New Pappy Van Winkle 15yo Update and pics

Paradox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well all, I just got back from the tasting at LeNell's store and at the end of the night Bob and I had the opportunity to try the new Pappy Van Winkle 15 yo 107 proof. I really liked it a lot! I found it to be a bit smoother than the previous 15yo as well as it shares a bit more family profile or the other Pappy products. I forgot to bring my camera with me so I had to take pics with my damn crappy camera phone, but at least I got shots to show. The new label looks very similar to the pappy 23 yo label but is a bit darker. Julian said he wanted to try and keep with the colors from the old 15yo. Also, it has a black foil cap on top just like the red one on the pappy 20. All the barrels for these bottles were chosen by Julian to try and keep with the old 15yo but also match up better with the Pappy profile. And let me tell you all he did a great job! Keep an eye out in places that do not have it yet as it should be out soon. NY still doesn’t have it but we got to try from the one bottle he brought with him. toast.gif Oh yes, and the back of the bottle is different from the other Pappy's in that this one has a picture on top of a rather young Pappy with a little story below it.

post-87-14489811607602_thumb.jpg

Wow! What a night! We had such a fantastic tasting with Julian in the house. I found the new 15 had a little more fire and more fruit flavor, the older a little sweeter and a bit more mellow IMHO. The new packaging is beautiful and definitely a winner. Pricing is pretty much the same, proof is the same. Julian said he and Preston handpicked these barrels for the new so you may find a slightly different favor profile. Like I always say, taste buds are like another part of ya body that we all got so buy up the new and judge for yourself. Julian razzle dazzled 'em and what more can ya ask for than great whiskey and a great man behind it all. (And thanks to Mark for posting pics as we all seemed brain dead and cameraless and also thanks for the tasty vintage yum yum!)

Yes indeed, it was quite a night tasting the range of VW products with Julian himself. cool.gif Having a few hefty pours of the 20 YO was very enjoyable. I would have to say that I liked the new 15 YO a lot as well, but having only a small taste at the end of the evening, I'm not able to contribute to the finer elements of tasting notes. All I'll say is that when its available in NY, I'm gonna buy me some! grin.gif

BTW, in addition to all of the wonderful VW goodies, we had an opportunity to taste some elk burgers. smile.gif They were a fine compliment to all of that fine bourbon! yum.gifyum.gif

Bob

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.