Burgoo [was: "Wanted: Homemade Bourbon BBQ Sauce Recipe]

Gillman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

peregrination

??

I am fairly widely read, but you got me on that one. The only thing I can come up with is "peregrine falcon". I must go look it up.

Tim

It took me a little while to realize why I had no trouble with the meaning and usage of the word, but I finally remembered that Frank Herbert made use of the word in one or more of his Dune series novels.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Bobby, and yes, I recall reading in the string something about an atomic, bourbonic, bur-goo.

Sounds like a good rap lyric. smile.gif.

Or a punk lyric?

At the risk of breaching food forum etiquette, I finally figured out why "burgoo," a food which I have never eaten, struck a chord, so to speak.

This was the album title of a 1990 album by punk rockers

Antietam. I don't own the album but was reminded of its existence in this month's Spin magazine. Alternative country artist Ryan Adams named Antietam's "Burgoo" as one of the ten albums that influenced him most.

Not sure if there are any bonus recipes with the album. smile.gif However, given how much I like Ryan Adams, I may try to locate a vinyl copy somewhere.

(Bourbonitis Blues, do you know more about this one?)

• 9 months later...

Brenda, just a word to say that I used your recipe for burgoo for Derby Day. Mighty nice! I threw in a few additions of goat and venison. Had so much left over I've stored a bunch in the freezer!

• 3 weeks later...

Brenda, just a word to say that I used your recipe for burgoo for Derby Day. Mighty nice! I threw in a few additions of goat and venison. Had so much left over I've stored a bunch in the freezer!

Hey 'Nell,

Glad you liked it. You're exactly right, real Burgoo contains goat and venison (and sometimes other stuff people don't want to know about... skep.gif). It's just that most folks can't get that stuff. Whoohoo, you gotta tell me, you had that shipped up to you? How cool is that?

Too bad I can't be up there with you for the Belmont, drinking Bourbon and cheering Alex on to his next win... wink.gif. And, I could help you get rid of some of that excess Burgoo... lol.gif

Bj

On another board (but also this one) we discussed the etymology of the term "burgoo". The term was a British naval dish in pre-Revolutionary times, and migrated to America, and somehow has held on in certain areas. The term has been associated (this by accepted dictionary sources) with the word "bulgher", i.e., bulgher wheat, because it seems originally burgoo was a wheat-based gruel. Later people added meats to it, and in frontier conditions it is easy to see venison and goat meat or mutton would have been used or any readily available furred or feathered meat. If I am not mistaken, to this day the dish is noted for its slightly thick texture, usually imparted by flour but it could be from a potato or other starchy thickener, and thus we have a link still to the British naval and Colonial origins of this dish. Now you say, what does "bulgher" have to do with the word, "burgoo"? Ah, you see there is an alternate spelling and pronunciation for bulgher: it is, "burghul". Say that in a soft southern American accent which (to this day) bears vestiges of its British roots and what do you get? Burgoo. Oh yeah.. smile.gif

But what is atomic burgoo? A departure here from the British navy of the 1700's. I have an idea but cannot eludicate and leave it to others to give the lowdown (and, if minded, a recipe). smile.gif

Gary

• 1 month later...

Brenda, I must say that the burgoo froze really well. I just recently finished off the remainder of our leftovers. Great use of those little Chinese take out soup containers!

LeNell,

Very cool.

I'm thinking maybe I'll make up a big 'ol mess for the Festival!

Bj

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.