Bourbon & Your Dog

jvd99

Who doesn't like the company of their pup when enjoying a pour.  

Show us your bourbon and your dog....

A congratulatory pour of WT101 after my last PT appointment for foot surgery

IMG_5466.jpeg

• I like it 8

thumbnail (2).jfifI don't have a pic of my dog with Bourbon.... but, this is Moose. He's a 120 lb. American Bulldog. He's a rescue from my Vet.  

A little background:

I was putting my 152 lb. Bull Mastiff/Rott mix down. He was too far gone with cancer to save. I was in tears on the floor with my big baby in my arms. The Vet told the assistant to bring Moose in. He asked if I knew anyone that could handle a large dog. I thought it was extremely insensitive at that moment. He knew what he was doing. 3 days later, Moose came home with me. He is my boy.... I love him to death.

I have no idea why the pic doesn't work. I suck at this stuff.

thumbnail (2).jfif

thumbnail (1).jfif

Edited by ebo
  • I like it 3

23 minutes ago, ebo said:

Try converting them to jpegs.

Replace the .jfif in the file name with .jpeg, then see if it works

22 hours ago, ebo said:

How do I do that? I'm not computer savvy.

Open it with a paint program then save it as a .jpeg file. 

• I like it 1

No pics but I used to have a female Staffordshire Terrier (a.k.a. pit bull) color all white.  Think of Pete from Little Rascals, but no markings.  We're talking 50 pounds of pure muscle.  She was super sweet with people, wanted to bite other animals.  Anyway, I would get home some days several hours before the wife.  I'd walk the dog then have a nice pour.  Good Times

• I like it 4

Ahh the good ole days. Our beloved Indy from days gone by. The bourbon is from days gone by also. 

C09FB058-9D9D-4559-B07D-C3DDF5FC3C65.jpeg

824E0958-FBE0-45E5-939E-E059698FA12F.jpeg

D22F551B-CD9C-4B0A-839E-9AFCDCAA6017.jpeg

• I like it 12

A bit more recent, but still a while back. My son and his families dogs, Zito (black and white hound mix) and Hudson (brindle pit mix). Both in doggie heaven. Bourbon….? 

9A461539-E459-433C-B768-D363BF2DAE08.jpeg

A6A87EF3-C5FB-401F-A29C-6F46AB7CD6D5.jpeg

DC21BF4F-66FB-4739-8183-4530CDB74E84.jpeg

• I like it 13

And currently, Harper. Harper is our sons family lovable sweetheart golden retriever. This pic is from when we were dog sitting not too long ago. Got ready for bed, and went to brush my teeth. I reckon Harper must have liked the way I turned down my bed. As for bourbon, can you say Weller Whore? 

FC72B2EF-2228-45A9-861B-F484F5995692.jpeg

8DEB8E55-8EF4-47D4-8405-477CF4455694.jpeg

B550C27E-7AE4-4108-94B7-7DE48ABC8044.jpeg

• I like it 16

17 hours ago, PaulO said:

No pics but I used to have a female Staffordshire Terrier (a.k.a. pit bull) color all white.  Think of Pete from Little Rascals, but no markings.  We're talking 50 pounds of pure muscle.  She was super sweet with people, wanted to bite other animals.  Anyway, I would get home some days several hours before the wife.  I'd walk the dog then have a nice pour.  Good Times

Staffies are not Pit Bulls. The American Pit Bull Terrior is the only true Pit Bull. Staffies are mixed with Pit Bulls, as are many other Bull breeds that get lumped into the catch all Pit Bull catagory. Most people think my Ambull is a Pit..... he's a Scott type American Bulldog.

The newer "Bully" dogs  (pocket, X, XL)are always called Pit Bulls, even though they are not. Looking like a Pit Bull doesn't mean it is.

The border collie mix with the party hat is our pretty, pretty Princess in doggie heaven. The fuzzy gray/white terrier is our current companion Rummy.

The two lab/"pit" siblings are my grand dogs Romeo (brown) and Vixen (black/white). The brown/white "pit" is a step-grand dog Chance. He lives at my daughter's with the other two and one other dog..a small Husky named Pepper but I don't seem to have a pic of her. Four dogs and two cats at my daughter's.  My other daughter has five cats. 😳

Screenshot_20230318_165312_One UI Home.jpg

20220813_214425.jpg

20211230_143226.jpg

FB_IMG_1679176318033.jpg

Screenshot_20230318_165258_Facebook.jpg

• I like it 8

I love this topic since it has my two of my three favorite things: Bourbon and dogs! (My other favorite things are electric guitars and basses, but I digress...) Currently sipping on the March '23 release of 4.8 year old Still Austin Single Barrel Cask Strength "Nancy's Picks" Bourbon, and hanging out with my beautiful 8 year old Labradoodle and master swimmer, Brandy. She's got her beloved and much chewed "Bourbone" from Angel's Share Wine & Spirits in MD that they sent her last fall. 

As for the Still Austin's Nancy's Picks, as of this June, I intend for all of them to be a minimum of 5 years old, and to just go up in age from there. 

@ebo Prayers to you and Moose. 

Cheers!

Nancy

BAA50AEA-676B-400A-9BE2-5793CD51E886.jpeg

0DA408AD-B8E4-49D1-BCA9-10BDDABF6C79.jpeg

• I like it 13

That is one curly haired pooch!    Cute, too! 

If I had the first clue how take a digital pic and transfer it from the camera (or phone, I suppose) I'd show all y'all my and Gayle's pookie-hound.    His name is Duke.   We rescued him around 7-years ago as a puppy-pooch, thinking he'd be a Shepard/Beagle mix (that's what we were told).   Uhhh, NO!    He's part Shepard and part ? and around half greyhound we think.   For sure some kind of running hound as he's lanky and lean with big muscled hams and shoulders.   He's very easy-going and almost never barks... and he's dumb as an oyster.   Ah, well.   He's loveable.

• I like it 2

The current two 15 year olds my wife and I share a space with:

Cappy (The Cap'n, Captain Crunch, Captain Caveman), a silver-haired poodle/schnauzer mix, and Bailey (Bailey-butt, Baby Girl, Little Goose), who may or may not be a purebred Bichon Frise. We neither asked nor cared.  Neither of the two likes bourbon, so I haven't got any pics with them drinking.  

IMG_20211212_184205.jpg

IMG_20220721_083700__01.jpg

• I like it 6

13 hours ago, ebo said:

Staffies are not Pit Bulls. The American Pit Bull Terrior is the only true Pit Bull. Staffies are mixed with Pit Bulls, as are many other Bull breeds that get lumped into the catch all Pit Bull catagory. Most people think my Ambull is a Pit..... he's a Scott type American Bulldog.

The newer "Bully" dogs  (pocket, X, XL)are always called Pit Bulls, even though they are not. Looking like a Pit Bull doesn't mean it is.

The American Kennel Club (AKC) did not like the name pit bull, so they came up with the name American Staffordshire Terrier.

UKC does register dogs under the name American Pit Bull Terrier.  I suppose a person could argue, only those dogs with the UKC papers are pit bulls.

In practical terms, all these dogs have the same origins, only registered by different organizations.  Characteristics all the same between the two.  When people have dogs with no papers, and it looks like this type of dog, the convention is to say it's a pit bull.  Myself, I always considered the Staffordshire as a subset of pit bull (that had AKC papers).

Now, American Bulldog is a much bigger animal - like twice the size.  Has a shorter muzzle too.  Maybe only confused with a pit bull when a pup.   

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, PaulO said:

Now, American Bulldog is a much bigger animal - like twice the size.  Has a shorter muzzle too.  Maybe only confused with a pit bull when a pup.   

Amrican Bulldogs come in two types: Johnson and Scott. The Johnson looks more like what most people know as a Bullgog with huge chest and legs towards the oustide, with a shorter muzzle. 

The Scott is longer and leaner, more athletic with legs that are more underneath the chest. They have a a longer muzzle at around 4". They look very much "Pit Bullish" Both types are heavily muscled, withe the Johnson being a bit larger.

My Scott is big for the type at 120 lbs.

Edited by ebo
  • I like it 1

The neighbor that borders our backyard used to have a huge American Bulldog.  When my son was a baby and learning to talk, he would point out the window and call the dog "woo woo".  We all started calling that dog "woo woo".

• I like it 1

The dog is not a bourbon fan,  she sniffs and walks away.  The cat thinks he’s a dog and loves bourbon.

71F010DC-5490-4762-8C0B-E74D8A2B8407.jpeg

3E6A48E4-9B8E-481A-A712-7BB5013B7E73.jpeg

60238D35-F2A2-4323-97BF-028E4866E90E.jpeg

• I like it 5

This is Baxter, our 14 year old Cairn terrier/ShiaTzu mix.   While he doesn't drink bourbon, he loves those who do, and for that earns unstinting praise.

20230321_070611.jpg

• I like it 7

Here is a picture of my two monsters - Makana (the tricolor) and Bekkahimage3.thumb.jpeg.a7f27cbd9b42b2001960eebd8fe3b139.jpegIMG_1172.thumb.jpeg.c94ff732794081e98846d0f714d0c326.jpeg

• I like it 8

4 hours ago, StarSurfer55 said:

Here is a picture of my two monsters - Makana (the tricolor) and Bekkahimage3.thumb.jpeg.a7f27cbd9b42b2001960eebd8fe3b139.jpegIMG_1172.thumb.jpeg.c94ff732794081e98846d0f714d0c326.jpeg

They’re both really cute pups, but that top picture is positively adorable!  

• I like it 1

Great topic!  Unfortunately, both of my doggies are under 21 so they cannot legally drink alcohol in Indiana.  Even though they both have NIL rights, they agreed to allow me to post their pictures on the internet without compensation beyond a few additional dog treats at bedtime.

9-Year Old Chorkie and 5-year old beagle.  One is a princess, the other is a working dog.  Both are sweet.  Neither cares for the odor or taste of alcohol   

We did have a sweetie, since passed, who did like to lick bourbon off my fingers.  She didn't care for straight rye.

Resized_20220617_195721(1).jpg

Resized_20221127_205240.jpg

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 5

On 3/18/2023 at 8:47 PM, WhiskeyBlender said:

I love this topic since it has my two of my three favorite things: Bourbon and dogs! (My other favorite things are electric guitars and basses, but I digress...) Currently sipping on the March '23 release of 4.8 year old Still Austin Single Barrel Cask Strength "Nancy's Picks" Bourbon, and hanging out with my beautiful 8 year old Labradoodle and master swimmer, Brandy. She's got her beloved and much chewed "Bourbone" from Angel's Share Wine & Spirits in MD that they sent her last fall. 

As for the Still Austin's Nancy's Picks, as of this June, I intend for all of them to be a minimum of 5 years old, and to just go up in age from there. 

@ebo Prayers to you and Moose. 

Cheers!

Nancy

BAA50AEA-676B-400A-9BE2-5793CD51E886.jpeg

0DA408AD-B8E4-49D1-BCA9-10BDDABF6C79.jpeg

Hi Nancy!  First, congratulations on the Still Austin barrel picks and the wonderfully cute puppy girl.  

My future DIL is in Austin this week.  Tonight, she texted me a picture of a bottle of the standard Still Austin Cask Strength.  I asked her if she visited the distillery. She said no.  She said a guy was giving out samples at a liquor store and had it.  She bought me a bottle.  I didn't ask her what she was doing in a liquor store in Austin.  😀 I told her about your work with the distillery.  She was like "who? what?" lol.  The bottle she has is the standard Cask Strength so I assume is around 2 years old.  The on-line reviews are good though. I am looking forward to trying it.

• I like it 1

Here they are today. Bekkah turns 1 to tomorrow; Makana turns 3 in August. Interestingly, mak’s father is Bekkah’s grandfather. 

6E43B99B-9413-4E9F-964F-EBA666C7A563.jpeg

A15A111A-785A-483E-B166-F328C6CEF119.jpeg

• I like it 5