Museum Project and Associated Whiskey Trail

Gillman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On www.whiskymag.com a story datelined October 20 states that the American Distilled Spirits Council is establishing a museum on whiskey at the site George Washington distilled. As many know here, work has been ongoing for some years at the site, Mount Vernon outside Washington, D.C., to uncover remains of the distillery's works. This is the site too where rye whiskey was ceremonially distilled last year using an historical-type pot still. Also, the story states the Council is establishing the Whiskey Trail which will encompass other museums and distilleries of course in numerous states.

Gary

Excellent article. It seems in his 10% specialty production were progressively distilled versions of the common whiskey (which was probably a rough low wines, maybe like the 25 proof Michter's quarter whiskey discussed on the board recently). I would think the "strong" version was 190 proof and likely the purest (cleanest) in taste. The other versions, i.e., "rectified", "extra rectified" etc., probably were between this high proof level and that of common whiskey. Why "rye" whiskey was a separate category seems hard to understand since rye was a part of all the whiskey Washington made, I believe. Maybe it was an aged whiskey. The reference to storage in the article suggests some whiskey was aged for a certain time at least although the author makes no reference to the subject of aging. The use of cinammon and persimmon is interesting. I used to think drinks like cinammon schnapps were an oddity of the spirits world; now I see this drink may be close to one of the whiskeys made by George Washington. Who knew? smile.gif

Gary

The DISCUS PR machine has been cranking lately. I've seen variations on the "George Washington, Distiller" story in all sorts of places. It has sucked some of the oxygen away from my book promotion, but there's always something.

I wonder if anyone here who has been to Mt. Vernon recently, either for one of the DISCUS events or otherwise, can tell us if there's anything to see there now, other than a hole in the ground?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.