Evan Williams 1783 10yo --- Was:Evan Williams '94 vintage

angelshare
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I had my first taste of the EWSB 94 this evening, and I certainly agree with the sentiments here. My tasting skills are definitely elementary, so I haven't the gumption to attempt true notes. I will just say that I've always enjoyed the EWSB, and this bottling is no exception.

It also made me think about what a tremendous bargain EW 1783 is. Tina is always touting the attributes of the 1783, so we usually have it around. I know that it was recently discussed here that the 1783 is a great bargain. Anyway, I had the 1783 last night, so I guess it was fresh on my taste buds. The EWSB 94 really reminded me of it.

Since they are of similar (same?) age, mashbill and proof(yes, I reluctantly admit that I just figured this out), should EWSB be considered, for all practical purposes, the SB version of EW 1783? Is ten years just a particularly optimal or at least distinctive aging for this whiskey?

In VA, EWSB = $23.

EW 1783 = $11.

There is efficacy, and then there is cost-efficacy. EW 1783 definitely has cost efficacy.

I apologize if this has come up previously.

I've never had 1783 and haven't even seen it distributed here.

The only place I've seen it is in Kentucky. And Tennessee generally has one of everything (well, almost anyway -- no AAA 10yo anymore). I passed on it during my last KY outing (in April) because I knew nothing about it. I'll know better in September.

I found some in a retailer in San Antonio about 6 months ago. $9.99 per and relatively light and refreshing for a 10yo. Lots of mentholyptus working here. As I posted in another thread, F. Paul Pacult said this was the best whiskey bargain in the world.

Randy

The 1783 is widely available here in PA for $9.99. I have never tried it, but, after reading these posts, I may just have to...in the interest of science, of course wink.gif

SpeedyJohn

I think a gazebo taste test is a great idea! I would love to hear the real experts give their impressions in real time.

Since I don't really have much to offer with respect to bourbon exotica at the gazebo, and since I brought up the comparison, one of our contributions will be just that: a bottle of EWSB and a bottle of EW 1783 for head to head tasting.

Tina has been a vocal advocate of EW 1783 for years in our house. Every time I pour one, I think, "Wow, she's right!" Then I somehow seem to forget until the next one. We've never really made the connection that EWSB and EW 1783 had such similarity in age, etc. until now.

According to our labels

EWSB = 86.6 proof, ? 9-10 yrs old (I assume 10, but technically this year's was barrelled in "Autumn" 1994, so is that less than 10 yrs old?)

EW 1783 = 86 proof, 10 yrs old

I assume that all EW's are the same mashbill (Bettye Jo?).

I assume that all EW's are the same mashbill (Bettye Jo?).

You are right grin.gif Same mash bill...

We have two (2) mashbill's. The other one is wheated, used for Old Fitz grin.gif

grin.gifgrin.gif Bettye Jo grin.gifgrin.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.