Bourbon and steak

empire
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I want to do a steak in bourbon and I want to know if I should put the steak in a dish and let it soak it up all night, or should I coat it as a glaze as I go along (bearing in mind I will be cooking it on a griddle so I will have access to constantly coat it)

Also which bourbon would you gentleman recomend is the best one to use out of my current selection: BT, ORVW 10yo and WT 8yo? Many thanks.

I usually marinate the steak in bourbon for a few hours. The length of time you marinate is of course subjective, so expirement. As far as which bottling to use, which do you most like to drink? Use that one.

Be very careful using bourbon as a glaze, particularly when grilling. You might not be able to see an alcohol flame burning.

You could use an old smalltown Missouri recipe which I would only recommend using with a frozen steak:

Take steak from freezer, unwrap from freezer paper and hold over bowl.

Pour bourbon over steak catching the drippings in bowl.

Put steak back in freezer paper and put back in freezer.

Drink drippings.

Repeat as often as needed.

Come to Missouri, where the cooking is awful, but the cooks are very happy. smilielol.gif

Hey, I resent that! Doctor Bourbonstein's Monster was a completely vegetarian amalgamation with hints of garlic and oregano derived from the used pasta sauce jar, not beef. stickpoke.gif

I just recently bbq'd a steak I had marinated for about 4 hrs in WT 101 - It was very good. Next time I am going to marinate it for at lest 48 hrs, then burn it.

BTW, watch out for the nice blue flame when you plop that baby on the grill grin.gif

toast.gif

It smelled of decomposing flesh, but went down pretty smooth.

Wow, what a coincidence. That's the first sentence of my new novel.

We recently had a restaurant friend cook us up some elk tenderloin in various dishes. (We hate being the test kitchen, ya know. yum.gif) To return the favor, I brought out my open Pappy 23. Of course, no marinadin' was happenin' but some seranadin' maybe occurred. The 23 was so good with elk carpaccio, tenderloin with raspberry sauce, and on and on.

I'm gonna have to now try my hand at marinating some elk (with something not so esoteric as Pappy 23). Can't be any better than just drinkin' the booze while eating the beast, though.

I'm gonna have to now try my hand at marinating some elk.

Damn, that was going to be the second line of my new novel.

• 4 weeks later...

I was contemplating marinating some steak in the Jim Beam Small Batch Bourbon & Port....

I'll leave it for an hour or two and see what it tastes like.

Stupid question - how much bourbon should I use?

I used to mix a few things and Bourbon together and put 4 ribeyes and the marinade together in a zip lock . I had to turn it a few times. I never " Float" mine that's for sure. toast.gif

I'm gonna have to now try my hand at marinating some elk.

Old Grand Dad is my dry meat ("moose jerky" to non-Alaskans) flavoring of choice. A quick dip through the "sauce" before hanging the meat to dry does the trick! Nothing like bourbon with your chewy moose meat!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.