Michter's Mystery Solved

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

IIRC, Mitchers is on the National Registry as a historic site. While this will protect it from being knocked down, it doesn't do much about keeping it from falling down. The unfortunate aspect of being on these types of listings is that any repairs to be done require paperwork/approval to do. This adds a bit to the costs. Unless a group comes forth with funding to do the restoration, the building is likely to just slowly waste away.

I find it very hard to believe that these buildings/structures (this distillery) have not been given some sort of national historic protection and preservation? What the hell has gone wrong with this country?

Michter's WAS a registered National Historic Landmark for a number of years until its closure and abandonment. It was delisted in the '90s because it was no longer operable or maintained for the purpose for which it was registered.

Who is the current owner?

Are they likely to accept a reasonable offer if someone does come forward...or has the owner been approached and he is wanting far too much for the site??

Is there any other parties who have an interest in getting this up and running again??

Guys rather than just saying it's a shame to see these places go...do something about it!!

I see that there is a number of people here wanting to see Michter's revived...Put your money were your mouth is?!

It would only take some organisation but it is not beyond tackling...I mean I will be doing something in my time towards reviving a distillery, be it on my own or with help.

Here is a challenge for you SB'ers, and in particular the ones who are involved within the industry...get together and do something!!

Start by at least finding out if you can purchase the site and what the asking figure would be...Come on Guys, get off your ass and do something!!

Who is the current owner?

According to what I have heard, nobody lays claim to the distillery. Probably because of things like back taxes, etc. They (the county) have been trying to find the owner for years (they claim). I would imagine that either the State or County owns the place now and it's just sittin there goin to hell.

Joe :usflag:

It was delisted in the '90s because it was no longer operable or maintained for the purpose for which it was registered.

Tim,

It was delisted in 1997.

According to what I have heard, nobody lays claim to the distillery

WHATTT!! You have to be kidding me?!

So the gentleman that I read who was using the site is no longer there?

Where's Chuck??

Come on mate, surely you can have some involvement in getting this place revived??!!

Use your industry sources...

Once my liquor license is issued I will be looking into this further...reviving Michter's that is.

Found these pics on the web too...

Also I believe the Beam's own the stills...whether they are originals or not, I don't know. I was actually contacted and asked for a bottle of the Black Wax Hirsch but they didn't get it in the end....??

post-1210-14489812652258_thumb.jpg

post-1210-14489812652466_thumb.jpg

Guys, please don't take me the wrong way...if I have seemed to be a little abrupt, I do apologies.

It's just I have watched now for nearly 12 months, so many people here say it's a shame to lose Michter's Distillery, and even now there is nothing being done.

I just hope it's still there in another 12 months!!

Here in the States, there are thousands and thousands of dollars involved in Taxes. The back taxes on the property are considerable. Thats why the owners have disappeared. You'd have to buy back the name (more money). The taxes due on the new product, which won't be ready for years, is due when you ship the cases of whisky. Renovation cost and all new equipment would cost a fortune. IMHO, There is a reason why there are so few distillers in America. It cost A LOT of money. The investment part alone takes so much capital, you would have to overly rich to make this happen.

Now if you can make this happen, GO FOR IT!!!!!! I will be there to buy your first botltle and if the product is good, I will make it a part of my weekly pours.

Good Luck

I had many people tell me I would have no chance in becoming a wholesaler/importer/exporter too and it would be impossible to compete with the other companies already here, yet I am only waiting on my license and I will be the distributer in Oz for many new products...

So I don't believe something like Michter's is impossible...

On a sort of seperate note...I just read through a post from 2000...talking about David Beam owning the 'replicas'...also read about Evan Kulsveen and his project...can anyone offer some current news on this??

WHATTT!! You have to be kidding me?!

So the gentleman that I read who was using the site is no longer there?

Where's Chuck??

Come on mate, surely you can have some involvement in getting this place revived??!!

Use your industry sources...

Once my liquor license is issued I will be looking into this further...reviving Michter's that is.

Found these pics on the web too...

Also I believe the Beam's own the stills...whether they are originals or not, I don't know. I was actually contacted and asked for a bottle of the Black Wax Hirsch but they didn't get it in the end....??

Good Luck to you...

I have no interest (physically-or financially) in bringing this or any distillery back into operation. My Uncle Everett (C.E. Beam) was Master Distiller for Michter's for over 40+ years.

I would like to see it happen, offer advice, and help with leads, but I am not going to spend my life fortune---or the very little "extra" time in my life to "try" to make it a reality.

I may be wrong but I get a direct hint that you think we are not familiar with these issues? I hope, I am wrong with this impression.

On this forum and you will find that "we---SB.com member's---collectively know most all the facts about theses kinda things. Unless, you win the lottery or you have a bunch of "wealthy partner's"...this will always be a dream. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it happen...but the "facts" lay a hard line.

David Beam, owns the pot still...He and his son's (John Ed and Bill) graciously let us take a tour of the old Michter's pot still, every time we have a SB.com gathering in Bardstown. The still is located directly across from the "General Nelson"...One of his son's is a member here. COPPERSTILL (John Ed Beam :grin: )

I've "reposted" a few pictures from this thread: http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2553

The first picture is forum member's---> Dane (gr8erdane), Bobby (bobbyc), Cliff (Barrel_Proof), and Gary (Gillman)

The second picture is the owner of the still (right, David Beam and his son Bill)

The third picture is Craig Beam :grin: :grin: :grin:

Here's another thread about unsuccessful rescue events: http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3764

and another about David Beam and his journey to "revive the Michter's Pot Still....

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2499&highlight=david+beam

Bettye Jo

post-20-14489812652949_thumb.jpg

post-20-14489812653174_thumb.jpg

post-20-14489812653402_thumb.jpg

The Michters property was abandoned when the distillery closed in 1989, which meant ownership went to someone in default, either the bank that held the mortgage or, possibly, the state since there were a lot of outstanding taxes. That was ultimately settled. The guy David Beam bought the small still from had no intention of trying to reopen the place and was basically trying to make money by salvaging and selling anything there of value. Likewise the person who own it now, for whom I'm sure it's basically just a real estate investment.

As for restoring and reopening this or any other historic distillery (there are many in Kentucky that sit in much that same state) it is a multi-million dollar proposition that one would have to enter into without much hope of recouping the investment. Also, not to splash cold water on anybody, but what are you actually buying? A place where something happened once upon a time? Some ratty old buildings? There's nothing there, except possibly the water source, that would contribute to making the same product. The still is gone and so, I assume, are the fermenters and most everything else.

If you bought it, you probably couldn't even use the name Michter's. I don't know if Chatham actually obtained the rights from someone or just started to use the name figuring there was no one to challenge them, but at any rate they are using it and, legally, buying that chunk of land wouldn't return the rights to the name to the new owner. Likewise any of the other names that have been associated with the place or its products, such as Bomberger or Hirsch.

Because of my profile and what I do, I get calls or notes on a regular basis from people who want to start a distillery or revive a distillery. Not one has ever come to anything. When you really get into it and realize what it will take it's just too big a pill to swallow. Even the micro-distilleries that are popping up now all over the place are, for the most part, avoiding whiskey. It's just too hard.

Because of my profile and what I do, I get calls or notes on a regular basis from people who want to start a distillery or revive a distillery. Not one has ever come to anything. When you really get into it and realize what it will take it's just too big a pill to swallow. Even the micro-distilleries that are popping up now all over the place are, for the most part, avoiding whiskey. It's just too hard.

I am somewhere in the 600th page of the 4200 which I need to wade through, and this is just to get an understanding of all the regulations there are to follow. There is a LOT involved.

I have no interest (physically-or financially) in bringing this or any distillery back into operation. My Uncle Everett (C.E. Beam) was Master Distiller for Michter's for over 40+ years.

Betty-Jo I'm a little confused by your comment above...Or has someone approached you directly on a previous occassion?? Not being rude, but I didn't ask if you wanted in...

I would gladly accept any advice you would be willing to provide...

People it seems as though I have given the impression that I don't know what is involved, so NOT the case!!!!

Just as any business rules and regulations have to be followed so why do people seem so daunted by running a distillery...??

Every one keeps talking about costs...for goods sake if I want to do something and it's a passion of mine...does costs come into it??

And to say I would get nothing in return for my investment...how about the satisfaction in completeing a restoration project??

When you really get into it and realize what it will take it's just too big a pill to swallow

Crap!! The pill may be too big for some here, but not me!!

Well I am leaving this thread now as I am really disappointed in the amount of 'negative' attitudes...

Well I am leaving this thread now as I am really disappointed in the amount of 'negative' attitudes...

If you're not quite out the door yet..........

There has been more than a little diligent exploring into the business side of bourbon by a few folks hereabouts, and really it boils down to it would be a great thing to do, but unless one is bleeding cash, and perhaps you are, it isn't feasible.

Nearly....but Joe managed to keep me here.

Can I suggest that if there is anyone serious about becoming involved in a possible project, then please contact Joe - If that's ok with you Joe??

Or myself via direct email.

Cheers!

Betty-Jo I'm a little confused by your comment above...Or has someone approached you directly on a previous occassion?? Not being rude, but I didn't ask if you wanted in...

Is there any other parties who have an interest in getting this up and running again??

This sentence (above) is a direct "quote" from your "public" post.

Bettye Jo

Betty Jo you are indeed correct! However I asked if anyone is interested - not if anyone is not interested...

I can clearly see the one's who are not interested.

David Beam, owns the pot still...He and his son's (John Ed and Bill) graciously let us take a tour of the old Michter's pot still, every time we have a SB.com gathering in Bardstown. The still is located directly across from the "General Nelson"...One of his son's is a member here. COPPERSTILL (John Ed Beam :grin: )

Bettye Jo,

Is he ever going to do anything with it?

Bettye Jo,

Is he ever going to do anything with it?

I'm not Bettye Jo, but I can answer the question. The answer is most likely, no, although he's idosyncratic on the subject, as David is on many things. David's three sons are all great guys with wonderful families who have their own lives but who genuinely feel there is something they aren't doing that they aught to be doing. David has said that's why he bought the still, so his boys could have a chance to do that thing their genes are telling them to do. But on other days he says he bought it because he just likes to have it around, since he has lived around stills all his life. (He grew up in that house on the hill at Beam's Clermont plant.)

I'm not Bettye Jo, but I can answer the question. The answer is most likely, no, although he's idosyncratic on the subject, as David is on many things. David's three sons are all great guys with wonderful families who have their own lives but who genuinely feel there is something they aren't doing that they aught to be doing. David has said that's why he bought the still, so his boys could have a chance to do that thing their genes are telling them to do. But on other days he says he bought it because he just likes to have it around, since he has lived around stills all his life. (He grew up in that house on the hill at Beam's Clermont plant.)

Now Chuck :grin: :grin:

Did Troy give you permission to answer that question? :slappin: :slappin: :slappin:

Bettye Jo

As for restoring and reopening this or any other historic distillery (there are many in Kentucky that sit in much that same state) it is a multi-million dollar proposition that one would have to enter into without much hope of recouping the investment.

Would these, probably insurmountable, difficulties also apply to a distillery that has fairly recently ceased operations? Stitzel Weller, for instance.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.