Beam Small Batch vs. Dalmore Tour/Tasting

TNbourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I had the pleasure of attending an invitation-only "Scotch or Bourbon?" tasting/debate/seminar tonight in Nashville with my liquor-store boss, listening to Fred Noe and Dalmore master blender Richard Patterson challenge each other in a good-natured and tongue-in-cheek give-and-take.

The program was in the form of a mock debate, with Noe and Patterson alternately presenting the cases for their respective products (with tasting samples for the audience), rebutting the other, and fielding questions.

The tastings included Dalmore's 12- and 21-year-old single malts as well as its Cigar Malt and 30yo Stillman's Dram. On the bourbon side were, of course, the Small Batch Collection of Basil Hayden's, Baker's, Knob Creek and Bookers.

Both gentlemen were entertaining, with Noe at one point downing a several-gulps swig of Knob Creek straight from the bottle, and kilt-clad Patterson literally spitting out his disdain for the English while unceremoniously littering the stage area with 'unneeded' ice cubes and rinse water.

And, while onlookers clearly were more syphathetic to the bourbon side of the argument, the highlight of the evening for those of us bold enough to ask for it was a sample of 62yo Dalmore single malt about which Jim Murray writes in his 2004 Whiskey Bible: "I sit here stunned and in awe."

It truly was a once-in-a-lifetime experience, as Patterson said only 6 bottles were made -- each sold for more than $41,000 apiece. What a treat to be one of the few dozen people who will ever taste it!

Although I remain a confirmed bourbon drinker, that 62yo dram was as good as any whisk(e)y (or other spirit) I ever hope to taste. Think of the best toffee you've ever had dipped in a coffee liqueur spiked with oloroso sherry. Just the slightest hint of peat. I hardly know how to describe it further.

Noe also offered a taste of new-make Jim Beam high wine, suffused with wet corn and little else, an excellent primer on the very basic importance and value of charred oak to bourbon.

Additionally, Noe offered up in a silent auction one of the Booker Noe tribute bottles of Booker's, with proceeds to charity. Bidding began at $100, and was over $250 last I noticed.

All in all, it was an enjoyable and educational evening.

A very interesting evening and well-reported. I think the whiskeys were well-chosen for comparison: Dalmore is an accessible malt, balanced yet full-flavored. The same can be said for the Beam small batch whiskies that were tasted. At the top of the range, Dalmore 21 year old and Bookers are a perfect match, both are finely flavored, full and complex whiskies. The chance to taste the 62 year old whisky was clearly a very special occasion. You've got me thinking of trying to duplicate it (3 parts Macallan, one part Kahlua, one part Weller's Centennial, maybe? smile.gif).

The presenters are amongst the most experienced whisky industry people in the world, I am sure their insights were very valuable.

For those who would like to try an accessible single malt, Dalmore is a great choice. It has (even young) a chocolaty-type (or cocoa-like) taste, with fruity accents, and only a light peat taste if at all. Another whiskey I'd compare to older Dalmore to is ORVW's Pappy 15 year old which is very fine. I often bracket whiskies that don't taste "the same" but have a similar balance of oak flavor, fruit flavour and other elements.

Gary

Tim,

At WhiskyFest in NY on Monday evening, the did their "Bourbon vs. Single Malt" talk as well, which I did not attend. However, there was a 50 Year Old Dalmore, which was available for tasting, but only with a donation to the American Red Cross. I would have gladly done so, but the donation amount for this tasting was $50! I did taste the Ardbeg Provenance, distilled in 1974, for a $20 donation, and it was VERY good. Lots and lots of peated smoke, some level of saltiness, and it was well worth the money to have an opportunity to try it. I'm glad you got to taste the 62 Year Old. Wow, what a great opportunity. Hats off to you! toast.gif

Bob

A couple corrections/clarifications on my earlier post (after deciphering my frantically scribbled notes and double-checking Dalmore's website):

I think there were originally 12 bottles of the Dalmore 62yo (Still a great rarity, huh?!), and the six I noted were the ones offered for sale at auction.

And, I believe it was only the top seller that went for over $41,000 -- not all of them, as I previously stated -- though they all DID go for over 10,000 Pounds Sterling.

The thrill of tasting it I reported absolutely accurately.yum.giftoast.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.