   HA!   Thanx in advance, Tmild11!

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.