Old Forester Birthday Bourbon Fall 1995

bobbyc
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I happily noted September 2 as George Garvin Browns Birthday as is my custom, and became exuberant at finding a bottle Friday..........But not so fast........ While in the bunker researching aromatic bitters for another post, I gave the Birthday Bourbon a looking over... They are tweaking the label a bit, the Hang Tag is Blue this go around and now a little blue is on the label, also the distilled date is on the left where Fall or Spring was last year and where 1990 is on the 2003 bottles the bottled date appears................FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS HOLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are getting a bourbon this year that is scantly older than 8 years. Now they have teased us with a 13 year (More or Less) for 2 years and 3 expressions. I realise theres nothing about age on the bottles and each vintage is picked for it's own merits. The story goes this time that the bourbon soaked deeply in the wood upon entry to the warehouse.

After all that I want to say the bourbon seems good, but I had went to check aromatic bitters so my palate may have been off. lol.gif

First the lowering of Jack Daniels from 86 to 80 proof, I can hear a resounding <font color="red"> WHO CARES </font> on that. The lawsuit against Barton which the judge did feel that their trademark was trampled a bit, and now this. Has the concept that when they drop the age the equivalent of 40 percent,some of us working smucks would appreciate a similiar reduction in price, I guess not.

I note the sudden reported improvement of Woodford Reserve -- do you think it's possible that, in addition to the pot-stilled whiskey addition, that maybe B-F is running a little thin on 'honey barrels', and doesn't have enough appropriate, well-aged barrels available for another teen-aged Birthday Bourbon?

Maybe the whole point this year is to show a rapidly aged bourbon, if one considers 8 years rapid. I was told once by Baker Beam, after complimenting him on how good Baker's is, that he considers 8 years to be the perfect age and I took that to mean for his bourbon. I've been told one other time , " Everyone knows if you age bourbon more than 10 years, you just ruin it" That was someone else who said that.

There's nothing to say that perhaps at some time hence we may see a 15 year Birthday Bourbon. I'm wondering now about how a bourbon becomes Birthday Bourbon and all the information about the weather, heat cycle and so forth is known on the day it was entered. I don't doubt that the information is somewhere, just that to pull a barrel and it is a honey barrel and someone decides that because it rained the week it was put in or because the wood was particuliarly dry and porous is what we have to thank for it's uniqueness, maybe that's a stretch.

At any rate make up your own minds as always, and overlook these little rantings of mine. I just feel like I'm being shorted a little here.

I just poured a wee dram, without a mouth full of bitters today, I'll say this, the Emperor has no clothes. horseshit.gifsoapbox.gif

Bobby if it really is disappointing you have every right to feel shorted. (I'm assuming there is no commensurate price decrease to make up for this batch's shortcomings!?)

The new OFBB was one of the hard-to-get bottlings I had planned on automatically stocking up on while at the Festival, but based on your less-than-rave review I may just have to do some sampling first.

Your quote about 10+YO bourbon being ruined made me think to myself "Pappy 20 says hi!" lol.gif

(I'm assuming there is no commensurate price decrease to make up for this batch's shortcomings!?)

Same exact thing I was thinking Gary... rolleyes.gif

I probably won't have a chance to try the latest OFBB, but I agree with Bobby on the matter of greatly reducing the age of the bourbon and not reducing the price. I much prefer having an age statement on the bottle. It tells me the bourbon was in barrels for at least that long a period and it costs money to age bourbon (others can say just how much, but it's certainly not zero). As much as I respect the skills and integrity of the master distillers, I suspect that other folks in the companies also get some say about what gets bottled, and when. We know (from another thread here) that the master distiller doesn't have the only say on bottling proof. I really don't like paying premium OLD BOURBON prices for very young bourbon. I know there are honey barrels, but why pay the same as for old honey barrels? Maybe I'm cynical, but I find it suspicious when the first several releases are aged a long time and then the next batch is only 60% as old. This is why I prefer having an age statement: it makes it harder for the distillery to increase profits by using younger whiskey. In fact, as much as I like Stagg, this is the one thing that bothers me about it: why isn't the age on the bottle? The BT web site says, for example, that Stagg 03 is 15 years old, so why isn't it on the bottle? The cynic in me says it is to keep options open: maybe they will have to do, say, an 8 YO (!!) for Stagg 0X someday. Is it really that hard to annually change a label in just that one place (other than proof)? And how come Sazerac is always 18 YO and Eagle Rare is always 17 YO? Are Stagg and OFBB just serendipity things: no guarantee they will even exist at all, year to year, unless the master distiller gets very lucky with his huge barrel stock? OK, sorry for the rant, but I agree with Bobby. soapbox.gif

Is it really that hard to annually change a label in just that one place (other than proof)?

I may be wrong Ed but I think any change on the label means that the whole thing has to get reaproved again through the government and I hear that process is a bitch. But even with that, I still understand and totally agree with everything you say. I think things like that are used as an 'out' as with this years BB.

And how come Sazerac is always 18 YO and Eagle Rare is always 17 YO? Are Stagg and OFBB just serendipity things: no guarantee they will even exist at all, year to year...

I've wondered the same thing, keeping the Pappy 20 and 23 in mind. I'd rather see them skip a year with one of these bourbons and keep something close to a uniform taste profile than to bottle inferior bourbon just to keep the name alive annually.

Bobby,

The age does not bother me if this product taste better than the normal product. I don't believe older is always better. That is the problem I have with some of the designer products out there now is that the product may be 12+ years old but still has a harsh taste.

I know from talking with Chris Morris that the Birthday Bourbon is supose to be different every year. There is no set rule for age or proof, but Mr. Brown thinks that high proof products are irresponsible on the industry's part. ( I dissagree especially when you consider that a drunk is not going to spend $40.00 on a product to get drunk on. This type of product is for the more appreciative drinker.) I know that Chris is pushing for a 135 month old and 135 proof product next year to celebrate Old Forester's 135th birthday. I say that is great, as long as the bourbon is a superior bourbon and not chosen simply because it meets the age and proof requirements.

Mike Veach

In my opinion, we need a bad year to compare the good years to. If every year just got better and better, what would we expect next? I think every distiller has a responsibility to produce an Edsel, so the Mustangs and Thunderbirds can appear outstanding in comparison. Has every EWSB been outstanding? I don't think so. No break in price there. I will purchase the OFBB, taste it and then decide to bunker or not. I have more 2003 Stagg than 2002. I will nurse it carefully and remember it affectionately when its gone.

I'm being the devil's advocate, but realize that even Babe Ruth didn't hit a home run everyday. I won't assume that 8 year is worse than 10 or 12 until I give it the once over.

If it does turn out to be a lemon, we should respond with our wallets and leave them with a whole bunch they can't sell.

stickpoke.gif

Preliminaryy 4 OFBB Shootout:

After my mini-diatribe, I figure I better put my shot glass where my mouth is.

I poured 1.0 oz pours of '89, Spring '90, Fall '90 and Fall '95 iterations of OFBB into Riedel Bourbon Glasses

Here's my preliminary winners by Characteristic

1. Aroma: '89 the clear winner, '95 second and a tie for third between the '90's

2. Color: '89 is the darkest, although the differences are minor. '95 comes in second with an orange hue that promises flavor

3. Neat: Entry: Spring 90 wins with Honey, Orange and spicy toasted oak and vanilla. I give second to the sl molasses/br sugar of '95 and runner up honors to the rest.

4. Mid Palate: As above with spring'90 giving a little leather and chocolate, while the others lean to ripe fruit (apple)

5 Finish: '89: Bright, rye spicy, warming and long, the fall '90 second, spring '90 3rd and '95 dead last.

5. w/ H20: All open up nicely and their individual characters become distinct. I give winning honors to fall '90 for mint, Spring '90 for peppery/orange, '89 for overripe apple, and last to '95 for nutmeg/eggnog.

Overall Winner: '89, 'spring '90, Fall '90 and last but not least '95.

I still think all are worth buying. The interesting aroma of the '95 sets it up to be good, but the entry and finish don't live up to it. Hot and spicy in the middle of the tongue (rather the edges) is a distraction.

toast.gif

My impression of his comments on price, though, had more to do with price based on cost to the distillery as opposed to price based on supply and demand.

If you take the view that the price is based more on cost to the distillery, and the fact that each year, the distillery gets taxed for a product that is also evaporating or leaching out of the barrel, then I can see how you might take offense at not lowering the price if the product is not nearly as old as it used to be.

If you take the view that the price is based on supply and demand, then they ought to be able to charge whatever they can get for it!

I think I will soon pop open a Pendennis Club( 7 year Old Forester bottled for the Rich Old Boys Club in Louisville)and see how it stands to the Fall95 Birthday. Certainly the better each year cycle has been broken, and as you say that would become impossible to pull off at some point. As far as buying it goes I have one and most likely will have more as well. I'm still disappointed with this years expression.

Bobby,

I understand what you're saying and agree 100%. 8 years? I hear all the rapid aging blah, blah. skep.gif

I loved last year's Spring expression (ripped right thru 2 bottles). Fall, not so much, but still excellent.

So, I will most likely buy a bottle of the newest. (Is anyone going to bring one to the Gazebo?) They've come thru so impressively in the past, you gotta trust 'em.

But, I can't help but think, Time is Money. I'm not trying to kick up dust, and I understand about the honey barrels , and the taste profile...but... skep.gif I can't wait to taste, and I sure hope they deliver.

Shoot, EW Black label is 7 years old.

• 1 month later...

Still waiting for OFBB '95 to hit the Maryland stores . I have some bottles ordered and they were scheduled to make their grand appearance but... no luck yet. Anybody else having any success??

Still waiting for OFBB '95 to hit the Maryland stores . I have some bottles ordered and they were scheduled to make their grand appearance but... no luck yet. Anybody else having any success??

Central Liquors in DC claims to have it, but they want a whopping $49.99 for it! I'm determined to try it some time, but based on the less-than-stellar reviews and that insane markup I may hold off awhile.

Mr. Ed,

About the Birthday bourbon - I agree with what you said. Wish I could add something but I can't - you have nailed it.

Cheers,

Marvin

Finally arrived in Maryland. I will pick up 3 bottles tomorrow and post the price for our East Coast crowd.

Finally got my stash of '95. It's same price as last year so I got it on the shelf at $40. Darn...I haven't tasted this one. I've got way too much whiskey a waitin' on me. Really appreciated Ed's notes to get me started.

Finally arrived in Maryland. I will pick up 3 bottles tomorrow and post the price for our East Coast crowd.

$34.99 for the OFBB. Also grabbed a 1783 EW-$8.49, Rebel Yell-$10.99, Weller Antique-$16.99.

They also found a Booker's Commemorative for me.

I'm shocked. I thought those were not to be had.

This is the limited edition(3,000 bottles). The retailer said that his distributor received a few six packs. Three bottles are coming to his store. He offered one to me which I graciously accepted. I don't know how much it will cost but on another SB.com thread I see a wide range of prices.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.