Trivia anyone?

bourbonv
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I am going to visit Howie and some other friends in Maryland and Virginia the last week of September when they fire up the pot still at Mt. Vernon. Howie has found some 350ml bottle of Rebel Yell 90 proof from the early 1990's and has saved some for me. I am going to take one of these bottles and have Julian Van Winkle (grandson of the owner of the distillery that made this whiskey) and Doug Farnsley (son of Charley Farnsley who created the brand) autograph it. I was thinking then I might offer it as a prize to a trivia contest on the board. I would post 10 trivia questions on bourbon history and give it as the prize to whoever is first to get all ten answers right. Anybody interested in such a contest and prize?

Mike Veach

If your friend has an extra bottle around, I'd love to know what he wants for it. I'm curious about the 90 proof.

Talk to Howie. He found these bottles in the Baltimore area. If there are not any left in the store, I am sure he can arrange to get you a bottle.

Rebel Yell at 90 proof and 5 years old is an excellent bourbon. U.D. screwed it up somewhat when they lowered the proof to 80. I think you will like it if you like wheated bourbon.

Mike Veach

It looks like there is some interest in this concept. I will start putting together some challenging questions over the long weekend. I do think I will bribe Chuck to stay out of the contest as a contestant with his own autographed bottle so the playing field will be a little more level. How about it Chuck? Can you be bribed to act as a judge in case of a tie in return for an autographed bottle?

Mike Veach

One small change here in the prize. Howie informs me that the bottles are 200ml not 350ml.

Mike Veach

Thanks, Chuck. If I made questions that would stump you, I think everybody else would panic and not participate. If you want the autographed bottle, though, I would be happy to get one for you. Howie has about a half dozen set aside for me and the autographs are easy for me to get.

Mike Veach

Sounds like fun. I usually suck at trivia questions, but there's always no harm in participating. I always learn something in the process.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.