Old Fitzgerald BIB

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Dang, this is serious stuff! When Bobby and Paradox prostrate themselves in worship, you know someone has mother lode in the bunker!

Yep, seeing that I live in NC. Barney is on the other side and a Carolina Hurricanes flag waving from the passenger door. A coworker photochopped it last year during the Stanley Cup run.

I know it's kind of hard to see the flag or Barney. So, here is the full photo.

post-120-14489811143371_thumb.jpg

Excellent , Did you read the thread , We're all Barney's on this Bus? Classic Cox and Spencer! grin.gif

sorry i don,t have a digital camera or i would post all of my stitzel-weller bottlings. i would,nt know how to use the camera anyway, still learning how to type on this keyboard. life is good--den

You know, Old Fitz BIB has probably suprised me more than any other bourbon. I don't know why, but my impressions prior to tasting were that this was a solid bottom shelf brand. Dave's comments didn't help matters wink.gif After trying it I must say that this is a great bourbon. I love the vanilla sweet aftertaste that lingers around for a long time. I think that the marketing people for OF BIB do it a disservice. A little bit of flashyness in the packaging and people would flock to it. And unfortunately the price would rise as well. I take that back, OF BIB is best kept as our little secret smirk.gif

I'd like to try some of the Old Fitz BIB, but I want to be sure I'm getting the right bottling. I live in Southern New Jersey, so the local selection is VERY limited. I looked at the Straight Bourbon list of bottlings (from main page click on "Brands", then "Bottlings") and I see three with the Old Fitz name:

Old Fitzgerald 1849 , Heaven Hill , 8 years old, 90°

Old Fitzgerald Prime Bourbon , Heaven Hill , 80°

Old Fitzgerald Prime Bourbon , Heaven Hill , 86°

Is one of these the BIB you keep refering to or is there another I should be hunting for? Any online sales?

BIB is 100 proof. If you can look at the older established liquor stores for things that have been there a while, If you see DSP16 on the label, you found the Motherlode! Good luck. There is still some around , The search is on! grin.gif

look for the green label. It will say 100 proof and Bottled in Bond. It goes for around 15.00 a fifth.

All of the Old Fitz expressions are very good (although the BIB is my favorite). They're all good values too. It has long been my belief that Old Fitz is one of the secret treasures of bourbon country.

Hooked that DSP16 1.75 of OF BIB. Then I thought I found the motherlode of JW Dant. Distilled at DSP113 and Bottled at DSP 16 , they were 4 deep 750ml and Liter's but upon closer inspection only the front facings of each were Dsp113 and Dsp16, the others are Dsp 31 but they are still rather old . Is it any good ? Don't know yet , but I can Hope! grin.gif

Let me know if the JW Dant is good. Please tell me separately for each DSP. wink.gif

Thanks, Tim

Well it would seem that I have found quite a relic here. According to Sam Cecil Dsp 113 now is the Buffalo Trace distillery, there's a lot to about the machinations of Schenley buying the Dant distillery , JW Dant at the time ( early 50s) was a hot item. Schenley had overproduced at BT in anticipation of a mandatory shortdown because of the Korean Conflict, as was the case in WWII but did not occur. How Stitzel Weller got the bottling of this is unknown to me. I like the HH version of JW Dant , It is an in your face Bourbon and a little rough here and there. I haven't pulled the plug yet on DSP 113/16 . It may turn out very good indeed. grin.gif

I have a small amount ( DSP113/DSP16) and am getting aquainted with it. It has a definate Alcohol burn . Not unpleasant , I will say this isn't as good as Stagg, It's not better than OFBB. I wish some of the Straight Bourbonians could take a touch of this one. They may not have gone to great pains to make this Bourbon , probably just a production run. It isn't bad, actually very good. Tim , I'll save you a sip! grin.gif

Hey Bobby when was the old fitz 1.75 bottled. hope it is and old one and does it have dsp-16 only on the bottle or 16 and 24. enjoy !! life is good--den

Sorry, I'm confused a little. Have located some Old Fitz BB that was made by 16 and bottled by another ..now is this good or does the bottler matter..and if so why? confused.gif

Read all the post on Old Fitzgerald BIB-what great reviews! Had a couple of new bottles so I popped the cork on one and there was nothing there. Spent the next couple of days scouring the countryside and finally found it " an old bottle of Fitz" but not much there either. Read barrel proofs tasting and was really looking forward to those peanuts, but there were none to be found. Just don't know what all the fuss is about-not a bad bourbon but not a good one and a long ways from being a great bourbon. The only thing that got me going on this is what barrel -proof said "full of peanuts" and I love peanuts but just were not there! I think this was a great bourbon in days gone by, but by the standards of today it is way down on the list. Seems like when they resurrect a bourbon it is just never the same, certainly true in this case! Sure would have loved them peanuts!!!

Cheers,

Marvin

Marvin,

Back when I was a kid, we used to put a whole bag (five cents worth) of Planter's peanuts into a bottle of Coca Cola (another five cents).

Maybe you could try adding just one peanut to a shot of bourbon, and letting it sit a while to absorb some of the peanut flavor, for a sort of Kentucky Planter's Punch. grin.gif

BTW, as I've posted before in other threads, I'm among those who just don't get it in regard to Old Fitz BIB.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Dave,

I forgot all about that trick-I used to do that when I was a kid-maybe I'll just give that a try! But, Dave I understand what you are talking about - I just don't get it with Old Fitz either. There isn't much there. Just thinking, at my age I'd probably choke on those damn peanuts!!!!

Cheers,

Marvin

If I recall correctly, Dave thinks his bottle might have been bad. Have you tried it lately Dave? I am almost positive that the only OF BIB that I have tried has been the newer stuff. Won't win any tasting awards, but certainly better than many IMHO. But hey, I think Knob Creek tastes like battery acid, what do I know? crazy.gif

In the 1970's when I started to sample bourbons and straight rye, I learned Old Fitzgerald was made from a corn and wheat mash. I really liked it, initially more than bourbon made from corn/rye, but only (oddly maybe) the 80 proof. As issued by the distillery it had the perfect balance. I tried the 1849 plus other versions including the bonded one, and they never seemed as good. I think the dilution to 80 proof brought out the full smooth complexity of this bourbon. I used to buy higher proof or older Old Fitz" and could never get the taste or balance like the distillery. I think the 80 had a red and white label. (I should say too I drink bourbon undiluted so my approach to proof is affected by that). Since the ownership changes of the brand I have not had the chance to taste any version of Old Fitz. I am hoping that, as put out by HH (a company I much respect), the 80 abv. has the flavour I recall from the late 70's. But I wonder based on these current reports..

Cy

Marvin: Check the DSPs on your BIB. There have been wide variations in profiles noted lately for Old Fitz. My Cracker Jack BIB bottle reads: distilled by DSP-KY-1; bottled at DSP-KY-31. I'm gonna have to bring the Cracker Jack AND the BIB to Bardstown, it appears.

Jeff,

I have suggested the "bad bottle" theory mainly because I have so much respect for the tasting abilities of others here who like the Old Fitz BIB so much. The fact is that I did not detect any off-taste in the nose or on the palate. My only complaint was in regard to the finish, which I found to be unbearably harsh (when drunk neat, which is my customary way).

No, I have not yet given it another try. As I've mentioned before, I really intended to, but I ended up with the 1849 (did I get the year right this time?), instead. [Pause for a run to the kitchen liquor shelf for a little memory jigger, er, uh, make that "jogger"...]

The 1849 (it's David Nicholson that's "1843", right?) is drinkable, lacking the chainsaw finish that I recall in the BIB (#1/#37, IIRC). However, I find the nose to be caramel-sweet but scant, the palate more like hickory shells than peanuts, and the finish even more hickory-like, which is to say, dry to the point of bitterness. In short, there's not much I can say to recommend it, except that I like it better than the BIB.

Of course, I might perceive it differently when the remnants of this head cold go away. I seem to recall that I liked it better than this when I first opened it. I may even have posted to that effect.

Regarding Knob Creek, I have found that I like it better in a bar than I do at home. I can't explain why. At home it has a taste that reminds me of burned toast.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

I hope, no body is trying to nip on battery acid. I bet it's really sour wink.gif . I have a 2 shots of OF BIB in front on me. The bottle says DSP-KY-1, bottled at DSP-KY-31. There is a mustiness that comes across as nutty. It does remind me of a bag of peanuts or any other roasted nut. It's a good bourbon, I have had better, but I tried worse. But it's bargain for around $15.

mark h.

It only says DSP 16 on it. I have another that says Distilled @ DSP1 , Bottled @ Dsp 24 . I didn't make it to Kuhls yet. grin.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.