Sazerac

jace33
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I just prechased Sazerac and I'm am impressed with it's peppery tatse and smooth finish must be Irish/french/canadain influnce from my mother side of the faimly,my father is pure Kentucky mutt.

Now if I were a smart marketing type I would agree with your assessment of the 18 year old Sazerac Rye Whiskey. But to tell you the truth, it is a bit too peppery and oaky for me. We are considering releasing a younger rye (of course at BTD, younger is never too young). I will let you know if it sees the light of day.

Ken

Hey Ken,

I like oak and other bold flavors. Like big, bold, brassy women too (woops, sorry darling, didn't see you standing there) but individual tastes preferances are as unique as our fingerprints.

I appreciate an industry guy like yourself comming on board here and giving an honest opinion as opposed to "talking points".

Regards,

Squire

I'm getting the impression that everybody's rye these days is "barely legal," i.e., right at the legal minimum of 51% rye.

I wonder if the market isn't ready for a ryeier rye?

(I'm not counting Old Portero which is just...weird.)

We are considering releasing a younger rye

Now, this is good news! Please keep that ambition alive, Ken!

As for Old Potrero : Chuck, have you really tried the straight rye version? The impression I get from reading people´s posts is that most tried the early non-straight version (which I agree is, in an American context, somewhat out on a limb) and then gave up. The (approximately) 4yo straight rye is a wonderful whiskey worthy of anyone´s attention.

• 4 weeks later...

Opened my bottle of Sazerac 2004 tonight and I have to admit to being seriously disappointed compared to Sazerac 2001, the only other Saz I've tried to date. I'm miserably poor at tasting notes, but the 2004 had a very strange aftertaste, not acetone, not camphor, but something very weird, compared to the 2001. I never bothered bunkering the 2002 or 2003 Saz's, but have plenty of 2001 bunkered. Thank god! I definitely will not be getting any more Saz 2004, but Eagle Rare 2004 is relatively easy to get (go figure: the producton numbers of 4134 bottles of Stagg 2004, 2550 bottles of Sazerac 2004, and 1050 bottles of Eagle Rare 2004, are apparent anorak crap considering what actually shows up in a given state) so I may get 3 or 4 bottles of Eagle Rare 2004. Yeah, it's no Stagg, but Stagg is almost unavailable in MA and surrounding states, and shipping in is illegal, period. Cheers and Merry Christmas, Ed V.

New Hampshire will be receiving some Stagg ER 17 and Sazerac. You can get it transferred to a NH state store closest to the NH - MA border.

• 1 month later...

Just wondering if anyone else had similar observations on the 2004 release. I suspect that is what's available at an out-of-town store I visit sometimes.

Bob

• 1 month later...

Well, it was the 2003 release, and I got the last bottle. I'll have to spend some time with this. Obviously, much more going on in the whiskey than I can really identify. Glad I picked it up.

Bob

I think that even if you take your time and savor this powerhouse of flavors, you're going to find a new surprise every time you pour a taste. You have the equivalent of a whole candy store in that bottle and if you're like me you'll never be quite prepared for all the flavors that will pop up when least expected. Enjoy

I think (and hope) you're right. I've experienced some of that this winter with OGD 114, which I like in the cold weather. It changes some with mood, food, etc. I can tell the Sazerac will be even a bigger variety of surprises.

Bob

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.