Booker’s bourbon 1979 question

JimmyPea

I’ve got a bottle (unopened) of booker’s bourbon that has no serial number, just the lot number. I was wondering if this is pre numbering or just skipped. The bottle was a gift from Booker to myself back in 1986-ish, it has a canvas bag and instead of the serial number it has a small seal (ribbon) with a capital “B”.  Bottle is hand signed by Booker and the LOT # C-B-16-79. I remember Mr Noe had a case of these beside his desk and was handing them out. JP

38D15D45-656E-4988-9254-DCEEE7853B24.jpeg

• I like it 3

8 hours ago, JimmyPea said:

I’ve got a bottle (unopened) of booker’s bourbon that has no serial number, just the lot number. I was wondering if this is pre numbering or just skipped. The bottle was a gift from Booker to myself back in 1986-ish, it has a canvas bag and instead of the serial number it has a small seal (ribbon) with a capital “B”.  Bottle is hand signed by Booker and the LOT # C-B-16-79. I remember Mr Noe had a case of these beside his desk and was handing them out. JP

If by lot number you mean the current batch batch numbers such as 2022-03, that numbering system started in late 2013 with 2013-6.  Before that the labels had the type of code that's on your bottle.  In your case "C" would designate the Clermont facility, "B" would mean February and the two sets of numbers would the the day of the month and the year that that batch was barreled.  There were a few batches where the first letter was "B" for the Boston facility.  That numbering system caused some confusion because a few times they barreled two batches on the same day.  So you would find two bottles with the same batch number but different proofs.  Here's a spreadsheet that contains the batch information: 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18u3WufUNv3X2ydfaEVKgMwSn_V9BwpV21mNC8Pkh9XE/htmlview#gid=0

• I like it 4

Wow, that spreadsheet is amazing and extremely helpful and thank you for explaining the batch numbering. My question was more about the "individual numbering". Sincere apologies for any confusion. On my bottle label there is a ribbon/seal and no Individual number. So, I was wondering if that meant it was an early pre-sale bottle or did they just skip around on whether they used numbers or not? That is, did they start labeling batch C-B-16-79 with the ribbon/seal labels, individual numbered labels or did they slap on labels without rhyme or reason? JP

• I like it 1

19 hours ago, JimmyPea said:

Wow, that spreadsheet is amazing and extremely helpful and thank you for explaining the batch numbering. My question was more about the "individual numbering". Sincere apologies for any confusion. On my bottle label there is a ribbon/seal and no Individual number. So, I was wondering if that meant it was an early pre-sale bottle or did they just skip around on whether they used numbers or not? That is, did they start labeling batch C-B-16-79 with the ribbon/seal labels, individual numbered labels or did they slap on labels without rhyme or reason? JP

I see now that you were asking about bottle number, not batch number.  I've never had a Booker's from when they numbered the bottles.  But I imagine they did that only in the early days. 

• I like it 1

Bookers only had a date code.  That should be some mighty fine drinking. 

Edited by LCWoody
  • I like it 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2023 at 3:04 PM, fosmith said:

If by lot number you mean the current batch batch numbers such as 2022-03, that numbering system started in late 2013 with 2013-6.  Before that the labels had the type of code that's on your bottle.  In your case "C" would designate the Clermont facility, "B" would mean February and the two sets of numbers would the the day of the month and the year that that batch was barreled.  There were a few batches where the first letter was "B" for the Boston facility.  That numbering system caused some confusion because a few times they barreled two batches on the same day.  So you would find two bottles with the same batch number but different proofs.  Here's a spreadsheet that contains the batch information: 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18u3WufUNv3X2ydfaEVKgMwSn_V9BwpV21mNC8Pkh9XE/htmlview#gid=0

This is is amazing, was able to clarify a bottle that I had myself, B94-E-13.

• I like it 1

• 10 months later...
On 3/11/2023 at 6:39 AM, JimmyPea said:

38D15D45-656E-4988-9254-DCEEE7853B24.jpeg

The very first edition was reportedly 120.9 proof, hand-signed and numbered by Booker, with a commemorative seal and no bottle number; the second version was still 120.9 proof, still hand-signed and numbered by Booker, without the commemorative seal and hand numbered. The third edition was 121.4 proof and machine-signed and numbered. If this is the case, you have the first of the first. I have the second first that has no seal. The 3rd came in a wood box and was that 121.4 poof

Not one of the first batches, but it was an older  one.  😎

image.thumb.jpeg.bad3ce676ee5028b5b0b9b74e248971c.jpeg

• I like it 2