The Book

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

"The Book" is what I've been calling it, but the actual title is Bourbon, Straight: The Uncut and Unfiltered Story of American Whiskey. I delivered it to the printer today and should have it in a couple of weeks. Retail price will be $22.95. It's 266 pages (284 with all the roman numeraled stuff). I'm working on some kind of a coupon/discount for StraightBourbon.com members. More on that later.

So, what is it? Well, it's a narrative, a story, or series of stories, not an encyclopedia. It is meant to be read, not referenced (although I did bust my ass on the index). I talk about the stuff you'd expect, how it's made, the history, where the name "bourbon" comes from. Because of my background, I also talk about the business side, marketing and such. As the title suggests, there is a fair amount of de-bunking. I'm not promoting any distilleries or products, so it's all the truth as close as I could find it. It is about American whiskey, not just bourbon per se. There is a tasting guide and 35 product reviews.

What else? As the back cover copy says, "It is richly detailed, clear, authoritative, insightful, independent and fun to read."

Respecting the non-commercial nature of this site, when I actually have books to sell I will post a web site address and that will be it with the plugging, though I'm happy to answer any questions.

post-5-14489811555454_thumb.jpg

Let me say I will be looking forward to adding a copy to my small Bourbon Library. Is that a picture of the old TW Samuels warehouses at Deatsville? If so an interesting choice. I don't believe that design was used extensively although I do think Heaven Hill may have had a building or 2 like those and lost them in the fire.

Bravo, Chuck!!!

Look forward to the read!

Thanks for all you do for bourbonia!!!

I'm looking forward to it. Will you be hosting a signing during the festival?

First of all, congrats Chuck and goold luck with it. I, like Bobby, was struck right away by the rickhouse design used. Great choice Chuck, the book is alredy standing out! toast.gif

I'm going to try to arrange for something at a Bardstown book store during the festival, but will also be available informally at the gazebo and such.

Well, nobody needed to see another bottle and glass. (Here are the original models at Deatsville.)

post-5-14489811555664_thumb.jpg

I now have a mint julep in my hand. I offer a toast to Chuck and to much success with the book!

Congrats! I look forward to having your books at my store and in my own library. Can't wait to meet you at the gazebo!

Very nice location Chuck considering I make sure I go to the bookstore while in Bardstown at least twice during the festival. It has lots of hidden treasures. Considering the one in the center of town has an upstairs (that seems to contain)old antiques and relics from years gone by. The book collections upstairs are brittle but cherished by a book lover like myself. Who knows maybe we will see your book on their shelves.

We'll be sure to pick up a copy at the festival... congrats on the book...

-Chris

drink.gif

I look foward to it's arrival grin.gif

Ya might want to see what happens during the festival grin.gif I have invited Chuck to have a "book signing" at my party during the festival...He has accepted grin.gifgrin.gif

Won't that be a picture of all pictures? grin.gif Our very own Chuck Cowdery...introducing his new book along with all of SB.com behind him holding our "signed" copy grinnin' from ear to ear grin.gif

It's gonna be great!!!! grin.gif

grin.gifgrin.gif Bettye Jo grin.gifgrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Chuck,

Too cool! One signed copy please.

This is 'the book' you were working on the last time you were in?

I can't wait for the

the business side, marketing and such

part. And of course, Bettye Jo's Beams... grin.gif

Congratulations my friend! I can only imagine the fortitude it took to get thru a 284 page project... toast.gif

Your work is a terrific thing for Bourbon in general, and the state of Kentucky as well. Thanks!

Bj

Bobby,

I do think Heaven Hill may have had a building or 2 like those and lost them in the fire.

Geez, you ARE good! toast.gif This photo is from August '96.

post-25-14489811560163_thumb.jpg

Geez, you ARE good!

I didn't just fall off the turnip truck!

Well really I did but it was very early this morning! lol.gif

Chuck,

I am sure this will be an excellent addition to my library. You do great research and and I am sure the index will make it even better.

Mike Veach

Do you think we Will see the book for sale internationally, or is it one we will have to order from a US online retailer?

It will be available from me directly for shipment anywhere in the world. In fact, I just today sent a copy of my blues book to someone in New Zealand. (Well, re-sent it, with the right customs form this time.)

Well, a lot of you know that I am going to have a good ole southern style cook-out at my home, during the festival this year. I will make the announcement with the time, date, directions etc. "later" as plans progress to the final stage grin.gif

What started out as a "personal and private" gathering of a few friends, has turned into a "Event"...Oh Well, I ain't never done anything low key in my life...and why start now? skep.gifgrin.giflol.gif

Just wanted to announce this, I will have a "special area" set aside just for Chuck, to sign his new book "Bourbon, Straight" during my party grin.gif

The official price on the book (if you buy it at a bookstore) will be $22.95. You can purchase this book during the book signing (at the cook-out grin.gif). The "Straightbourbon.com Member" price will be, $20.00 grin.gif. Sorry, no credit cards blush.gif but cash or a personal check's are welcome grin.gif

I am really excited about this...I have butterflies just thinking about it! grin.gif

grin.gifgrin.gif Bettye Jo grin.gifgrin.gif

Congrats Chuck!

I'll see if I can find another Very Very Old Fitzgerald 12 to toast your book at the gazebo.

Omar

Hi Chuck

Just ordered my copy. I'm really looking forward to a good read. Thanks for the discount. bowdown.gif

I also just ordered a copy. I appreciate the SB member discount. I put some lame inscription on our copy. You are much more eloquent with words. Feel free to spice up the inscription up a bit. I am all tingly with anticipation on receiving our copy.

Howie

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.