Elijah Craig 18 yo

nysquire
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Not only is it good, the packaging makes a great gift item. I suggest giving it to someone who will be happy to share!!

I'm drinking a dram of it right now - Barrel No. 995, barreled on 12-17-81. I have to admit I was a little disappointed with it considering my favorite bourbon is Elijah Craig 12. I absolutely adore EC 12. When I first saw a bottle of this EC 18 I grabbed it and jumped for joy. I couldn't believe my favorite bourbon came in an older bottling. But when I tried it, it just didn't have that flavor that the 12-year-old had. I will say that it has grown on me though. After my first taste I didn't think I would buy another bottle. But now that it's almost empty after drinking it occasionally for the last few months I feel this is definitely one bourbon I can drink and enjoy. I won’t put it above the EC 12 but I will put it above a lot of other bourbons I have bought.

Anyway, definitely go and get yourself a bottle. I will probably finish off my last few ounces on election night. If my guy wins, I will drink a dram in celebration. If he looses I will drink a dram of it to celebrate our democratic republic!

I recently got a bottle of EC18, and I must say that I'm very impressed with it. It does have a lot of wood/oak flavour to it, but is still quite complex, extremely smooth, but a surprising amount of bite for the proof. Haven't had a lot of the stuff as I'm saving it for special occassions, but I'll definately get it again from 2 drinks experience.

I think it really brings out its flavours right after other bourbons, especially the Woodford Reserve or Rare Breed. Also interestingly, I'm going a bit off the EC12 since the weather is getting hotter around these parts. I think the EWSB94 works better as a summer drink, but EC12 got me through the winter...

Cam,

I got it from overseas when my folks went to the states. However there is a 1 bottle that I know of very close to me. However it was left over when the old importer stopped doing the line and liquorland picked them up. If you want it for the $110 asking price, i'll organise it for you. However if you wanted to spend that much on bourbon, then Blanton's Gold or Knob Creek and Booker's would be also a decent buy.

EC18 is a lovely drink, but it's one that requires a certain mood to drink it.

We recently reviewed Elijah Craid 18 YO for our magazine. My bottle was put in the barrel in 1981. This is probably one of my favorite bourbons of all time. Absolutley fantastic bourbon, with hints of cedar, licorice and black cherry. I am currently on a mad hunt for more bottles from the same barrel. bowdown.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Hello GrayFox, just curious, but which barrel of Elijah Craig 18 did your reviewed bottle come from? I visited your web site and it doesn't say. I have a pour from barrel 952 (barreled 6/15/1982) in front of me right now and it is superb. Glad I have more. By the way, your review says

*** While this bottle spent 18 years in the barrel, it was barreled in 1981, making it technically a 23 year old bourbon.***

Actually, it's technically just 18 years old: only time in the barrel counts, the rest is irrelevant. Cheers, Ed V.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello GrayFox, just curious, but which barrel of Elijah Craig 18 did your reviewed bottle come from? I visited your web site and it doesn't say. I have a pour from barrel 952 (barreled 6/15/1982) in front of me right now and it is superb. Glad I have more. By the way, your review says

*** While this bottle spent 18 years in the barrel, it was barreled in 1981, making it technically a 23 year old bourbon.***

Actually, it's technically just 18 years old: only time in the barrel counts, the rest is irrelevant. Cheers, Ed V.

Ed,

You are quite right. Re-reading that passage I realize I worded that all wrong. In my ungraceful fashion, I was trying to explain that the bottle I had was from 1981 so that the reader would understand which year I got it from. I realize now that I left the complete wrong impression about the age of the bourbon.

As for my bottle, it was put in the barrel on 12.17.81 and came from barrel 999.

Cheers!! toast.gif

I have to say I vote thumbs up on this expression but do not buy or stock it. Abought eight years ago my law partner and I had to make a pragmatic study, (as in buying, sampling, comparing and otherwise judging), which Bourbon would be purchased by the case and given out as holiday gifts from our firm. Purely a business expense but it had to be done by us indivually so that we could make certain that the quality of choice would properly reflect the image of our firm. We decided EC 12 was the best choice of what was available at the time.

Imagine our surprise when we chanced by a local store during lunch to find an 18yr EC expression priced at $17.99 a bottle. Asked how many of these they had, was informed only a case had been alloted, one bottle had been sold and counting the one I had in hand there were 10 available. We grabbed another bottle of equal value and got the case

discount. On the way back to the office got a call on the car phone, (pre-cell days), from the office saying the store owner was calling to say there was a "mistake".

Called him back when I got to the office and he wanted to "adjust" my card charge because the bottle price was "mislabeled". After a short conversation we determined the problem was his and not mine and I got a case of the stuff for the sticker price I had paid.

Mike and I called a few guys saying come over after five, we've got something here and would like some opinions.

Six guys around a conference table, ice container, clean water and an unopened bottle of EC 18. After a pour and taste the two Bourbon guys reached for ice cubes and water, the two hard core Sctoch reached for the same, myself and the guy across the table from me at almost the same time said, "its almost more a Cognac than a Whiskey"

And that's my take on the EC 18. I'm glad HH puts this stuff out but wish they would simply eschew the fancy bottle and useless cork. Just make me a good dram in a simple bottle and I'll pay what ever the whiskey is worth.

Regards,

Squire

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.