2004 George T. Stagg <older than 16 years this time around!>

Paradox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Good Gosh Howie, I still see at least 4 drops of amber left in that grizzled veterean. Don't let ANY go to waste. smilielol.gif

Howie,

Now all I am left with is an empty bottle and a tear in my eye. A sad display for a grown man.

I just can't bring myself to do it...as long as there's a drink left, the bottle isn't empty... smilielol.gif

post-25-14489811615847_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings SBers,

I've been lurking for a bit and figured I'd make the jump into the fray with this question:

Does anyone have a rough ETA of when the new Stagg bottling will show up in stores?

The BT cam gave me hope that it would be relatively soon, but no online or B&M store appears to have it yet. Traditionally, how quickly does the Stagg sell out? I missed last year's batch and I don't want to be left behind this time!

Thanks in advance,

I'm told by the VA ABC special order division that the new Stagg should arrive sometime in November. For everyone enjoying a free spirits market, I'm guessing that the Stagg will be around a month earlier.

Welcome to SB.com, by the way! I owe 99.9% of what I know about bourbon to this place/great folks.

It showed up in Lexington Friday morning, and on the SB.com gazebo table Friday evening. If you've ever had Stagg, you'll recognize it. Others, I'm sure, will offer their impressions -- and my own are just from a couple of samplings over a couple of evenings while inundated with other wonderful bourbons, but... -- I found it virtually identical to the '03, except that I was drinking it straight while I dilute the '03 3/2 to water. Even at 129 proof, the current bottling was very drinkable uncut. Astonishing, really.

Man, I wish I was back in Lexington (my hometown) just to grab a case of this. I wonder if, a. it's cheaper in Ky... and b. it'll still be readily available there when I'm back at Xmas time... confused.gif

scb,

Once a Kentuckian, always a Kentuckian... smirk.gif

Welcome to the forum!

Man, I wish I was back in Lexington (my hometown) just to grab a case of this. I wonder if, a. it's cheaper in Ky... and b. it'll still be readily available there when I'm back at Xmas time...

It's only a 3 bottle case. And the second largest liquor store in Lexington only got 17 cases, so my guess is...

a. yes, it's probably going to be a little cheaper here (but I may be mistaken).

b. sadly, I doubt it will still be available by Christmas (but again, I may be wrong)

PM me when you're headed this way. If I can't find you a bottle, I can at least find you a taste... wink.gif

Bj

Thanks to help from Miss Brenda.....Val, Dave and Tina (Angleshare) and I went on a Stagg hunt in Lexington after the Four Roses breakfast Friday am. Mo at Liquor Barn was our connection and we got 3 cases (9 bottles). It took Dave and Tina about 22 seconds to rationalize purchasing a whole case as they'd never seen it on the shelf. It was a fun road trip....retail for the Stagg was less than $40 while the rest of the Antique Collection was about $45.

Earlier comments regarding drinkability at full strength are accurate. It's still a powerhouse. I'm looking forward to a three way tasting.

Randy

Wow, thanks for the kind offer BJ... hopefully I'll be resourceful enough to get my taste buds on the stuff without having to resort to the kindness of strangers...but you never know! grin.gif

I'm gonna try emailing a pre-order into some of the reputable online shops...

Enjoy you Stagg, lucky Bluegrass State residents!

Just picked up my bottles from my source here in MD. In answer to a question above about prices, at my store (with the case discount and including tax) it came to $35.89/bottle. Aside from the % and proof statement, the label doesn't state year or age. I plan on doing a side-by-side with the '03 tonight. Has anyone compared them yet? Included in the cases is the Gary and Mardee Regan "97" score "shelf talker" from the past that most have seen.

frown.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.gif

Apparently the UK is only getting 18 bottles.

I was offered one a few weeks back for $ 260 hot.gif Obsessed as I am I can't pay that !

Envy is a terrible thing !

Cheers,

B.

Happiness has now returned to the Stoopsie household. The Montgomery County Liquor-Stork has just delivered triplets to my family. They were only 19 days old when they arrived. I think I will name them all George using the traditional Foreman method. With the triplets you get a birth certificate that gives all the vitals on these youngsters.

With 3 of them I hope that at least one George is around for its 1 year birthday. But as a wise person always says "Whiskey just don't keep"

A very Happy Happy Happy Howie

post-535-14489811671255_thumb.jpg

OK, I'm starting to get jealous.

I did a little checking on when and how much is destined for Minnesota. The answer to the when question was that its still in the warehouse, waiting for the next truck to Minnesota, whenever that will be (they weren't sure). As far as how much is headed this way, I believe the answer was "Not much. smile.gif" frown.gif

If only I could talk my wife into a road-trip to Kentucky. Heck, its only a 13 hour drive, one way, according to Mapquest.

I would do it - seriously

What a shame, though, to have missed the Festival only to show up two weeks later on a Bourbon run! crazy.gif

At this point, I'm just going to hold out hope that my local source will get their shipment. I was originally going to try for six bottles, but have lowered that to three, both for economic reasons, and because there's not a whole lot of it coming this way!

Whether your pilgrimage is for GTS alone or not, the trip to Kentucky is worth while. The people are so friendly that any venture into this region is a reward unto itself. Make sure to let everyone know beforehand when and where you will be and almost assuredly there will be an SB.COM member there to greet you in one form or another. There are no better folk than those whom I have met on this forum bar none. Make sure to take the time to visit at least one of the distilleries also, as they are all almost a shrine unto themselves. toast.gif

We finally found it! On the way to the festival Friday we stopped at the Liquor Barn at Louisville. They carry a great selection of bourbons. A truck had just come in from their distributor with the 2004 George T. Stagg. We were able to pick-up four bottles. Three for home and one to be shared at this years gazebo. This is the first time I have ever had the opportunity to try the Stagg. I was very impressed.

Todd

I was very excited to pick up four bottles of Stagg from the Liqor Barn in Louisville on Hurstborn. I tasted it right when I got home and liked it a lot. I would be interested to hear a Connoisseur's thoughts on the 2004 Stagg. Stagg seems quite unique to me. It would be fun to have tasting notes on it.

Ike

Binny's is shipping out their Stagg 04 now.

I just got a call from Brett and he took my info over the phone.

Two bottles came to $114.38 including $13 for shipping to Seattle.

Steep, but I've been looking forward to trying this stuff for a good long time.

Clayton, see my avatar? That's a $20 shot of 2002 Stagg. The finest bourbon every to pass over these humble lips yum.gif

DaveM

• 2 weeks later...

Last night, I opened a bottle and had my first taste of George T. Stagg.

I proclaim that this is, without doubt, the finest whiskey I've had yet.

It's rich beyond belief, full of buttery cinnamon and fresh cherries, the kind of drink you want to hold in your mouth for a long time to explore its depths. I found all the flavors that I prize in other bourbons amplified to the most beautiful extreme. Powerful and dazzling, yet never overwhelming or cloying.

Extraordinary.

Wonderful to find something that lives up to and ultimately exceeds its reputation.

Wonderful to find something that lives up to and ultimately exceeds its reputation.

And it does it so easily. One gets the feeling that it hits its' stride and leaves lots of things in the dust. toast.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.