Fleischmann's Rye

Gillman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This is the rye whiskey associated with Barton's. It is mentioned on their web site, or was the last I looked.

Has anyone seen a bottle of this for sale lately, even in Bardstown?

Gary

• 1 month later...

Gary,

I was re-reading some of Uncle Everett's notes about distilling and found a "tidbit" of information that somehow got by me.

He makes reference (product name) to Michter's...He writes about how he got the job there...Yesterday, I noted the part where he wrote the best way to mash...at nearly the end of this subject he specifically mentions "Fleishman for Red Star"...Those are the only two instances that he makes reference to specific names.

The reason he mentions Fleishman's he made note to use "dry yeast"...

grin.gifgrin.gif Bettye Jo grin.gifgrin.gif

Fleischmann invented dry cake yeast back in 1870. I wonder if they used dry yeast in their rye whiskey. Sounds like Red Star used it.

Gary, I also still see the brand on Barton's site. Maybe it's still available in Cincinnati as that was their home base.

Uncle Everett was big on Rye Whiskey. I posted a picture of him with a milestone barrel of Rye taken at Michter's. He was Master Distiller for Michter's...He worked there for 40+ years.

My point...I was suggesting that "maybe" that's how Fleichmann's Rye Whiskey was created. Those are the only two instances that he mentions specific names.

grin.gifgrin.gif Bettye Jo grin.gifgrin.gif

Interesting and a coincidence no doubt in terms of the connection to Fleischmann's rye whiskey, except only a partial coincidence, because I would be surprised if the Fleischmann of the yeast business and he of the original Fleishmann whiskies (which go back to the early 20th century if not longer) are not the same person or in the same family at any rate. Yeast manufacture and distilling are closely related. I credit Chuck's bourbon book with that point since that is where I read it.

Gary

Gary,

Flieschmann's was owned by Glenmore and their records are part of the United Distillers Archive. The yeast production grew out of their distilling company. The company dates back to the last half of the 19th century. I will have to check my records at home for exact dates, but I have a pretty good timeline for the company in my records at home if you are interested.

Mike Veach

Hi Mike, that would be great. I always wondered too if Joseph Fleischman, who authored an 1885 book on whiskey blending as you know, was related to the Fleischmann's who made or sold whiskey. I have to assume he was, the names and interests seem too close for this not to be so. Yes, the yeast and whiskey Fleischmann name had an extra n but spelling was variable at the time, I think.

Gary

Not sure about Flieschmann's but during prohibition Anheuser Busch kept it's head above water in part through their sale of yeast. I imagine a lot of distillers and breweries did the same.

To add to Mike's note, Glenmore acquired Fleischmann's when they acquired Medley, which had acquired Fleischmann's only a few years before, sometime in the mid-1980s. Not sure when the yeast brand was split off, but it was before that.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.